Review of Harley's 2016 Parts & Accessories for FreeWheeler

Sep 30, 2014
Grafton, OH, USA
Review of Harley's 2016 Parts & Accessories for FreeWheeler

Review of Harley's 2016 Parts & Accessories for FreeWheeler: DISMAL!

I guess this is what we can expect from Harley form here on.......

Another example of Harley's expected support of its products.....

Springman

What in particular are you guys looking for,for your Freewheeler?

IMO: I think Springman's point is that HD has done very little to promote and support the FREE. Publishing a small catalog for the TRI & FREE, whether it be online and/or print wouldn't be that much of a big deal. I mean all of us paying $24K+ for a $19K ride (FREE) seems the bucks are there. Plus all the hype put out there by HD regarding the "Rushmore Project" and what riders wanted, and then nothing. At least make some announcements about HD parts or customizing options that they are working on. C'mon H-D, give us something to look forward to. Like a decent windshield or deflectors. The dealers here in So. Cal. just seem to blow off any Freewheeler questions or concerns. :mad::mad:

Just be glad that you did not choose to go with a Can-Am, as there are very few after sale parts available for them from either the manufacturer or in aftermarket.

My guess is....as Trikes become more and more popular, and now that Harley has 2 models to choose from, Harley Davidson as well as aftermarket companies like DK will continue to come up with more and more new parts for us to customize and personalize our rides while also emptying our wallets.

Myself the biggest immediate add on I'm looking for is fork mounted wind deflectors. There are times when conditions are right that the updraft plays heck with my glasses causing blurry vision.

I understand,completely. H-D's new style fork wind deflectors will not fit our SG w/Auxiliary Lighting,without modifying them. So,I'm thinking about buying them anyway and having some holes waterjet-milled to clear the back of the turn signals. Total cost will be about the same cost as the JES fangs.
I like the looks of the H-D fangs better.

IMO: I think Springman's point is that HD has done very little to promote and support the FREE. Publishing a small catalog for the TRI & FREE, whether it be online and/or print wouldn't be that much of a big deal. I mean all of us paying $24K+ for a $19K ride (FREE) seems the bucks are there. Plus all the hype put out there by HD regarding the "Rushmore Project" and what riders wanted, and then nothing. At least make some announcements about HD parts or customizing options that they are working on. C'mon H-D, give us something to look forward to. Like a decent windshield or deflectors. The dealers here in So. Cal. just seem to blow off any Freewheeler questions or concerns. :mad::mad:

I think this is a good summation...........

The truth is that I think the Freewheeler will be another "Unrealized-Offering" by Harley-Davidson - and, the historical facts show there has been quite a few. But, alas, I am not going to worry over it; the fact is that it appears I am starting to once again be able to possibly ride on two-wheels again. And, to that end, I have started looking at motorcycles - just not Harleys. I have given them 30+ years; but, with recent issues with my Freewheeler service and the lack of manufacturer support for the model itself....I just don't seem to be able to bring myself to want another Harley.

I will keep my FLRT for now; but, I am unsure it will be long-term.

Springman

Harley Davidson doesn't make accessories, doo-dads, or goodies for their motorcycles, vendors do. Until they can see a HUGE market for their products they won't bother to develop or manufacture anything. This is the second year for the Freewheeler, it will take time. The crash bars on my Freewheeler were on my '08 Ultra. Drivers backrest came off my '09 Tri-Glide. Windshield from wife's '09 Deluxe.

Myself the biggest immediate add on I'm looking for is fork mounted wind deflectors. There are times when conditions are right that the updraft plays heck with my glasses causing blurry vision.
It can be done, just got to get more parts for the change.
Running/turn bar, like on cvo bikes, then they will work. The turn signal placement is the problem. You will have a small gap on the inward edge where the signals were. The fangs will slip under the running light mount and windshield mount.

I will be doing this next week. I will post photos and install.
HD wants over $240 for a back rest mount, it is the good one though, adjustable on the fly. But $240 for a mount, I don't think so.
Mine cost $3.86 and 3.5 hours of work. I had a mustang back rest pad.
Harley can do better, much better than what they are doing.

Harley Davidson doesn't make accessories, doo-dads, or goodies for their motorcycles.

I beg to differ. I have a 2015 Harley Davidson catalog of Genuine Motor Parts accessories that is 1 1/8" thick and chock full of "accessories, doo-dads and goodies for their motorcycles" including the Freewheeler and the Tri-Glide. Plus there are 19 pages of Freewheeler specific parts and 24 pages of Tri-Glide specific parts on their web site.

Saying that Harley Davidson does not offer accessories for their motorcycles is like saying that Kim Kardashian does not have a B.O.B. HD may not offer the parts that you personally want, but Harley Davidson are masters at offering accessories, doo-dads and shiney bits for their motorcycles, and IMO more so than probably any other brand.

I think the main thing screwball was referring to is that although they are not listed for the free some parts will still in fact fit.

Most HD models has the extension of parts fitting different bikes not just the one listed as fitment for a certain bike.
You can use tri glides mufflers on a free, all I do is shorten the z pipe, the off set. They fit perfectly then.
Even running lights not listed for the free, most of them do fit the free.

We are mainly looking for certain parts that are not listed to fit the free but is offered to other bikes as correct fitment.

I beg to differ. I have a 2015 Harley Davidson catalog of Genuine Motor Parts accessories that is 1 1/8" thick and chock full of "accessories, doo-dads and goodies for their motorcycles" including the Freewheeler and the Tri-Glide. Plus there are 19 pages of Freewheeler specific parts and 24 pages of Tri-Glide specific parts on their web site.

Saying that Harley Davidson does not offer accessories for their motorcycles is like saying that Kim Kardashian does not have a B.O.B. HD may not offer the parts that you personally want, but Harley Davidson are masters at offering accessories, doo-dads and shiney bits for their motorcycles, and IMO more so than probably any other brand.

Time to re-calibrate your Sarcasm Meter. :laugh:

What I said was that Harley Davidson doesn't manufacture any of the accessories, they sell other people's products under the Harley name.

Sears doesn't manufacture any tools or appliances. When I worked for them all Craftsman tools were manufactured by Mac Tools. Appliances where Whirlpool with the Kenmore name on it. It is called "Private labeling"

Until Mustang, or other seat makers see a lot of Harley Freewheelers, or other Harley bikes that use the same seat they probably won't bother to make one. No profit, no reason to build one. Not really Harley's fault, they just make the trike. Can't make 1 bike or trike that makes a million riders happy.

The aftermarket for H-D parts & accessories is a billion dollar market. Someone will fill the void if H-D doesn't.

FWIW,I've been talking to two big name custom bagger builders about developing their own line of trike parts. One is Jerry Covington of Covington's Cycle City in Woodward,OK who is just starting their own custom trike conversion on a customer's 2016 Road Glide. The other builder is Paul Richards of Native Custom Baggers in Kalamazoo,MI.
http://www.covingtonscyclecity.com/
http://www.nativecustombaggers.com/

That would be cool. It will be a while before many makes steps up to the plate. A lot going on that will affect a decision to invest big money. Your talking about tooling, which is very costly, then to making of the product on a production line to really see a profit.

Screwball is right HD doesn't make any accessories it is contracted out. If I am looking for some parts I will compare prices with kuryakyn and HD, some of it is made by Kury.
Above is the answer on waiting on venders to start making some new stuff for a new bike/trike.
This is one of the reasons I started back to making my own things, I get it when I want it and I get it my way. There are limitations but in the most part I can do it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png