***What the recent Honda recall means for you and your Roadsmith Trike***

recall

I just recently received my recall notice on a 2007 Goldwing that I purchased from a Roadsmith dealer. The bike was fitted with the 2015 Roadsmith Trike Kit. I called the local Honda Powersport Store to see if the recall applied to my trike since with the Roadsmith the back brakes are delinked. I was told that no, it does not qualify for the repair to be made. I then called Honda directly to verify this and they said that they do not know if Roadsmith is one of the kits that do not qualify. Does anyone with a Roadsmith trike have any knowledge they can share with me on this? Can Roadsmith help me please to sort this out?

Cinjeff - thanks for your post. In a nutshell, the recall has to do with the secondary master cylinder (SMC). Honda has found that the SMC may cause the REAR brakes to drag. We disable the SMC during the conversion process, and by doing so, eliminate any connection between the SMC and REAR brakes, making it impossible for the SMC to cause the REAR brakes to drag. What should Roadsmith owners do? Contact your local dealer and have your trike inspected in accordance with the recall (yes, believe it or not, Honda is including trikes in the recall). Once the dealer verifies the SMC is disabled, your trike will be marked as inspected and you are all done.

Please bring your trike to the dealership. This will get your VIN number off of Honda's list of vehicles to be inspected. Please let me know if any questions, or any issues with your local dealer performing this inspection.

Jim

Recall

Jim,
Thank you for the information on this. I will schedule an appt. in the spring and have it inspected. Merry Christmas and thanks again for clearing that up.

Cinjeff - thanks for your post. In a nutshell, the recall has to do with the secondary master cylinder (SMC). Honda has found that the SMC may cause the REAR brakes to drag. We disable the SMC during the conversion process, and by doing so, eliminate any connection between the SMC and REAR brakes, making it impossible for the SMC to cause the REAR brakes to drag. What should Roadsmith owners do? Contact your local dealer and have your trike inspected in accordance with the recall (yes, believe it or not, Honda is including trikes in the recall). Once the dealer verifies the SMC is disabled, your trike will be marked as inspected and you are all done.

Please bring your trike to the dealership. This will get your VIN number off of Honda's list of vehicles to be inspected. Please let me know if any questions, or any issues with your local dealer performing this inspection.

Jim

I should of ask more questions I guess, but I took my '12 Goldwing w/Roadsmith kit, and the Honda wrench had
it on his work table for 3 1/2 hours while I went out for a bit to eat, then walked back to the dealership and waited
another 1 1/2 hour.

Of course I wasn't allowed back in their service bays to just ask questions.
Dam, I hate service writers and their wrenches that act like there's nothing wrong with the world and tell you very little.
about your ride.

When completed, I sign off and went back home and Honda got hit with some bill and labor.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png