Alarming Situation!

Aug 28, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO USA
1995 GL1500 SE w/Lehman conversion 70,xxx miles. Has an aftermarket (brand unknown) alarm system installed. A few days ago I heard the alarm sounding intermittently in the garage. Went out to see what is up. Key in the ignition, off. Pushing the button on the alarm fob had no impact. Turned key on, alarm stopped. But no lights on anywhere. Checked battery voltage. Dead. Hooked up charger. Won't hold a charge. New battery ordered & installed. As soon as I hooked up the ground the alarm started going off. Unhook the ground the alarm stopped. Long story short I was able to find an inline fuse in the alarm circuitry which shut it down. Not looking for troubleshooting advice here as I do not have those kind of skills. Nor the patience required. Have a Car Toys & Drive In Auto sound locally & both sell/install auto alarm systems. Any other suggestions as to where I might take it to have someone find/fix the problem? Trike installer? TIA, Stan

Grumpy, Is all well without the alarm hooked up? If so is it worth the expense and hassle of getting it reconnected or replaced? If you need it then I would suggest going to a car alarm place that is willing to install a new system. I think you will probably find that the current system has shorted out from moisture. Those systems are made for cars where they can stay relatively dry. Just my thoughts.

Yes everything works except the alarm. I tend to agree that it may not be worth the hassle/cost to repair/replace it. As to the moisture issue, the trike has been in a heated garage since about mid October. Not ridden or washed. Too cold. No issues with the alarm since I have owned it, so why would it go bonkers now?:xzqxz: Not arguing, just wonder why now, when it has been dry for months. Wondered if the battery going bad could have something to do with the problem. Maybe something that has to be reset? Probably wishful thinking. Stan

Yes everything works except the alarm. I tend to agree that it may not be worth the hassle/cost to repair/replace it. As to the moisture issue, the trike has been in a heated garage since about mid October. Not ridden or washed. Too cold. No issues with the alarm since I have owned it, so why would it go bonkers now?:xzqxz: Not arguing, just wonder why now, when it has been dry for months. Wondered if the battery going bad could have something to do with the problem. Maybe something that has to be reset? Probably wishful thinking. Stan

You logic is pretty solid Stan but without knowing the brand it's hard to do any research. Can you find anything on the unit to give a hint? That place you mentioned might be worth a call as a minimum..

Good luck with the fix. :xszpv::xszpv:

Sorry, no indication of brand or manufacturer anywhere I can find. Car Toys guy said they could try to troubleshoot it if I bring the trike in, but no guess on how much it will cost. If it ever warms up I may take it in & let them give me an estimate. Thanks for the replies. Stan

Grumpy, Is all well without the alarm hooked up? If so is it worth the expense and hassle of getting it reconnected or replaced? If you need it then I would suggest going to a car alarm place that is willing to install a new system. I think you will probably find that the current system has shorted out from moisture. Those systems are made for cars where they can stay relatively dry. Just my thoughts.

+1 on the moisture

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poorhouse

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poorhouse
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png