Likes Likes:  6
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downtube bearing

User ID

Default Downtube bearing

Can anyone tell me what the part number is for the bearing on the bottom of the downtube? I'm thinking I've seen this before but I can't find it anywhere. I was out for a ride last week and started to notice when breaking the trike pulled to the left. When I got it back to the shop I found the bearing on the downtube was completely worn out. I'm trying to get the old race out but it is going to need to be cut out. Yes I will replace both when I get a good part number.

Thanks for any help.

Ed

250+ Posts
    User ID

Been there done that!! I had one go out at around 25K on the left side. Now, this is the swing arm bearing on the fork. This is the part number that was enclosed on the invoice. 5201-2RS This is a Japanese bearing, two of them were $52.20 + shipping. I ordered them from www.motionindustries.com. Yeah, the old race is difficult to remove. I used a diamond coated burr on a die grinder. Ground one side thin and was able to get a punch under it and punch it out. I might try to do the weld trick if I had it to do over.

Senior Moderator
    Gold Club Member
    TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID

Ed,

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threa...-Head-Bearings

I did that repair back a year ago. I did not write down the part number but all I did was take the old bearing in to NAPA and they read the number off of it and older another bearing. The number is on the heavy medal part and was easy to read.

Not a hard repair just make sure to fill the tube with gease and you will not have the problem again. It takes alot but it is worth it.
    Stallion #406 // 2013 Tri-Glide

250+ Posts
    User ID

Gorillo, I don't think he is talking about the head bearing. I think he is referring to the smaller bearing on the fork swing arm.

User ID

Quote Originally Posted by trikervet View Post
    Been there done that!! I had one go out at around 25K on the left side. Now, this is the swing arm bearing on the fork. This is the part number that was enclosed on the invoice. 5201-2RS This is a Japanese bearing, two of them were $52.20 + shipping. I ordered them from www.motionindustries.com. Yeah, the old race is difficult to remove. I used a diamond coated burr on a die grinder. Ground one side thin and was able to get a punch under it and punch it out. I might try to do the weld trick if I had it to do over.
    Thanks, Yes the bearing is the one that the swing arm attaches to at the bottom of the downtube.

The only number I have found is on the black metal ring and it is 5201RS.

My Stallion is an 08 do you know if they changed anything on later models?

250+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hobgood View Post
    Thanks, Yes the bearing is the one that the swing arm attaches to at the bottom of the downtube. The only number I have found is on the black metal ring and it is 5201RS. My Stallion is an 08 do you know if they changed anything on later models?
    No, I do not know if they changed anything on later models. Once Kevin, (known as Stallion Tech) told me that they machined the hole for that bearing too small and the bearing was crushed. I had mine back to the factory 2 years ago and they changed out the tubes as well as new hubs, n/c. I haven't seen a lot of problems with these bearings on this forum, so I hope mine holds up for the duration.

User ID

Quote Originally Posted by trikervet View Post
    No, I do not know if they changed anything on later models. Once Kevin, (known as Stallion Tech) told me that they machined the hole for that bearing too small and the bearing was crushed. I had mine back to the factory 2 years ago and they changed out the tubes as well as new hubs, n/c. I haven't seen a lot of problems with these bearings on this forum, so I hope mine holds up for the duration.
    One thing I didn't realize was the bearing had to be remover from the outside (front) as you are looking at it. I was using a die grinder and once I got the bearing to move I noticed there was part of the area that did not move. I got a mirror behind the arm and it was machined like that. I have a call into TMS and waiting for a call back to see if they have the bearing in stock or if they will give me another number for a bearing. Trikervet, thanks for your help.

User ID

I did get to talk to Richard and the bearing number is 5201-2RS. TMS uses NSK bearings and I ordered two from globalindustrial.com the part number is C5EB1876298 and the cost for two bearing with shipping is $54.06.

User ID

Default Bearings

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hobgood View Post
    I did get to talk to Richard and the bearing number is 5201-2RS. TMS uses NSK bearings and I ordered two from globalindustrial.com the part number is C5EB1876298 and the cost for two bearing with shipping is $54.06.
    I watched a tech from NC knock mine out with a nut socket....he said that was his specialty tool....then laughed....hell I coulda done that, and I will next time...

Oddoman

# 667

South Carolina.

User ID

It appears that a couple of us are now experiencing the worn bearing issue at the end of the fork/swing arms. If anyone has any updated information on the R/R of these bearings please speak up. It would be nice if the old bearing could be pushed out from the backside to prevent having to remove the fork tubs.

Tomg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast