trike set up questions....

May 6, 2010
Anderson SC
OK. I ordered a DFT kit for my 2008 streeet glide last Monday. I ordered the TG trees and skirt Friday. Tires and wheels today. Getting everything together for the build. I would like to get your opinions on a few things. Should I get the longer TG forks, Fork extenders, or keep my stock lenght forks with the TG trees? If I keep the stock lenght fork legs, Can I lower the rear to compensate? what pressures are you running in your tires? should I concider a gear change? It's a 103" with 255 cams and ported heads. Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have other questions as I get into triking.

mopar - There are some Harley builders here that will definitely give you the right advise. I on the other hand can give you totally useless advise on anything else. Good luck with the build and post pics of the progress.

Mopar I would suggest extending the forks rather than lowering the rear. The suspension travel on the touring HD is limited anyway. I run around 20 in the rear but I ride by myself. I run 30 in the rear shocks. As far as a gear change that will be up to you. I would suggest waiting. I have a police 07 with the 103 motor and I added S & S 510G cams, True Duals with Screaming Eagle mufflers, Stage 1 air cleaner, Power Commander and I love it the way it is. No gear change required on mine.

I'll probably ride solo also. I wasn't sure about thetire pressure. I think I'll start at 25 just because I weigh 260. The DFt doesn't have air shocks. It uses 4 adjustable coil overs to set ride height and cushion.

Engine wise, you're set up right if you have the breathing in & out & fuel that matches the cams & head work. I'm running a 95" with S&S .570 lift gear drive cams, no head work, SE A/C, true duals with Thunder Header slip ons & a power commander. Runs fine although once in a while I'd like a lower geared low gear. When I did my conversion, I found the extra length added to the exhaust necessitated some playing with the PC to stop the "stumbles" coming off idle. I'm running 1" under stock length on my front forks because I'd lowered the bike 1" front & rear. Handles OK, but I've dented the top of the fender from the suspension traveling too far. When the budget allows, I plan to switch to Soft Tail tubes which are 2" longer than Touring tubes & go back to stock touring length damper tubes, but keep the lowering kit springs with 2" spacers because of the higher spring rate. This will be a little more work than just switching to TG fork tube assemblies, but hopefully easier on the budget.

NM

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png