Free Wheeler or TriGlide for passenger comfort

Hi everyone... new to this forum and looking for some advice... I really want to buy a Harley Trike and I have a wife that loves to ride with me and it is almost impossible to get out of the driveway without her wanting to go along... That, I guess is a good problem.... I really like the Free Wheeler, but am thinking the better trike to go with is the Tri Glide for passenger comfort?? We plan to try both before purchasing, but I would really like to hear from you guys and/or gals on this issue...

Probably should mention we would not venture more than a couple hundred miles from home without the trike in a trailer behind our RV.

Thanks..
ZMAN in Navarre, Florida

freewheeler or tri glide

stinger608 said:
This post has been deleted!!!

This was due to being very uncalled for!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on what you said, I would recommend the Freewheeler. Plenty comfortable for two as long as you don't need a lot of storage for trips.
matt

if you are going to trailer your trike everywhere why buy one. Buy a golf cart it is more suitable for your style of biking

Damn Gerald.....Thinking that was a bit harsh.....In my opinion I'd just go full tilt. Once you go over to the Trike Side you'll start to enjoy it and the wife will really appreciate the comfort of the Big Trike. Add that to the larger luggage space, you might just find that the longer trips can be made without the trailer. Better foul weather coverage and stability on and on....Just my opinion - jc

We have had both trikes. The triglide is much better for longer trips. But i have to say the freewheeler is much more fun imo. The stock seat is not good for the passenger. We had a seat guy build up the seat with gel and memory foam, It is good now. We both drive and hubby said the tri was a little better for him., but this one is ok (as a passenger). We took a trip on the tri and it was great. We are planning one on the free. looking for a bag for the backrest. Both trikes are great. but I LOVE the free. it is much more fun to drive. I am small and a much easier ride for me. When the day comes and hubby has to give up his two wheels (which may be soon) he wants a tri for traveling. But me I will always like the free better..:)

freewheeler or tri glide

not trying to be harsh but when you spend thousands of dollars on a three wheel trike why trailer it. Riding a freewheeler or a tri glide for that matter is the most fun you will ever have on three wheels or even a high powered sports car. Leave the RV at home, ride the trike. you will meet more people than you could imagine

not trying to be harsh but when you spend thousands of dollars on a three wheel trike why trailer it.
Nothing wrong w/taking your "home" with you and then unloading the trike and riding the area around where you are.
IMO, the Tri-Glide would the best choice of the 2, even for 200 mile rides, for 2 up riding. Of course neither gives the smooth ride of an IRS conversion with extended wheel base that gets that rear suspension out from underneath the passengers bottom.

Nothing wrong w/taking your "home" with you and then unloading the trike and riding the area around where you are.
IMO, the Tri-Glide would the best choice of the 2, even for 200 mile rides, for 2 up riding. Of course neither gives the smooth ride of an IRS conversion with extended wheel base that gets that rear suspension out from underneath the passengers bottom.

I agree - We have used the Trailer twice. Trailered out to Denver, dropped the trailer at a HD dealers, then Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and then back to Denver. Still put over 4K on the trip and wife was a trooper. But if I had added another 2K to that trip, not so sure. Plus Chicago to Denver is pretty much highway. Did the same thing for an East Coast trip....Allows us to take a longer Ride with less expense.

jc

I've had both, an '09 Tri-Glide and a '15 Freewheeler. Rarely ride 2 up, Wife rides her own Tri. Wife tells me the Tri is much more comfortable on the back when she has ridden there. A lot more storage for 2 people on the Tri for jackets etc. IF you are going to ride 2 up most of the time I'd recommend the Tri......

UNLESS

Money is an issue. I'm sure you know the Tri costs about 50% more, BUT you get a lot more.

If we went down to 1 trike I'd keep the Tri even though I love the Free, the Tri would be a whole lot better for the two of us.

Happy Hunting and enjoy whichever you choose

not trying to be harsh but when you spend thousands of dollars on a three wheel trike why trailer it. Riding a freewheeler or a tri glide for that matter is the most fun you will ever have on three wheels or even a high powered sports car. Leave the RV at home, ride the trike. you will meet more people than you could imagine

Some folks just don't have the physical stamina to travel on the trike full time, due to medical conditions. I fall into that category, and your comments leave me feeling edgy. Before declaring how others should ride, give a little thought as to why someone may be on a trike in the first place.

Since it's your first post...........

Welcome to TT!ThumbUp

I've owned both a Tri Glide and an FLRT. For two up riding I would suggest the TriGlide.

The tri might be better for 2 up, just as an Ultra would be better for two up than a Road King. There are seats and some things that can make it doable. As far as the Free just being a bar hopper, I respectfully disagree.

