Cycle Snacks

David357

30500+ Posts
May 31, 2015
Hobe Sound, FL.

Here is a recipe given to me that I have been using for years. The recipe is easy-to-make and no baking required. I was looking for a flavorful, satisfying easy to carry snack food that would fit nicely in the bike small cooler. Best of all, there is no added sugar or other preservatives!

ALMOND COCONUT ENERGY BARS

In a big bowl mix these dry ingredients -

15 scoops of any plain or vanilla protein powder
3 cups oatmeal
1 cup dried unsweetened coconut
1cup ground Flaxseed
1 cup golden or brown Flaxseed whole
1 cup Chia seeds
1 cup raw Sesame seeds
1 cup raw Pumpkin seeds
1 cup raw Sunflower seeds
3 tbs. Cinnamon
3 tsp Sea Salt
2 tsp powdered Madagascar Vanilla or 3tbs. of Madagascar Vanilla extract

Stir the dry ingredients really well so that they are all blended evenly.

Wet ingredients –

6 cups almond butter (You can also use cashew or peanut butter if you like)
3 cups coconut oil
2 cups honey (you can add more honey if you like it a little sweeter) Tips - Put the almond butter and coconut oil in a bowl. Heat the honey on low till it's fairly hot. Then pour it over the almond butter and coconut oil. Stir these three ingredients until they are well blended.

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir really well. I usually end up doing the final mixing with my hands. place the mixed ingredients in the 9 x 13 pans.

This will make two full 9 x 13 pans.

Cover the filled pans with foil or saran wrap and refrigerate for several hours.

Next, you can cut the bars into any size you like, put the cut bars into plastic containers and then stick the containers back into the refrigerator. The bars are now ready for consumption. You can vary ingredient quantities to suit your taste. It’s hard to mess up this recipe! If you want, organic ingredients maybe used, but they do cost more.

Enjoy.ThumbUp

If the mixed and cut ingredients have to be refrigerated, how well do they hold up on say a weekend back country hike? Do you need to carry a spoon to scoop up a mess in your sandwich bag you put them in? Or does it spoil easy. It sounds good. Just wondering about this little issue.

If the mixed and cut ingredients have to be refrigerated, how well do they hold up on say a weekend back country hike? Do you need to carry a spoon to scoop up a mess in your sandwich bag you put them in? Or does it spoil easy. It sounds good. Just wondering about this little issue.

Hogcowboy:

I have not personally carried the bars around for days at a time unrefrigerated. I wrap the bars in a baggie and pack them directly from the refrigerator into a small insulated travel bag with small ice packs that I keep on the bike. It's just a habit form living in South Florida

The Misses has carried the bars in her purse wrapped in a sandwich baggie for the day. She indicates that the bars will get soft and somewhat crumbly. She also says that the bars are more flavorful when cold.

I also gave the recipe to a friend of mine and his wife. They flew from Florida to hike in Wyoming for 4 days recently. They packed one full tray of the bars to bring along. Their only comment was the same as my Misses as listed above. My friends did not have any spoilage. They still make and consume the bars.

These bars are preservative free. Every batch I have made is consumed in about 6 to 7 weeks. As long as the bars are refrigerated, I have not had any spoilage or flavor changes. I keep the bars in an airtight Tupperware type container in the chiller compartment of the refrigerator. The temperature is set to about 34 degrees.

Enjoy your hike.ThumbUpThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png