Triax Trike Kit

Capt Chaos

Contributing Member
Feb 17, 2010
Picture Rocks, Arizona
I purchased a Triax Trike kit for my Kawasaki Nomad. This is one of the "training wheel type of kits" I looked and talked to people about the others, and decided on the Triax. The main reason I choose the Triax was they have 16 inch motorcyle wheels and it makes the Trike look better I think. It is still at the dealers getting the kit installed. I hope to have it back in a couple of weeks and then I will take some pics and do a review on how it rides. Here is the factory site. trans-moto, side-car, sporster, triax trike transformation kit Harley-Davidson My Nomad will look a lot like the blue HD Heritage I hope.

Very cool, Capt. Chaos! Can't wait to see the finished pictures and to hear all the fun you are having with it!

Being not too familiar with that setup, is it an outrigger system or does it support the back tire off the road somehow or drive off the rear tire or something else? :confused:

I had done a 'Google' search for the Triax Trike Kit, it looks like a fancy Voyager, hope it is cheaper. There is also the Trigg Trike set up. It is an outrigger wheel set up.<br />
Thank you, <br />
Trike Lady<br />
:2cents:

Yes it is a outrigger system, just like the Voyager, Tow Pac and Trigg. The shop called my today and said he took it out for a test drive and it was good up to 60mph, no freeways close by. It is costing me $5500 OTD including two tone paint on fenders to match the bike, installation, Quick disconnect system and running lights. The only major problem and the reason I didn't go with the Trigg was on my Nomad the hard bags open from the side, and I was told with the Triax I would still be able to use the original bags. Oops! they only open a few inches, so they are now on ebay and I will be purchasing top opening bags instead. The Shop is working with me on this as they felt bad about the bag situation.

It's the same with my GL-1500 with Voyager, as the Wing has tilt out lid bags or side cases and you get just enough space to squeeze objects into it. I have managed to get groceries in them, but I mostly keep items that I don't use much in them :yes:. <br />
Thank you<br />
Trike Lady<br />

Sounds like a good thing .. Just wondering if it effects how the vehicle is registered now that it has more than 2 wheels ...

Forgive my questions ... Just a buncha curiosity ...

From what I understand, since the extra wheels are removable, it is still a motorcycle with add-ons, at least that is the way my Progressive Agent told me how to insure it. PS. My bags are now up to $405 on ebay

Last edited:
In Florida my Goldwing is registered as a motorcycle and the Voyager is an add on accessory. The state did allow you to obtain a trike operator's license with outrigger wheels. Now you have to go through a class to get a trike endorsement and they use 250cc bikes with Insta-trike set up. In Florida Progressive covers the Voyager as an accessory.<br />
Thank you,<br />
Trike Lady<br />

The Dealer just sent me some pics of my Nomad Triax,:D the only thing that will change from these is the bags have to go and be replaced by a top opening set. As you can see their is no room for the side opening bags to open as the shock tower for the outside tires is right up against them. The bumper which is a $600 option I haven't decided on, I also haven't decided on leather bags or hard bags.:confused: I add the pics to my album so I hope I did it correctly

Last edited:
Looks nice I like the spoke wheels; they look less automotive and more motorcycle, very different.
Good luck and enjoy your new trike :D.
Trike Lady
:)

Thanks for the comments. I have decided on hard bags for replacing the ones I sold on ebay. They ended up going for $550, the bags I am ordering go for $229 plus $40 for shipping. So now back to the waiting game. I have decided to go with the bumper as with out it a lot of the Triax system shows and stands out. I am hoping I will have my trike within 2 weeks, it seems like I said that before!

Boy you can say that again, the only reason I have been able to handle the wait, is I had a lower back fusion Feb 1st, and I am now just ready to ride. I have sure missed out on a lot of riding in the last year as I had a early back surgery in Sept. Our best riding weather is Fall, Winter and Spring, night riding only starting in the next couple of weeks.
Ray whom sold be the Triax says it rides like a trike, the only trike experiance I have is riding a 3 wheel ATC out in the desert for years. Don't think it will be the same. That would be like changing from a small dirt bike to my Nomad, I haven't pulled a wheelie yet! :eek:

For those of you who have been following my Triax saga, here is the latest update. The top openning bags that I had the dealer order have arrived, and have been installed. The dealer says they are pretty flimsy, I guess you get what you pay for, they were around $230 plus shipping. He is going to send me pictures of them installed later on today. He says the silver is not a good match for my grey and dark red two tone paint. He thinks they will look good painted all Grey, exact match to the bike gray. I am having trouble imanginning that. I think they will have to be Red. Anyone like to comment? You will have to go into my album and imangine they bags either grey or red as they are.

Capt Chaos,

I wish I had read this post before you sold your bags. When I bought my used voyager kit for my nomad, I had the same problem. The company that sells voyager (MTC) has sets of hinges that you replace to allow you to be able to open the bags differently ... more of a slide off to the side as opposed to opening outward. They charge $100.00 for the hinges, but refund the $100.00 when you send your old hinges back to them. They do this for customers buying other items ... not sure what they would charge if that's all you were buying. Anyway, I was able to keep and use my existing nomad bags. :)

Sorry for not getting to you in time ... :(

I have added three pictures to my album of the new hardbags that we just installed. The painter and the dealer says paint them the gray color that's on the bike. I say they have to be painted the red that's on the bike. Any opinions. I wish I had know about the hinges, except if you look at the shock tower on the kit, I don't even know if they could have open sideways.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png