Cruise Control Issue

rocket1lf

450+ Posts
Dec 7, 2013
Hot Arizona, USA
I was out today on a 380 mile breakfast ride. My cruise has been working on and off for a few weeks now. Today it gave up. I can turn it on and when I press the set button, the light on the dash comes on, but the cruise won't lock on. The light does stay on. If I push and hold the set switch, the trike will start accelerating. Any suggestions? Thx Rick

I tried the self test. I get everything is OK with the ON & OFF switches on the left side, but nothing with the right side switches. The cruise control does not cycle after the test is finished. I took the switches apart and all the contacts look clean. I wonder if something want bad in the switch? Do I have a bad wire? I guess I need to do some more digging.

I tried the self test. I get everything is OK with the ON & OFF switches on the left side, but nothing with the right side switches. The cruise control does not cycle after the test is finished. I took the switches apart and all the contacts look clean. I wonder if something want bad in the switch? Do I have a bad wire? I guess I need to do some more digging.
Did you get the cruise fixed ? If so what was it ? THANKS

I haven't had time to fool with it. If someone else knows something to try, I'd appreciate all the help. Thx Rick

The only thing that comes to mind is maybe the contact rings under the steering wheel that feed the switches. I have heard of those wearing out. That would explain that the rest is working including the switch itself but one function is not. That ring contact may have gone bad.

The only thing that comes to mind is maybe the contact rings under the steering wheel that feed the switches. I have heard of those wearing out. That would explain that the rest is working including the switch itself but one function is not. That ring contact may have gone bad.

Great idea, but they shouldn't be worn out. The trike only has about 22000 miles on it. I called an auto repair shop I know and they said they have the equipment to check it. It's going in on Monday. I'll let you know the verdict. Thx Rick

I have S/N 256, When I purchased the trike the cruise did not work and I had other issues to repair.
The cruise control turned out to be the wiring in the steering wheel. The ribbon wire was kinked and had broken some of the wires. I cut out the bad section and re soldered, now works fine.
Also that fixed the intermittent horn operation.
I also plumbed in 2 switches in the brake lines for the stop lights and the cruise control disconnect.
Just recently the door ajar light is on in the dash panel and the chime is sounding with the key removed from the ignition switch.
I wonder what is next?

Wif

I have S/N 256, When I purchased the trike the cruise did not work and I had other issues to repair.

The cruise control turned out to be the wiring in the steering wheel. The ribbon wire was kinked and had broken some of the wires. I cut out the bad section and re soldered, now works fine.

Also that fixed the intermittent horn operation.

I also plumbed in 2 switches in the brake lines for the stop lights and the cruise control disconnect.

Just recently the door ajar light is on in the dash panel and the chime is sounding with the key removed from the ignition switch.

I wonder what is next?

Wif

Have not heard that one either. Keep us updated on the soluntion

Have not heard that one either. Keep us updated on the soluntion
I got mine home today shipped from florida 2013 orange # 927 went for a short ride it was dark out & getting late , its a great ride really different from my other trikes , hopefully get out on the weekend for a good ride ? The cruise does not work I will have to try and see whats up with that & the park lock does not work which I think I read was related ?? Any help be appriciated ?

I got mine home today shipped from florida 2013 orange # 927 went for a short ride it was dark out & getting late , its a great ride really different from my other trikes , hopefully get out on the weekend for a good ride ? The cruise does not work I will have to try and see whats up with that & the park lock does not work which I think I read was related ?? Any help be appriciated ?

Road Dog because the cruise and the park lockout are both not working (and I bet if you look no brake lights either) I believe I would look at the brake switch first. Looking at your VIN # you have one of the last ones built. I have not read anything different so the brake switch should still be on the master cylinder under the seat. It's gotten to easier from below. TomG has a newer one and I believe he can give you some guidance. The issue is the contacts in the switch hang up and don't close. Look at the switch it also might just not be sitting on its post to work properly.

I have S/N 256, When I purchased the trike the cruise did not work and I had other issues to repair. The cruise control turned out to be the wiring in the steering wheel. The ribbon wire was kinked and had broken some of the wires. I cut out the bad section and re soldered, now works fine. Also that fixed the intermittent horn operation. I also plumbed in 2 switches in the brake lines for the stop lights and the cruise control disconnect. Just recently the door ajar light is on in the dash panel and the chime is sounding with the key removed from the ignition switch. I wonder what is next? Wif

Are you talking about the wiring from the switch behind the horn button? Mine has separate wires from the switch to a plug.

Thx Rick

The shop called and they are pretty sure it's the module. The cruise does work. I just didn't notice it because it will only function when going downhill. If you try to go uphill or remain level, the cable will not turn far enough to keep the speed and when the speed falls off too far, the cruise will shut off like it's supposed to. They took the module apart, but couldn't find anything obvious. Since Ford wants $549.00 for the module, I guess I need to start checking wrecking yards or ebay. There are a bunch of different NOS ones on ebay, but I don't have the trike back yet to get the correct model number off the old one. They're more expensive than a used one, but it may be worth it to bite the bullet and get a new one.

Road Dog because the cruise and the park lockout are both not working (and I bet if you look no brake lights either) I believe I would look at the brake switch first. Looking at your VIN # you have one of the last ones built. I have not read anything different so the brake switch should still be on the master cylinder under the seat. It's gotten to easier from below. TomG has a newer one and I believe he can give you some guidance. The issue is the contacts in the switch hang up and don't close. Look at the switch it also might just not be sitting on its post to work properly.
My brake lights work , the cruise light will come on when you set the cruise , but no cruise, I jacked it up tonight & pulled the two switches out the blue & white one sounds like a gravel pit , the black one has a burnt contact , its still under warranty if I can get a hold some one at TMS & get the parts that would be great ?? Are riding days up here are number ??

I found a used servo for $40.00. When I took the cable off the old one, the cam inside would barely turn. You could see rust and corrosion on it. The used one spun freely and the return spring brought it back the way it should. If the used servo works, that should fix the cruise. I sprayed some lube into the old one and it freed up and seems to work fine now. Just for info, the cap on top with the cable in it does not have a seal on it, so water and dust will get into the servo. You may want to pop the cable off and spray some lube in there once in a while. I'm going to save the old one just in case the used one I got gives up. I'm pretty sure it will work now.

Rick

The cruise works great now. Also, putting a washer under the steering knuckle and tightening the castle nut it seems tighter and there is no longer a slight wobble coming downhill and letting of the gas like I had before. Rick

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png