Too hot Pipes Burn my Right Leg! Any Solutions out There???

I've put 13,000 road trip miles in 2 yrs. on my TriGlide & find my lower right leg practically burning while idling, or all the time in super hot weather. I've heard the thermal wrapping doesn't really make any difference. I put a DynaJet on it & that's taken it down a few degrees. I have to use my highway pegs to cool my leg off. Any one out there have any fixes for this?:xzqxz:

I've put 13,000 road trip miles in 2 yrs. on my TriGlide & find my lower right leg practically burning while idling, or all the time in super hot weather. I've heard the thermal wrapping doesn't really make any difference. I put a DynaJet on it & that's taken it down a few degrees. I have to use my highway pegs to cool my leg off. Any one out there have any fixes for this?:xzqxz:

Remove the Cat.......That alone will lower the right side heat..

Wear Long Pants (levi type) :qpnmt:[thanks & don't know if that was tongue-in cheek", but I always wear levis & usually leather chaps as well. The levis don't do much, but the leather chaps help alot.]

I heard by the year 2103 the 200Th anniversary Harley will have a new water cooled motor ??? HANG IN THERE :)

They are hot!!!

I titanium wrapped my headpipe helped my cat was in muffler gone a long time ago. Good tuner with a good MAP raised fuel tank. careful where I place my feet on foot rests. Bride says no problem with heat or really for myself.
There are a ton of threads out there on Harley heat check them out I'm sure you will find the answers you need. Good Luck ThumbUp ride safely fearless

Attachments

• DSC00139.JPG
    DSC00139.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 395
removing cats

I don't know about the tri glides or the freewheelers in the USA but here in Canada the cats are not in the head pipes. they are located underneath the right passenger foot peg. I always hear that removing the cat will lower leg heat and also lower the rear cylinder head temp. I own a 2015 freewheeler with 24,000 kilometers on it. This bike is stock except for cannon slip on mufflers and a vertical ten row Jagg oil cooler which runs in series to the stock oil cooler.

Two of the people I ride with have Harleys with the cats removed. One is a Road Glide the other is a Street Glide both 2010s. They were telling me that their bike were a lot cooler with the cats removed. On a ride about three weeks ago with a temp of 80 F I took temps of all three bikes. On the two, two wheelers rear head temp was 397F. Pipe temp where it exited the rear head was just over 500F On the trike with the additional oil cooler head temp was 386F Pipe temp was just over 500F.

Every where else I took temps were almost identical on all three bikes. My friends were very surprised at the results and still maintain their bikes run cooler but the proof is in the pudding. also If you take the pipes off, plug the one side of the discharge to the left pipe the vacuum to both pipes, one with no cat and one with a cat the pressure is identical. It is very easy to do these tests so myself I believe I would not waste the money to remove a cat that does nothing to make or relief heat.This is not putting down anyone it is just the results of my test

Inspite of the opinion that true duals kill lower torque, and they probably do, i put them on my streetglide to get rid of the heat off the passenger.

I also wrapped the rear pipe a wrap and a half, cause it was burning my leg, even with the heat shield on, touch it with the back of my leg and get lit up.

Its better now the the left leg since pipe was wrapped, its better on the right side now that the pipe no longer comes down from the head to join the front pipe.

If it kills torque like its said, im investigating putting the torque thrusters from dk in my pipes.

I run a parade fan also, blows a bit of hot air to the right leg. Even If Harley made a water cooled motor i can no longer afford one, yet.

My suggestion is what im doing and going to do, use the true duals, get ride of the heat, wrap the rear pipe, and or the front pipe, then the torque plates to improve lower end and mid range.

I bought my pipes at a swap meet for $100 thats cheap, but i looked and i found, so you can to. The torque thrusters are up next to be bought and installed, and i don't miss what heat i got rid of at all.

Look forward to hearing you made the leap of faith and are happier with it. ThumbUpThumbUpThumbUpThumbUpThumbUpThumbUpThumbUpThumbUpThumbUpThumbUpThumbUp

I've done a complete stage I, which included removing the cat. Also wrapped the pipes. It's still hot when the outside temp is up (85* and higher). Wards fans did help some.

Gotta remember that you've got a 103 ci engine between your legs, so it's going to be hot no matter what you do.

I always wear levis & usually leather chaps as well. The levis don't do much said:
If you are in a situation where you can't ditch the cat and retune and if you can get past the non-cool factor of non-leather chaps you might give these people a call http://www.coloradochaps.com/motorcycle_chaps.html and get a set of their nylon chaps and have the Kevlar heat patches added to the inside of the legs, in fact ask them to added 2 layers of the Kevlar.

We've been wearing these for 4 years and they are great and you will not burn the lower part of your legs, but you will still get the normal heat off the top of the engine on your upper leg.

We have 2 sets of these. 1 lined for winter and 1 unlined for summer and they will pack down to almost nothing.

I'm surprised that no one has suggested trying the floor board extenders yet. I put these on my '14 and am pleased at how much cooler my right leg is. Also the tank lift kit has helped with cooling the heads and also controlling the air moving from under the gas tank.

Both of these can be purchased from DK Custom Parts and are the cheapest MOD's you can do to help with the heat.

Had I done these MOD'd on my '12 I probably would still own it today.

Thank you for all the recommendations!

Wow! I am so appreciative of all the responses I have received regarding my burning right leg! Thank you to everyone. I am making my list & consulting my assistant mechanics to see which actions we can manage. Thank you to all of you for taking the time to share your experiences & fixes with me!

I'm surprised that no one has suggested trying the floor board extenders yet. I put these on my '14 and am pleased at how much cooler my right leg is. Also the tank lift kit has helped with cooling the heads and also controlling the air moving from under the gas tank.

Both of these can be purchased from DK Custom Parts and are the cheapest MOD's you can do to help with the heat.

Had I done these MOD'd on my '12 I probably would still own it today.

DUH!! I agree, I put the extenders and then put a heel guard on the right floorboard. That really keeps the right side away from the heat and keeps the heel off the pipes! I hated that!!

jc

wild pig pipes .... bought a stock pipe without the catalytic convertor. Used Nightrider FL-Vied-10s to adjust my mixture a bit richer. HAPPY 2014 owner.

Bob :D

Gerold had the right idea. The Cat is indeed located UNDER your right foot. It will get no hotter than the exhaust gas passing through it, ditto your head pipes. Removing the cat will make your trike a tad louder and you may think it runs better. It will void your warranty and make it impossible to resell in many states. The exhaust gas is about 1200 degrees. Even if you lowered it 200* you would still get burned.

My wife and I have been riding Harleys for a very long time. Her '14 trike is her 3rd trike and 6th Harley. My Freewheeler is my 2nd trike, and I've had a ton of Harleys before it. First thing we did to all the trikes is add the floorboard extensions. That little inch outward makes a lot of difference.

You can see I wear shorts a lot when riding. The only burns I've received from the pipes is getting off and I hit the pipes with my leg....MY FAULT.

Happy riding, glad to see there is someone really using thier scoot

burning legs

Screwball
Its nice to hear someone agrees with me. I have wasted thousands of dollars listening to people who think they are smarter than the Harley engineers. If Harleys weren't made to last there would not be an optional 5 year warranty available at a price not more than insurance. since I have smartened up and left them alone I have had no problems and I average easily over 30,000 mile in a year

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
randmevape

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
randmevape
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png