Stangas Trike

Hiya.. thought I would start my own thread instead of the introduction thread.

So briefly,

I have a 2011 Road King that has been converted using the Lehman Renegade LLS
The upgrades are exhaust, intake and has a chip.. details I'm not fully sure yet.
It has the Lehman raked triple tree

I love it.

One question..
It still has the stock gearing and feels like a bit of a slug and really struggles down low. Did some research and found that when Harley made their trike, they made the same mistake on the first release and then changed the primary sprocket to a 30T for the second release.

So.. my bike, I believe, needs a 30T also. This seems to be quite a large job due to needing to replace the belt with a 139T one.. this mean the rear diff needs to come out??.. like $1600 for the rod shop to do it.

From experience, does it make that much of a difference, and is it something you would consider attempting. I am pretty mechanically minded and have mates that can help. I have a trike lift.. which I imagine would help a lot.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

I had the 32T to 30T change done on my 2009 TriGlide. Used the belt that came with the trike from the factory. I can't say for certain that you can use the same belt or not on your conversion.

I can tell you that the change made a huge difference though. 6th gear was now usable. Also used less fuel as I wasn't going full throttle to pass etc. IMO it was well worth the price.

Good morning and welcome, my 2012 has the 30T front and the 70T rear using the 40040-05 139T belt. Good first gear. No bogg. As long as you have help with the rear, it's well worth
it. Time consuming . At least a 6 pack. Don't forget to vegimite the bolt threads b4 re assembly. You will be thankful on your next take apart . Good luck.

In 2007 Harley changed the gearing in their Big Twins. Probably to meet emissions. They were very sluggish taking off and even worse when converted to a trike. You couldn't use 6th gear until about 75 mph. The easiest way to gear your bike (Trike) down is to change the compensating sprocket. Takes less than 3 hours to do and won't effect your speedometer, although it might effect your cruise control. On the ones that I have changed, the customers raved over the results and wished they had done it earlier.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/125-889

I paid $68 for my 30T front belt pulley from Boardtracker H-D. (doesn't effect the cruise control)

2007-08 Touring bikes are geared 32/66 and 2009-later bikes are geared 32/68

My local H-D dealer quoted me $530 total, for parts (primary gasket and a few seals) & four hours labor (4 x $85/hr=$340) to change out the above pulley. I already have the 30T sprocket. Sounds a little high to me. GMR Performance quoted me $325 parts and labor to do the work. A local independent shop quoted me $300. Both GMR and my local shop quoted me three hours labor. I'd really like to support my H-D dealer but they're pushing the limits of my loyalty.

There is another option that is not as involved but still would require some shop tools. If you have the tools and the time it is half the amount quoted to swap the belt and pulley

You can change the primary drive ratio from the 46 tooth to a 49 tooth ratio on the clutch hub made by Evolution Industries.

There is another option that is not as involved but still would require some shop tools. If you have the tools and the time it is half the amount quoted to swap the belt and pulley

You can change the primary drive ratio from the 46 tooth to a 49 tooth ratio on the clutch hub made by Evolution Industries.

Just the parts alone for the Hub, Sprocket & Chain are $700.00 and that doesn't include Clutch Plates or Discs. I think maybe a 5-6% reduction would be enough but the 10-12% with the Comp Sprocket you can really feel for half the price.

- - - Updated - - -

I paid $68 for my 30T front belt pulley from Boardtracker H-D. (doesn't effect the cruise control)

2007-08 Touring bikes are geared 32/66 and 2009-later bikes are geared 32/68

My local H-D dealer quoted me $530 total, for parts (primary gasket and a few seals) & four hours labor (4 x $85/hr=$340) to change out the above pulley. I already have the 30T sprocket. Sounds a little high to me. GMR Performance quoted me $325 parts and labor to do the work. A local independent shop quoted me $300. Both GMR and my local shop quoted me three hours labor. I'd really like to support my H-D dealer but they're pushing the limits of my loyalty.

Somebody, somewhere, must pay to keep the Showroom full of new Harley's.:D

Its a 8% increase in off the line power. Evoutuon Industries did offer just a ring gear and chain swap. The 46 tooth ring gear would need to be pressed off and the 49 tooth pressed on.

*As for the clutch pack, depending on the mileage they can be reused if the hub assembly was purchased.

QUOTE=Lee H. Mann;333427]Just the parts alone for the Hub, Sprocket & Chain are $700.00 and that doesn't include Clutch Plates or Discs. I think maybe a 5-6% reduction would be enough but the 10-12% with the Comp Sprocket you can really feel for half the price.

- - - Updated - - -

Somebody, somewhere, must pay to keep the Showroom full of new Harley's.:D[/QUOTE]

Its a 8% increase in off the line power. Evoutuon Industries did offer just a ring gear and chain swap. The 46 tooth ring gear would need to be pressed off and the 49 tooth pressed on.

*As for the clutch pack, depending on the mileage they can be reused if the hub assembly was purchased.

QUOTE=Lee H. Mann;333427]Just the parts alone for the Hub, Sprocket & Chain are $700.00 and that doesn't include Clutch Plates or Discs. I think maybe a 5-6% reduction would be enough but the 10-12% with the Comp Sprocket you can really feel for half the price.

- - - Updated - - -

Somebody, somewhere, must pay to keep the Showroom full of new Harley's.:D
[/QUOTE]

I found that in their catalog. It is EV-1010-1221 49 tooth sprocket & new chain... $500.

