Winter Storage

Aug 8, 2014
PA
With Winter a few weeks away, do you change your motor oil and filter before parking your trike for the winter, I changed oil and filer at 1000 miles, now have 1800miles, I want to protect my investment.

I never do, but I ride in the winter when we don't have snow or ice, so I don't get the condensation build up ... never hurts to change the oil though ... I know guys who change oil every 1500 miles or twice a year, which ever comes first.

Since I routinely put 12-14k a year on my bikes, I just do it as per Harley's schedule, at 1k and 5k, then every 5k after. The only variation is I do every hole every time. Probably over kill, but saves me from thinking about which ones do I need to do. The extra $$ isn't much and I figure if I save a couple brain cells not thinking about which hole which time, I'm ahead of the game.

I ride my T/G All winter, But i do park my two wheeler for most of the winter, All i do is fill the gas tank to the very top and add Stabile gas treatment. Filling it to the top eliminates condensation.
And i also have it on a battery tender, I never change the oil.. And once i cover the bike with sheets i Don't start the engine till i'm gonna ride it again.. 45 + years and haven't had a problem.

I ride my T/G All winter, But i do park my two wheeler for most of the winter, All i do is fill the gas tank to the very top and add Stabile gas treatment. Filling it to the top eliminates condensation.
And i also have it on a battery tender, I never change the oil.. And once i cover the bike with sheets i Don't start the engine till i'm gonna ride it again.. 45 + years and haven't had a problem.
that's great info rhino I do about the same-never had a problem either,,, I store in heated shop..
magoo

I change oil every 5k miles and always in the fall when done riding. It got serviced 5 weeks ago before I had hip replacement surgery and it's parked snuggly in the garage on the toy hauler ready for a six week Texas run in mid January.

I never let the bike sit during off season without having fresh oil in it.

If it is going to sit for an extended period, I would change it. Winter in southern New Mexico is super riding. I ride every new year day, no matter the weather, a few times it was a very short trip. Jim

Try one of those new 'flangled lectric' blankets.......
:laugh:

Peter,

noticed that you have a pair of 11" Santi Handlebars on your trike?
I am still trying to decide what bars to get to relieve my shoulder
and back pain on mine. Are you short like me 5'6" tall. and do you have any pics you could show with your bike?

Bars

Peter,

noticed that you have a pair of 11" Santi Handlebars on your trike?
I am still trying to decide what bars to get to relieve my shoulder
and back pain on mine. Are you short like me 5'6" tall. and do you have any pics you could show with your bike?

Love my black handlebars - I'm 5'8" and they are perfect for me,
if I were to do it over I would have went to 14" (but thats a California thing).
For comparsion when I jump on the Wifes trike (with stock bars) I feel like I'm on a go kcart or something, I'm reaching/leaning down).
I've had them on for severl years now and have rode many
a 400+ mile days with NO pain/aches.....also have the HD Hammack seat.
:wave4:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twagoner

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twagoner
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png