I've had both, an '09 Tri-Glide and a '15 Freewheeler. Rarely ride 2 up, Wife rides her own Tri. Wife tells me the Tri is much more comfortable on the back when she has ridden there. A lot more storage for 2 people on the Tri for jackets etc. IF you are going to ride 2 up most of the time I'd recommend the Tri......

UNLESS

Money is an issue. I'm sure you know the Tri costs about 50% more, BUT you get a lot more.

If we went down to 1 trike I'd keep the Tri even though I love the Free, the Tri would be a whole lot better for the two of us.

Happy Hunting and enjoy whichever you choose

Thank you for your response and thanks to all the other forum members for their constructive comments. To clarify my original post.. We do not intend to ‘travel the country’ or ‘bar hop’ on any kind of trike. We travel in a small class ‘A’ motorhome with two Standard Poodles and usually tow some kind of transportation to use at our destinations. A golf cart may work in and around a RV park, but certainly not in cities or on highways. We have plenty of minimal distance destinations (day trips) here in the Florida Panhandle that we could enjoy traveling on a trike of some sort, and that seems to sound, more and more, like a Free Wheeler, although once we ride both the FW and Tri, who knows. Many of our Elk friends have bikes and there are plenty of poker runs, etc. between the 6 or 8 clubs in our area that we can participate. My wife is tiny and if the seat becomes or is uncomfortable, it sounds like there are alternatives. Having said all that, thanks again for all your comments and I hope I have not been too ‘long winded’ with this reply.

I agree - We have used the Trailer twice. Trailered out to Denver, dropped the trailer at a HD dealers, then Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and then back to Denver. Still put over 4K on the trip and wife was a trooper. But if I had added another 2K to that trip, not so sure. Plus Chicago to Denver is pretty much highway. Did the same thing for an East Coast trip....Allows us to take a longer Ride with less expense.

jc
THIS sooo THIS. We have plans to pick up a trailer for just this reason. The interstate is boring, but needed for some of the long stretches to the places I want to ride. I would rather trailer to the interesting spot then put a couple thousand on the trike and trailer home.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your response and thanks to all the other forum members for their constructive comments. To clarify my original post.. We do not intend to ‘travel the country’ or ‘bar hop’ on any kind of trike. We travel in a small class ‘A’ motorhome with two Standard Poodles and usually tow some kind of transportation to use at our destinations. A golf cart may work in and around a RV park, but certainly not in cities or on highways. We have plenty of minimal distance destinations (day trips) here in the Florida Panhandle that we could enjoy traveling on a trike of some sort, and that seems to sound, more and more, like a Free Wheeler, although once we ride both the FW and Tri, who knows. Many of our Elk friends have bikes and there are plenty of poker runs, etc. between the 6 or 8 clubs in our area that we can participate. My wife is tiny and if the seat becomes or is uncomfortable, it sounds like there are alternatives. Having said all that, thanks again for all your comments and I hope I have not been too ‘long winded’ with this reply.
If the wife is tiny then this might be a great option for you on the Freewheeler. Also if you are using the motorhome as "home base" and doing daytrips the free works well. I have done some 400 mile round day trips on my free before the new seat I put on and it was doable.

hdfwdte_2t.jpg

THIS sooo THIS. We have plans to pick up a trailer for just this reason. The interstate is boring, but needed for some of the long stretches to the places I want to ride. I would rather trailer to the interesting spot then put a couple thousand on the trike and trailer home.

- - - Updated - - -

If the wife is tiny then this might be a great option for you on the Freewheeler. Also if you are using the motorhome as "home base" and doing daytrips the free works well. I have done some 400 mile round day trips on my free before the new seat I put on and it was doable.

View attachment 32181

That is a great looking seat and passenger back rest.. was it custom made for you? I am 'assuming' this is a picture of your FW.

Hi everyone... new to this forum and looking for some advice... I really want to buy a Harley Trike and I have a wife that loves to ride with me and it is almost impossible to get out of the driveway without her wanting to go along... That, I guess is a good problem.... I really like the Free Wheeler, but am thinking the better trike to go with is the Tri Glide for passenger comfort?? We plan to try both before purchasing, but I would really like to hear from you guys and/or gals on this issue...

Probably should mention we would not venture more than a couple hundred miles from home without the trike in a trailer behind our RV.

Thanks..
ZMAN in Navarre, Florida

Many here won't understand RVing nor appreciate the idea of a trike for a toad so roll with it.

That said I'd recommend the Freewheeler if you really like bikes. I've owned both and swapped a '14 TK for a '15 FLRT and am glad I did. By comparison, the FLRT gives the feel of a bike while the full-boat TK feels more like a Jeep with the top & doors off. OTOH if I were planning on being on the road for more than a couple days the TK would be the better choice both for comfort in bad weather and luggage capacity. You are the only one who can make that choice. Some dealers rent both for about $100/day. Suggest doing so. Good luck.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscopicker

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscopicker
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png