newbie thoughts and Qs

New here and in process of making a decision on a trike -- pretty sure the decision on doing it is over -- now it's just what. Will be riding both two up and alone.

We are on Medicare -- so post 65 but just by a few years and currently ride a Harley Roadking - 05 with 40k.

Have taken a shortride on a Harley Motor trike conversion and a little longer one on a Spyder RT. And looked at a Hannigan. It is different but everything I read says 500 miles and you and the change curve is over!!

Looking to trya Goldwing, but having trouble finding one to test. guess I need to go into dallas -- 100 miles away.

trying to decide on converting mine or buying something used - can't take the price of a new one.

i understand everyone has favorite conversions - but any big warnings for any of them??

Sorry for the ramble -- guess i am looking for any support and suggestions that are out ther.
Rick

IMHO they all have good points none are soooo bad that you will hate it. I personally ride a DFT ... I love it. Would I buy another one?. Yes if the price was right.They are very expensive. I love the look of the new Champion and with the I RS I may lean (no pun intended ) toward that or the Roadsmith. There is a CAMP that likes the solid axle better, they say they are better in the twisties. So see what I am driving at. If you buy used Mileage is not always the best indicator . Bikes today with 50K are still running like new.

How was it maintained who built it, is there a dealer near by.
Converting yours is a great idea , you have it the way you like it you know what you have.

Cost wise it may be cheaper to convert it. There are a few builders on this forum.

Hi retyred, and a big welcome to TrikeTalk.
Like John says, all of the conversion companies are good. Some are a lot more expensive than others, but if they have what is right for you and your needs, they are definitely worth it! Several of them offer independent suspension which I understand is great. I personally have the Champion solid axle on my Fat Boy, and I love it. I would go that way again without hesitation. Quality and price of Champion are excellent!

40,000 miles on your Road King is not very much. If you like the bike, have had no problems with it, have accessorized to your taste, etc., you will be money ahead to have it converted with the kit of your choice. Ideally you will find a trike builder near your location, and that may weigh into your decision on which kit to use.

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress :)

Welcome aboard retyred,

If you are handy with hand tools at all I would suggest you consider doing the conversion yourself. I converted my 07 Police Road King. Go to my album for pictures. I did a lot more than just a conversion because I also made the Road King into a Road Glide. The Champion conversion I have is the solid axle. I have put over 15k on it in the 13 months since I did the conversion. I love it. I have done all kinds of roads from Super slabs to sandy dirt even twisties in the mountains. All weather even sleet. No issues.

If your are not handy then see if you can find a shop to do it.

Using your Road King will save you a lot. Unless you have a buyer in mind your Road King is worth less than you would expect in this economy. A Champion conversion will be about 10K delivered depending on what you get. Labor for a Champion should be about 25 to 30 hours maybe less for a veteran shop.

Whatever you do look into it real good. All the major conversions are good it's just your likes and what shop is near you that are the biggest decision factors.

retyred. Go to the Champion Side Car web site. There you will find a place to down load the assembly manual. Down load the one that you are interested in and look it over. That way you can see if you might be able to do it yourself.

retyred. Go to the Champion Side Car web site. There you will find a place to down load the assembly manual. Down load the one that you are interested in and look it over. That way you can see if you might be able to do it yourself.

Tahnks for the suggestion-- I downloaded the manual and went thru quite abit of it -- thinking it's beyond me somewhat.

Going to visit Motor Trike factory on Wed.

Hey Retyred! I agree with Nana. You know your bike, can't afford a new one, so why buy someone else's problems? I'm a newbee, too. We converted our Roadking last Fall, and used Nutting, just north of Grove Oklahoma. We couldn't be happier. But, like everyone else, we think our's is best. Oh, I just posted two photos in the Garage link. Best of luck!

Before you give up on doing it yourself, take a look at Roadsmith. There are a couple of us who've done our own Roadsmith conversions. Smokin Joe did a Honda & I did a Harley. To me it was easy, but then too, I'm a retired heavy equipment mechanic/weldor. The only part I had to have a hand with was snaking the cross member through the belt & only then because my big floor jack was broke -- my little one was holding the rear of the transmission up. You can also download the conversion instruction manual from Roadsmith's site. Roadsmith, by the way is independent rear suspension. One of the big selling points for me with Roadsmith is the fact NONE of the suspension is attached to the swing arm pivot. With the rubber mounted engines, there's some problems with the stability of the swing arm in Harley's touring bikes before '09. For simplicity & a little easier on the pocket, have a look at Frankenstein Trikes.

