Need help with getting my tag!

Re: Resurrecting an old thread.....

Welcome to TrikeTalk! Can't help you with your question, but wanted to say that looks like it will be a fun project for you and your wife! Keep us posted on your progress.

Most states have a way to get a 'homebuilt' title and the state will issue a VIN plate (registered as a motorcycle). You will probably be asked for as many bill of sale receipts as you can pony up (definitely something for the engine origin and possibility for frame materials or as in your case a bill of sale for the project start that you bought.

Re: Resurrecting an old thread.....

I just made a deal today for a VW trike project and will pick it up tomorrow. It has no title or paperwork of any kind. Lousiana is a title state and a pain int he butt at the DMV. My question is..... Are VW trikes titled as motorcycles or VW's, or trikes, or what? I guess if they are titled as motorcycles I can always buy a junker bike with clear paperwork and use the front end setup and vin on mine if I can't get it legal any other way?

I've attached the pics from the craigslist ad. It's a definate project but my wife and I have wanted one of these for a while now. Thanks in advance.
Doug

First welcome aboard. Next you are in for a lot of hassle. You need to find out if your state has an assempled from parts way applying for a title. Even if they due there will be a lot of inspecting and information requirements. You could try buying a donor bike and welding the fork neck with the VIN into the trike. They may allow that if you handle it correctly. You need to get into your state statutes and see what loop holes you can find to get it titled legally. Good luck.

Just bought a VW trike for my wife. It needs a good bit of work but nothing I am not willing to do. I have a bill of sale but there is no vin, and there is no engine code. I am lost and hate to pour love into something we won't be able to ride..... My wife is going insane to move ahead with the project. We are in Georgia and my county (Screven) has never had a trike registered so none of the girls at the tag office are able to tell us how to get it titled and tagged.

I believe Georgia is not a title state, all you need is a bill of sale, I may be wrong, check out another DMV in Georgia!

A lot of the states have gone to "ASPT" titles for homemade vehicles.
ASPT stands for ASsembled from ParTs.
I was told that there are around 26 states that use ASPT titles and more states are switching to ASPT titles all the time.
The local DMV records all the numbers on your homemade vehicle--VIN, serial numbers on the engine, trans & rear ends--then comes up with a VIN number that is unique to that vehicle.
Once the state comes up with your own special VIN, the agent from the DMV attaches it on your trike.

The ASPT titles are a way to cut down on stolen vehicles and stolen parts.
It also helps law enforcement when they stop a trike that is 6 ft wide, 12 ft. long and it titled as a Honda 350.
It is also a way to end the practice of people selling titles of bikes that were sold for parts or junk.
I bought my VW trike in Georgia and it came with a title---BUT---when I brought it home to Florida, it was not a simple title transfer---I had to go through the ASPT title process, which included examining all the paperwork and checking out the trike for all the proper lights, horn and brakes.
Besides my Bill of Sale,I also needed a notarized letter from the seller.
At least you are not in Texas --where homemade vehicles were just outlawed!

Hang in there, you just were dealing with people who did not know their state laws.
Hope all goes smooth for you.

I wanted to pass on a very clean and quick way for titling a self-built trike.

I used a service offered by the owner of Rat Race Trikes. He also runs a trike manufacturing shop called Red Baron Choppers. He will provide a manufacturer's certificate of origin and an invoice for tax payment purposes. Getting a title from an MSO is very clean in most states (except New Jersey, apparently).

His site:
http://www.motorcycle-manufacturer-license.org/VIN-title-service-motorcycles.htm

I live in Tennessee. With the documents he provided it took all of 20 minutes to get title and tags.pepper

I wanted to pass on a very clean and quick way for titling a self-built trike.

I used a service offered by the owner of Rat Race Trikes. He also runs a trike manufacturing shop called Red Baron Choppers. He will provide a manufacturer's certificate of origin and an invoice for tax payment purposes. Getting a title from an MSO is very clean in most states (except New Jersey, apparently).

His site:
http://www.motorcycle-manufacturer-l...otorcycles.htm

I live in Tennessee. With the documents he provided it took all of 20 minutes to get title and tags.pepper

That is some great information V-driver! Thanks for sharing with the community.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png