Awesome guys.... thank you very much

Had quite a disturbing experience at my local Harley dealer. Won't say who. But they were absolutely not interested in anything I had to say.. I was simply a cash giver for their overpriced crap oil and poor service. The mechanic did give them at least a second chance... maybe.. by looking into my bike.. sort of..

-it has one of those orange communicators somewhere.. where it is am not sure yet, so need to search my old mans shed.

I think Lee H. Mann has the right idea. Many thanks, and after discussion with my work mates, we agree that the engine sprocket is a wiser decision... and much easier.. and I can do it.

So... Lee.. Is that definitely the one I need for my bike?

Can the chain be replaced without taking the clutch etc off?? Thinking remove the tensioner to slacken the chain, then slip it over?

http://www.hdwheels.com/images/Driv...procket 06 and Up Dyna 07 and Up Big Twin.pdf

Just googled and read this..

It looks the part.. and I have the correct part number.

One thing.. the 6th gear indication.. I do have this on my bike, so what is TTS Mastertuner? Help

You will need to remove the clutch assembly. After installation re-adjust the clutch.

Harley matches engine speed and transmission speed though their ECM to calculate when you are in 6th gear. The TTS just lets the indicator work correctly. The cruise control may also become inop due to this interaction of the ECM. If the cruise control is important for you then purchase the TTP. I have done several 2011's and the cruise still worked.

Purchase it if you need it.

The TTS Mastertuner is a flash tuner for the ECM so you can correct all the items in the ECM you change when you change ratios. It is also used to adjust your tune for the engine. IE, air fuel ratio, VE's timing etc.

Ok.. cruise control is important.. after riding with it, I love it!!
6th gear indication, not so much.. but I feel I should do it properly.

I already have the screaming eagle tuner (the orange one).. Will that do it?

Is it something a workshop can do for me without needing to buy the tuner??

Starting to see the reason for changing the belt drive instead.. this would not affect anything on the engine management??

Ok.. cruise control is important.. after riding with it, I love it!!
6th gear indication, not so much.. but I feel I should do it properly.

I already have the screaming eagle tuner (the orange one).. Will that do it?

Is it something a workshop can do for me without needing to buy the tuner??

Starting to see the reason for changing the belt drive instead.. this would not affect anything on the engine management??

True about the pulley. I don't know which tuner that is as both tuners are orange. The Street performance tuner is quite limited as what you have access to. Also you need the cable & software to do anything yourself. If you have the Pro Tuner It has a lot more things you can access. Basically all you would need to do is adjust the spedo with just the pulley. That can be done at Harley. With the sprocket you need to change the gear ratios in the ECM. Which I think Harley can do also. You need to check with them.
I see the change of the drive pulley just an upgrade to a later year design. I have read where some people didn't have to change the belt, & others needed to do the belt also. You might have to go with the 132 tooth belt. The "rule of thumb" is for each two tooth change on the pulley you change the belt one tooth. The sprocket change does the same thing, but a lot less labor. It also adds a few things you have to do to get things back to working correctly.
Take a read on this :http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...4542-transmission-sprocket-change-begins.html
It shows you what is needed to do the drive pulley change.

Cheers Sloufoot

Thanks for the link. I found that and read the entire thread last week... very informative.

So my decision is purely based on if a Harley service person has the ability to change the ECM for me?
I don't think I will even try my local blokes.. they don't sound like they know anything.. oil n filters men

I will check my adjustment position when I get home.

Ok been googling some more

The 30T primary engine sprocket mentioned (Evolution Industries) does not seem to use the compensator. Is this the right one?

I have been looking at Riveraprimoinc 'game changer sprocket'.. this has 32T and uses the OEM compensator, and I believe the 2011 went to the SE compensator (much better than earlier models)

Which way is better?? and will 32T be enough increase in ratio?

I understand that the bike can run without the compensator, but being on a trike, I thought this would be a bit rough on take off etc. and cause stress to the chain.

I have also heard that it does NOT affect the cruise control but will stop the 6sp indicator working. Is this true?

well the trike is booked in on Thursday to put the new primary gear on.

Going with the gamechanger sprocket.

I am really hoping this makes the difference I have been expecting.

Took the trike for a ride the other day.. used 19L of petrol for 200kms.. this seems a lot. I nearly didn't make it home due to almost running out of fuel. Also.. sitting with cruise control on at 120km/hr, I tried to pass someone and eased on the throttle and the bike would not increase speed at all... had to drop it to 5th.. still not much.. so dropped it to 4th to get it moving.

I understand it is a lot bigger and heavier than standard, but something aint right.

well the trike is booked in on Thursday to put the new primary gear on.

Going with the gamechanger sprocket.

I am really hoping this makes the difference I have been expecting.

Took the trike for a ride the other day.. used 19L of petrol for 200kms.. this seems a lot. I nearly didn't make it home due to almost running out of fuel. Also.. sitting with cruise control on at 120km/hr, I tried to pass someone and eased on the throttle and the bike would not increase speed at all... had to drop it to 5th.. still not much.. so dropped it to 4th to get it moving.

I understand it is a lot bigger and heavier than standard, but something aint right.

GEOGRAPHICAL FACT::xzqxz:
ALL ROADS IN COLLIE RUN UPHILL !!!:pepper::pepper::pepper:

THINK I SAW THAT ON NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png