Pup just had his Cross Bones done & posted a lot of pix.

It came out REALY nice. However, Frankenstein doesn't have a trunk & is a rigid axel. There are several companies that will not sell their kits to individuals & insist their people do the install, like CSC & Lehman. Read everything you can here. There's a TON of good information. Have a look at my album & Lil Pest's album for pix of my conversion. 'Pest figured out how to post pix before I did. Well, I WAS busy with the conversion! :yes: Smokin Joe also did a good job of posting pix of his conversion.

NM

Rick,

Hello from another East Texan although living in Frisco, TX now.

Born and raised in Tyler and lived at Hide-A-Way for thirteen years.

Before you go to Dallas and get stuck in traffic call H & W Honda in Marshall and see if they will let you ride a Wing trike, or better still go to Troup to the Motor Trike factory. I'll bet they will let you ride a Wing and a Harley trike, plus you could probably get a price on converting your Road King.

Keep us posted on how your trike search turns out.

If you are happy with your present bike, I'd trike it. (Just MHO) As others above have stated, there are really no "bad" trike conversions. There are "bad" installations unfortunately. Look at all of the available conversions mentioned above, test ride if you can, and go for it! I picked M/T for the body style and straight axle (fewer moving parts) a bit better in the twisties. I just had to hunt around until I found a 'dealer' who would sell me the kit so I could do my own. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, pick a dealer and ask about him here, we won't hold back! Also note that there are several trike builders right here on this board!

Good Luck with your research!!

UB

Come back here often as you like. .A lot of experience on this board and a lot of knowledge . A lot have been where you are now . Learn from our mistakes

A little update on the research. Rode out to motor Trike yesterday and had agreat tour with richard. He's been there 14 years and really seems to know the product -- He even spends some time out with the dealer closest to me, who incidently raved about the support form Motor Trike.
On the disappointing side a sat on -- did not ride -- a couple of Goldwings. It was not good for ME. My hips and knees are not so good and i found the leg position to be very cramping, which really surprised me. Just no room to move my feet forward or back unless on the pegs. I have reluctantly taken it off my list -- but open to suggestions
on a way to improve the position. i am sure some of you Wingers must have a little arthritis and would really like to know how you deal with it.
In the meantime -- i am learning a lot.

Rick

The factory seat on a GL1800 was not comfortable for me or my wife. My legs rubbed against the fairing wall and my knees were bent like you had your feet on the pegs of a crotch rocket. Very uncomfortable. I put a new seat on from Ultimate Seat. It moved me back 2.5 inches and up in height about 1.5 inches. The seat back for wife was also not as reclined as the factory seat back. The new seat along with a set of highway pegs really improved the ride and comfort level for me. You don't need to settle for factory stock with any brand of bike on the market. Make the bike fit you and enjoy the ride!

My 2010 Goldwing is in the shop now getting all "triked out".... looking forward to seeing it next month.............
I went with the Roadsmith conversion..(independent suspension)

PS. I never rode a trike b4... So this will b a new experience for me also@

Ronnie

Trike

New here and in process of making a decision on a trike -- pretty sure the decision on doing it is over -- now it's just what. Will be riding both two up and alone.

We are on Medicare -- so post 65 but just by a few years and currently ride a Harley Roadking - 05 with 40k.

Have taken a shortride on a Harley Motor trike conversion and a little longer one on a Spyder RT. And looked at a Hannigan. It is different but everything I read says 500 miles and you and the change curve is over!!

Looking to trya Goldwing, but having trouble finding one to test. guess I need to go into dallas -- 100 miles away.

trying to decide on converting mine or buying something used - can't take the price of a new one.

i understand everyone has favorite conversions - but any big warnings for any of them??

Sorry for the ramble -- guess i am looking for any support and suggestions that are out ther.
Rick

2016 Street Glide 2005 Honda Rune 2010 Goldwing CSC Trike

The Rune is the best bike I have ever owned.....I am 68 and have been riding the Trike since June. Absolutely love the trike

- - - Updated - - -

My 2010 Goldwing is in the shop now getting all "triked out"....

looking forward to seeing it next month.............
I went with the Roadsmith conversion..(independent suspension)

PS. I never rode a trike b4... So this will b a new experience for me also@

Ronnie

I also have a 2010 CSC Goldwing Trike and never before rode a Trike until this June.....You will love it

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png