steerng head bearings

Dragon

250+ Posts
Dec 28, 2010
oly,wa
Good morning

I am replacing my steering head bearings and want to know if anyone has
replaced the dust or grease seal that caps the bearing. and where did you get them.
tbms is closed now until after the holiday so I can't get them from there yet.

Thanx
Dragon

Steering head bearing....

Dragon....check with a bearing distributor in your area....I found Heim bearings at the bearing business here also.....
was your steering wheel loose?
im having some play in mine too....good luck brother...

Oddoman (Dave Oddo)
Effingham, SC

Good morning

replaced the dust or grease seal that caps the bearing. and where did you get them.

Thanx
Dragon

I had a play in my steering wheel also. I found the nut on the bottom of the pin that goes through the triple tree from the steering arm was loose. It doesn't have a washer on the bottom of it and it was eating into the aluminum. I installed a washer and everything is tight now. Rick

When I did mine there was not a real grease seal, just the dust guard. I just re-used the old ones. One suggestion don't just pack the bearings pack the whole sleeve that the stem passes through. First it will keep your bearing from loosing their grease and will help keep water out. The original install they just packed the bearings and water washes the grease away after time and the bearings then rust away especially the lower one. Boy does it steer a lot easier after you do the change. I purchased my replacement bearings from NAPA. Had to dremal tool the inside of the top bearing race a little to get it to slide over the stem but it's not a high wear area so I was not worried if it was a little out of round. Good Luck with the repair it is time consuming but not hard.

Happy New Year
Had no luck finding dust seals locally. I would use the old seals but they
have all the rubber seal worn off.
As for steering, I have had a lot of problems with the front end:mad:
since I bought the beast . thanx for all replys

Dragon

Happy New Year

Had no luck finding dust seals locally. I would use the old seals but they

have all the rubber seal worn off.

As for steering, I have had a lot of problems with the front end:mad:

since I bought the beast . thanx for all replys

Dragon

The steering on the Stallion is really very old school design, but works very well. Now get down to the front wheel setup and there are some potential problems there when things wear out. So far I have been able to re=pack the axle bearings and the caliper bearings and have almost 80k on her still going strong for the wife. I believe the key is to do preventive maintenance. So far at about every 30k I have gone completely thru it and greased and replaced all that I thought needed attention. I think once you go thru it and get it all up to par you will be happier with it. Good Luck

Good morning

Thanx
Dragon
after market bike shop ordered mine about $10
I always and grease fitting to neck if it doesn't have one- so I can just fill it up with grease and then just give it a pump with grease gun a couple times a yearThumbUp

contacted tbms about the dust seals and was told that they come as a complete set
bearings, races, seals. Richard also said that these bearings and seals are the same
units used on the gl1500 goldwings. I went to bikebandit and looked this up, it showed
the lower bearing and seal but only showed the upper seal connected to nut. went to local
Honda shop and had them check this out and that is what showed up on their system. didn't
have one in stock would have to order it. I didn't feel like ordering the part to find out.
ordered complete set from tbms.

Dragon

Good morning
I finally got my dust seals. bought the bearings 2 weeks ago.
here goes I install the races and then grease the bearings up real good.
put in the lower bearing and was trying to install the upper bearing
and it won't go down on the stem where it is supposed to be, so I take
it all back out grease allover everything and find the bearing is not the right
one. I got my bearings at napa the upper bearing number that they crossed over
was BR32005. this number will not fit, is there another number that I should get ?
napa says this is the right one but the id of new bearing is too small.:xzqxz:

Thanks
Dragon

Good morning
was BR32005. this number will not fit, is there another number that I should get ?

Thanks
Dragon

Yes I dremalled the bearing until it fit. Did not have to take a lot off. Just used the little grinder wheel around and around til it slid on.

Good Morning
I should have read gorilla's response more closely. I just thought he used the
dremal tool to help with the race. as you said round and round with a sanding
disc, takes awhile but the steering head is back together.

Dragon

Glad to hear that you got everything back together and can get it back out on the road. Your post helps all of us know what and how to work on our Stallion when it's needed.

Bearing question:

Good morning

Thanks
Dragon

Does the upper and lower bearing have the same part number? Thanks

Good morning
the lower bearing is larger than the upper bearing.
don't know why they just didn't use the same bearing
both places.

Dragon

Morning
The beast got new,
front wheel bearings federal p/n 32006
front seals napa p/n 14939 also national p/n 470625
lower steering head bearing napa p/n 32006
upper bearing napa p/n 32005 but needs the inner bearing surface reamed out to fit.
all ball bearing lists both these bearings for Goldwing 15 and 18. this includes
races, bearing and dust seals together. hope this helps
Dragon

How many miles did you guys have on your Stallions? I'm coming up on 25000 and I'm wondering if I should start thinking about changing them. Everything seems tight now and it goes straight down the road up to triple digits with no wobbles. Thx Rick

How many miles did you guys have on your Stallions? I'm coming up on 25000 and I'm wondering if I should start thinking about changing them. Everything seems tight now and it goes straight down the road up to triple digits with no wobbles. Thx Rick

Rocket I had to do my wife's at 60K and 7 years old. The lower steering bearing rusted to the point that it was hard to steer. I don't feel there was enough grease in the neck so water was allowed to stay in there and rust the bearing. When I re-assembled it a packed the steering head completely full of grease besides packing the bearings. Steers like never before.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png