Smokes like hell on start up

Sep 14, 2015
McMinnville
Lookin for some ideas. I am trying to help a friend with her first bike. It is a 1997 dyna super glide. Her exboyfriend installed .020 over pistons and rings before she got the bike. I don't think there is even 100 miles on it since that was done. When I first started to work on it I found the oil return line to oil pump was kinked and replaced it.
did the oil pump check ball thing with the oil pump. Has good oil pressure(checked it with gauge) and good flow and is returning to tank. On cold start it smokes like hell for about 60 to 90 seconds and then clears off. Sometimes, it doesn't smoke so bad, but about 90% of the time it does. I warmed it up the other day, shut it off and then pinched the oil supply line with vice grips and let it set till morning. Still smoked when I started it. After completely warm, no more smoke. Crack the throttle hard, and no smoke. Note, I have not ridden this bike. After some investigating, found out nothing was done to the cyl. heads. Cam is stock. I can't believe valve stem seals would let that much oil in this engine and smoke for as long as it does. Absolutely no oil coming out of head vent to air cleaner. Engine sounds great. Looked through spark plug holes at pistons and can read the .020 over bore on them. Plugs are oil fouled but fireing pretty good. I am getting ready to tear it down and rebuild the heads but thought I would ask you guys if you have ever had this problem and had any advise.
Thanks, Mick (trikenewby)

Being it's only got 100 miles, it's possible the rings ar not seated yet. I would run it some 2000 miles or oil change due date, then see. Will make it or just get worse. JMO

:Agree::Agree::Agree::Agree: With no more miles on the rebuild this would be normal. Put at least 500 miles on it and don't rev the engine over 3K. At 500 miles change the oil and strain the oil as you dump it and look for any metal particles.

Fresh oil and run the hell out of it!! Get the engine good and hot and everything should seat in well within another 500 miles. If still blowing smoke on start up it could be valves need lapping or adjusting.

By the way, what color is the smoke coming out at start up? BLUE or BLACK?
Could always be fuel adjustment/flooding in Carb. Fouled plugs are a good indicator that it's running too rich or fuel seeping through jets and almost flooding the engine on start up until excess is burnt off. Just for S&G go to Parts store and pick up a bottle of STARTRON and add a couple ounces to tank of gas. This will clean fuel system.

Does it pop or backfire when you back off the throttle while riding? I don't think you have a major problem and should be easy to get it right.

Have fun and enjoy the challenge. ThumbUp

Lookin for some ideas. I am trying to help a friend with her first bike. It is a 1997 dyna super glide. Her exboyfriend installed .020 over pistons and rings before she got the bike. I don't think there is even 100 miles on it since that was done. When I first started to work on it I found the oil return line to oil pump was kinked and replaced it.
did the oil pump check ball thing with the oil pump. Has good oil pressure(checked it with gauge) and good flow and is returning to tank. On cold start it smokes like hell for about 60 to 90 seconds and then clears off. Sometimes, it doesn't smoke so bad, but about 90% of the time it does. I warmed it up the other day, shut it off and then pinched the oil supply line with vice grips and let it set till morning. Still smoked when I started it. After completely warm, no more smoke. Crack the throttle hard, and no smoke. Note, I have not ridden this bike. After some investigating, found out nothing was done to the cyl. heads. Cam is stock. I can't believe valve stem seals would let that much oil in this engine and smoke for as long as it does. Absolutely no oil coming out of head vent to air cleaner. Engine sounds great. Looked through spark plug holes at pistons and can read the .020 over bore on them. Plugs are oil fouled but fireing pretty good. I am getting ready to tear it down and rebuild the heads but thought I would ask you guys if you have ever had this problem and had any advise.
Thanks, Mick (trikenewby)

For some time and 2 exhaust gaskets, you pull the exhaust and look into to exhaust port you can inspect the exhaust guides. If there is oil on the stem it's the valve stem seal. Outside of the guide it's loose guides.

Intake valves can be inspected by pulling the manifold and use of a small retractable mirror.

For some time and 2 exhaust gaskets, you pull the exhaust and look into to exhaust port you can inspect the exhaust guides. If there is oil on the stem it's the valve stem seal. Outside of the guide it's loose guides. Intake valves can be inspected by pulling the manifold and use of a small retractable mirror.

:Agree: That's the direction I'd be heading.

trikenewby

Trikenewby here. Just thought I would let you guys know what I found when I tore down the dyna evo I am working on for a friend. Front cylinder top two rings gaps lined up both facing forward. Going to correct that and rebuild cylinder heads. Thanks for your replies.

Thanks.......Mick, Trikenwby

Good on you !!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:
Did you check the back jug? Odds are if he did it on the front he did it on the rear too. Flood gates were open....I bet that sucker did Smoke !:AGGHH:

ringorientation.jpg

Proper Ring Orientation is Shown Above
Click on the Image for the Full Ring Installation Instructions

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png