Never ending search for a comfortable seat

Jul 16, 2009
Donalsonville Georgia
Hello folks,
i am trying to find a seat that really does what it says for the distance. i have been riding all my life but at 52 it seems i can only last about 50 miles on this stock harley roadglide seat. My poor wife has about 1" of way to soft foam on her pad and you would think for what we pay for these bikes they could put a decent seat on them. I have used corbin in the past and yes there was some improvement but for 500.00? not enough. They can send people into space but my butt still hurts, Whats up with that!!LOL
I have read about the "Ultimate seat" and called them but they said they did not have one for my trike? i thought others on the forum had used these on their trikes?
Anyway we are leaving for the smokies in 2 weeks and i wanted to suprise my wife with something that works!
all replies appreciated.
Roger

I'll second the Airhawk. Just ordered (today) one for me and for the missus. Used them for a long time, old one finally gave out. It will take a couple of tries to get it adjusted just right. Way cheaper (but not cheap!) than a seat that may or may not work. It will keep your butt dry.

Dwight

I also installed the wide mustang seats, both my wife and I find them very comfortable. They are also a good company to work with. First seat I recieved had a very small nick in the fabric, they replaced it no problem and payed for shipping.

With your close timeline this won't help for this trip but check out Diamond Seats. They are a little spendy but they take your custom measurements (such as height, weight, inseam length, how well you fit on the stock seat, etc) as well as your passengers measurements (if she'll give them to you?) and design a seat built to your specifications. I have had a couple on different bikes and have ridden over 850 miles in one day and felt like I could go another 850 (seat-wise anyways!). You can find them at Diamond Custom Seats - Home Page - Custom motorcycle seats for Goldwing, Honda, Harley Davidson, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki and BMW. Their phone number is 800-722-9995. Usually when you call, you are talking with the owner, Mark. He will answer any questions you might have and give you more information that you'll ever think you need. Good luck...

Thanks guys, i went with the mustang not cheap but not as hard as a corbin and good folks, can send it back if not satisfied. The other options were good info but i kinda jammed myself up with time and mustang had one in stock
My sister rides a softail with a mustang and she loves it.
Thanks for the input and we will see ya on da road!! :D
Roger

With your close timeline this won't help for this trip but check out Diamond Seats. They are a little spendy but they take your custom measurements (such as height, weight, inseam length, how well you fit on the stock seat, etc) as well as your passengers measurements (if she'll give them to you?) and design a seat built to your specifications. I have had a couple on different bikes and have ridden over 850 miles in one day and felt like I could go another 850 (seat-wise anyways!). You can find them at Diamond Custom Seats - Home Page - Custom motorcycle seats for Goldwing, Honda, Harley Davidson, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki and BMW. Their phone number is 800-722-9995. Usually when you call, you are talking with the owner, Mark. He will answer any questions you might have and give you more information that you'll ever think you need. Good luck...

CR: Have to agree completely with you. Have Marks seats on my GL1800 & both wifey & I love it. So far 700 mile week ends have been a total non-event. Guess it pays to pamper your butt!:D

I know you all ready committed to the Mustang, but I purchased one of the new HD "Hammock" seats and like it. I have already spent (4) 350 miles days on it without issue.

I have read about the "Ultimate seat" and called them but they said they did not have one for my trike? i thought others on the forum had used these on their trikes?

all replies appreciated.
Roger

Roger,

I have the Ultimate seats on my trike and so far have found them to be extremely comfortable. I'm a bit surprised that you were told that they didn't make a set for your Trike. If I'm not mistaken, the seats for the trikes are no different then the seats for the motorcycle. At least that's how it is for my Valkyrie.

If you do decide to check the Ultimate Seats again, ask to speak to Des. He'll give you a straight answer!

Ted, I was also very interested in the Hammock seat. What is the fitment for 07 and older? I was under the impression that the Hammock was 08 and later?

UB

Dave ultimate seats is going to be in branson in august and they have them in stock and fit them on the spot just give them a call to make sure they bring a couple extra.

When i talked to the folks at ultimate seats they advised me that they would not fit the tri-glide because they use a 2 seat system and you need a single piece seat for the mounting holes on the tri-glide. this is true as there are no holes for putting just a solo seat on.
at any rate i am hopefull the mustange will fill the bill as they say.
roger

Dave your correct the hammock is for the 08 and newer, but I modified my 07 to a 08 gas tank so I have to use a 08 or newer seat. The seat fits to the tank and then I made a mounting point for the rear of the seat.

got the seat from Mustang and it was great, only problem is it pushed me forward about 4 " i am 6'4" and need all the legroom i can get.
I sent it back and picked up a "hammock" at a dealer on the way to the mountains.
It is just what the doctor ordered. 3 days of 250 miles riding while there and never a sore butt
true test came yesterday when we did 480 to get home. not a problem, rest of my body was shot but the seat worked. very happy with the Hammock!
regards, Roger

How 'bout the Road Zeppelin? Pros? Cons? Since I don't have to put my feet on the ground, I wouldn't mind sitting on a nice fat pillow, lol! Maybe it would keep the heat off my butt!:yes:

I know it looks funky, but I love the spring seat on my Crossbones. I put in 700+ miles 2 weeks ago on Memorial Day weekend and no butt pain at all. I did have some lower back pain, but I attribute that to when I broke my back many moons ago. The spring tractor seat is wider than my derrière (no small feat for a stock seat...) LOL!!! And the seat springs combined with the stock softtail suspension made it feel as if I was riding on a cloud. I can only imagine that seat on a Road glide would feel like absolute heaven. Although it would be something to see on a RG... But then again I like the funky look of the seat....LOL!!!

Now you know why HD puts those Police seats on the Road King and Electra Glides. I never heard a motorman complain about the seat.

I have owned everything from a 1940 80ci flathead to a 62 pan with a few shovels in between and they all had solo seats with 5" springs.
They look very very cooooooool and are like riding on air and these bikes were all hardtails also!
Roger

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png