Long ride shield vs freedom shield. Take 2

Jun 26, 2015
Stafford, Va
So I put the first post in the wrong forum :Shrug:

im looking at purchasing one of these two windshields what are your pros and cons?

Leaning to the LRS. But looking for your thoughts.

Thanks

don :cool:

So I put the first post in the wrong forum :Shrug:

im looking at purchasing one of these two windshields what are your pros and cons?

Leaning to the LRS. But looking for your thoughts.

Thanks

don :cool:
LRS is what I bought. Haven't heard of the other. I'm well satisfied with my purchase.

I have a 2015 Tri-Glide that came with a 10" clear windshield. The top of the windshield was smack dab in middle of my line of sight. So I bought a HD 12" light smoke which put the top up far enough so I could look through the windshield. Then in anticipation of getting a DK Comfort lift which would put the drivers seat up about 1", I got a HD 15" clear barn door (windshield) which put the top well out of my line of sight and worked great on the open road even with the DK lift kit installed. But because it is so tall it vibrates at speed and in sunlight it reflects the fuel door and ignition switch. Plus in the rain you have to look through a wet windshield AND a wet visor. So I decided to try a 9" Freedom recurve windshield in hopes I could see OVER the windshield and it would still provide the same wind protection of a taller see through type wind shield. I chose a 9" because that is the recommended height when I measured according to their recommendations.

I liked the gentle recurve and the fact that the Freedom is slightly thicker than stock. When I tested the 9" Freedom shield it worked fine at surface street speeds and I could see over it. But as soon as I got up to highway speed of 60 MPH I noticed buffeting on my helmet AND in the helmet and in my ears.

Plus the bike seemed to handle different, it was as if I was pulling a parachute. I have now gone back to the 12" HD shield, because it works, and am going to return the Freedom shield. I may try an LRS at some time in the future.

LRS is what I bought. Haven't heard of the other. I'm well satisfied with my purchase.

What size did you get. I was looking at the Ultra. 11" I'm 5'8"

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 2015 Tri-Glide that came with a 10" clear windshield. The top of the windshield was smack dab in middle of my line of sight. So I bought a HD 12" light smoke which put the top up far enough so I could look through the windshield. Then in anticipation of getting a DK Comfort lift which would put the drivers seat up about 1", I got a HD 15" clear barn door (windshield) which put the top well out of my line of sight and worked great on the open road even with the DK lift kit installed. But because it is so tall it vibrates at speed and in sunlight it reflects the fuel door and ignition switch. Plus in the rain you have to look through a wet windshield AND a wet visor.

So I decided to try a 9" Freedom recurve windshield in hopes I could see OVER the windshield and it would still provide the same wind protection of a taller see through type wind shield. I chose a 9" because that is the recommended height when I measured according to their recommendations.

I liked the gentle recurve and the fact that the Freedom is slightly thicker than stock. When I tested the 9" Freedom shield it worked fine at surface street speeds and I could see over it. But as soon as I got up to highway speed of 60 MPH I noticed buffeting on my helmet AND in the helmet and in my ears. Plus the bike seemed to handle different, it was as if I was pulling a parachute. I have now gone back to the 12" HD shield, because it works, and am going to return the Freedom shield. I may try an LRS at some time in the future.

See that's what I was worried about! thank you very much for the input! :pepper:

LRS

I originally ordered an 8" LRS flat-top Elite, light tint. It turned out to be too short, causing buffeting at speeds over 60. I exchanged it for a 10" at it works really well for me. I have asked my wife several times and she also has no complaints.

Can't comment on the Freedom.

same here

I originally ordered an 8" LRS flat-top Elite, light tint. It turned out to be too short, causing buffeting at speeds over 60. I exchanged it for a 10" at it works really well for me. I have asked my wife several times and she also has no complaints.

Can't comment on the Freedom.

We use a 9" flat top I say we because my riding buddy does not permit me to change her windshield. We have a 6" wind blade for the heat of July and August if needed. I have a new 9" ultra elite, I may part with for what I have in it still thinking it over. Flat top for us has been what we were looking for. ThumbUpride safely fearless

If you're not in too much of a hurry, I have a new Freedom 13" shield coming sometime tomorrow, it will be Friday before we get to try it out though.

The new 13" Freedom shield came yesterday but it's not on the bike yet, I took a few pics for comparison, I've left the protective plastic on for now. You can really see the difference in the thickness and size, they said it would be wider and it definitely is. It is also only slightly recurved compared to LRS. Hope to get it on over the weekend but there's a 50% chance of rain the next 3 days.

(Edit) Geez, they came out full size instead of thumbnail.

Attachments

• 20151106_150017.jpg
    20151106_150017.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 324
  • 20151106_150136.jpg
    20151106_150136.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 318
  • 20151106_151217.jpg
    20151106_151217.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 318
What size did you get. I was looking at the Ultra. 11" I'm 5'8"

I got the 11". I'm 5'11" and it is a little too tall for me. It's right exactly in my line of vision. An inch shorter, and I would be golden. Bear in mind that I have a long body as well (inseam 30").

Sorry about not being more specific in my first post. :blush:

Got an email from LRS that says starting the 11th, in honor of Veterans' Day, they are going to have a 70% off sale!!!

Can't beat that with a stick...I hope that you haven't bought one yet, Don!

WINDSCREEN UPDATE ! Ok took the bike out a few times with the NEW 5 inch smoked windscreen. I'll tell you what this thing not only works great for me but looks awesome on an all Black HD trike. On my last 3 dressers I had these short ones on also. But that was when my wife had her own bike. I thought it would cause her some discomfort. But she said there's little change sitting on the back with it from the stock one! THANK GOD :D..Even at night with clear glasses on it works great and NO reflection from the radio ! That's my update for today ThumbUp

10" medium Tint LRS flat top received today

Got my "flat top" today. Will put on on Wednesday and check if it's "legit."

I will write back results. ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png