Voltage/Pressure LED assembly

Nov 8, 2013
Lindale TX USA
I have a question about the voltage/pressure LED assembly on the GL1800 with MT conversion. Most of the time, only the lower half of the number segments light up. Sometimes, all of the number segments light up. If I push on the frame a little, it changes which segments light up. Could there be something loose or broken in the assembly? Can it be repaired? Can it be removed without too much difficulty if I found a replacement? Is there a place to get replacement parts?

It really is not a big issue with me, since I can usually tell what the numbers are. I just like everything to work right.

I have a question about the voltage/pressure LED assembly on the GL1800 with MT conversion. Most of the time, only the lower half of the number segments light up. Sometimes, all of the number segments light up. If I push on the frame a little, it changes which segments light up. Could there be something loose or broken in the assembly? Can it be repaired? Can it be removed without too much difficulty if I found a replacement? Is there a place to get replacement parts?

It really is not a big issue with me, since I can usually tell what the numbers are. I just like everything to work right.

This is a very common problem with the Motor Trike IRS kits.... That LED segments are bad.

Some guys have had luck heating and bending them but replacement is probably the best option. If you trike is still under warranty, let a dealer take care of it. If not you can try buying one directly from Motor Trike but may get told you must go through a dealer. Some folks have been lucky and were able to get it covered even out of warranty but that is definitely the exception to the rule. If you have to go through the dealer I understand they are in the $150 range.

It's not real difficult to replace if you have some GL1800 wrenching experience. If I can help shoot me a PM...

Good luck with the fix. :xszpv::xszpv:

Thanks, Jerry. You are "Gold Mine" of information and have helped me more than once. I will take this issue to my dealer in Gatesville. Justin was real good about getting me a driveshaft upgrade even though the trike was out of warranty. Good people there at Mitchell's.

- - - Updated - - -

If you need a MT dealer to intercede give us a call

Thanks for the offer Crossroads.

Thanks, Jerry. You are "Gold Mine" of information and have helped me more than once. I will take this issue to my dealer in Gatesville. Justin was real good about getting me a driveshaft upgrade even though the trike was out of warranty. Good people there at Mitchell's.

COOL.. Glad I could help now and then.

A good dealer is really really nice to have. Hopefully they will get you fixed up PDQ.. :xszpv::xszpv:

As you may or may not be aware.
The fix in my case was to use a hot air gun in the 500 degree range,
Put the LED in a vice and to heat it up in the middle of the 2 displays.
Once it softens up, not melts mind you.
Take off the heat and give it a little bit of pressure in the middle and a slight bend. Just a fingers worth of a push. Hold it till it cools down.
In my case it fixed whatever lead was shorting out in the potted material.
I dont know if I got lucky or what.
I do still have the replacement that MT sent me.
In my case MT knows my nearest dealer is 140 miles, one way away.
The new guys 20 miles away. Didnt have a clue and blew me off more then once on the phone.
I made it very clear to MT they were absolutly useless.
The unit was $135 shipped. Basically 125 and 10 to ship.

I was frustrated with seeing only a portion of the LED display on my Motor Trike Adventure.

Sometimes all of the numerals would display and sometimes they wouldn’t. If I pressed on different areas of the display, other segments would light. I figured that it probably wasn’t a bad LED, but rather there must be loose connections somewhere.

1 Problem small.jpg

Project Time.

Removal was pretty easy. I removed the trim strip to access the 5mm allen screw. Just below the allen screw is a locking tab. Pushing on the tab with a small screwdriver just enough lifted out the panel.

2 Secures small.jpg

Pocket removal made it easy to access the connectors that go to the panel.

3 Disconnect small.jpg

The whole panel was very easy to remove.

4 Unit small.jpg

I removed the back cover to access the electronics. Then removed the center screw (red) and popped out the 4 locking tabs (yellow) on each side of the adjustment switch assembly.

5 LED disassembly small.jpg

The LED display unit just slid out.

6 LED unit small.jpg

I didn’t find any loose connections, so I decided to reconnect just the LED unit to test it out. I discovered that I could ever so slightly twist the unit and all the segments would light. So somehow the unit was twisted in the housing.

Upon further inspection, I noticed that the adjustment switch assembly that holds the LED unit in place was ground at an angle causing the LED unit to be twisted. Time and exposure to the natural elements probably caused it to be permanently misshapen.

7 Poor grind small.jpg

I thought about buying a new LED, but over time without replacing the switch assembly, the same thing would happen. So I thought that if I could reshape the LED unit to a flat position, then maybe it would resolve the partial lighting of the display.

My solution was to insert tab screws to push down on the corners of the display unit to force it back into a flat position. It was trial and error to determine the right adjustments.

8 Adjustment small.jpg

I put it all back together and wah-la, the results were satisfying.

9 Result small.jpg

I don't know how long this will last and I may have to go back in for adjustments.

But at least for now I have a method for a work around.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png