Factory Trike Verses Converted Trike

Pros & cons of factory conversions

My own experience as a builder tells me this about Factory conversions:

The factory assembles conversions experimentally.:AGGHH:

The average trike owner does not put 5,000 miles a year on his or her trike so any potential problems may not manifest themselves for many years down the road. Some trikes get less than 1,500 miles a year while there are those lifestyle trike riders that may put 30,000 or more on theirs. That means that most trike conversions, although tried and true, have not been subjected to the same road tests.

Your local dealer/installer sees these trikes from time to time and may make adjustments and repairs to a high mileage trike that it's lower mileage counterpart might not have yet experienced. These repairs, adjustments, modifications and tweeks are unbeknownst to the factory since they very seldom see a trike they have built for a service problem. Dealer/installer usually alert the factory to a persistent issue but unless the factory sees that there is a definite problem they may or may not respond. After all, who is the dealer to be telling the factory engineers that they may have overlooked something.

As far as uniformity in construction, I agree that the factory is the best place for a conversion that is perfect. The dealer/installer does not always work with perfect circumstances or conditions and the contents of the kit may exclude items needed and further delay construction. Cookie cutter trikes built by the factory may contain engineered deficiencies that at one time or another will affect their entire fleet. This is not usually the case with the trike built by an experienced field dealer/builder whose product is locally used and serviced and whose reputation is usually reported to others in his general geographic area. The factory reputation can last many times longer simply because of their geographic area is ever encompassing (worldwide sales).

Support of a local builder/installer is important to those who travel as well. It is not easy to find someone to fix or repair your trike when you are out of town. People usually rely on a motorcycle shop that may have no experience at all with a trike (this includes a lot of Harley dealers).

Since most trike factories offer trike conversions direct to the customer, a dealer/installer is at a disadvantage with on-the-shelf parts and is also in competition with the very Factory he is supporting.

Your local dealer/installer repair shop might not be there when you need them.

How bout we add something to the equation? What are the legal ramifications involved in operating a modified product? (This individual modified his motorcycle and hit my client's car, we are asking for $1,000,000.)

I would implead both the bike manufacturer and the kit manufacturer especially if it was a popular high number conversion, i.e., GW / CSC. Grounds would be known design incompatibility, foreseeability of conversion, numbers of that particular conversion, failure to warn of defect /incompatibility.... It would be really interesting to do a thorough workup of any compatibility problems of particular combinations. Most likely, for example, Honda sells a significant number of GW's that are mated with CSC kits and the numbers are sufficient to charge Honda with foreseeability of certain happenings. (There may or may not be anything to this. As a biker/triker/amateur mechanic, I think the major-company conversions are very good and that 99.9% of the accidents are caused by Human negligence. As a lawyer, I either love or dread multiple defendants pointing fingers at each other)

Getting serious, the time is past for the bike manafacturers to pretend they have no relationship with the trike industry. During the past year we have began to see major trade publications carry full page ads of particular bike/trike kit combinations. (I'd like to see how the bills for these full page ads are being split)

The trike industry is maturing and is becoming a more integral part of the Motorsports world and I seriously doubt that HD will long continue as the only OE trike manafacturer in the business.

Just st my opinion. The ball game is getting better.

Dan

I would implead both the bike manufacturer and the kit manufacturer especially if it was a popular high number conversion, i.e., GW / CSC. Grounds would be known design incompatibility, foreseeability of conversion, numbers of that particular conversion, failure to warn of defect /incompatibility.... It would be really interesting to do a thorough workup of any compatibility problems of particular combinations. Most likely, for example, Honda sells a significant number of GW's that are mated with CSC kits and the numbers are sufficient to charge Honda with foreseeability of certain happenings. (There may or may not be anything to this. As a biker/triker/amateur mechanic, I think the major-company conversions are very good and that 99.9% of the accidents are caused by Human negligence. As a lawyer, I either love or dread multiple defendants pointing fingers at each other)

Getting serious, the time is past for the bike manafacturers to pretend they have no relationship with the trike industry. During the past year we have began to see major trade publications carry full page ads of particular bike/trike kit combinations. (I'd like to see how the bills for these full page ads are being split)

The trike industry is maturing and is becoming a more integral part of the Motorsports world and I seriously doubt that HD will long continue as the only OE trike manafacturer in the business.

Just st my opinion. The ball game is getting better.

Dan

Interesting you would pick CSC as an example in your post! Remember the CSC drive shaft failures?
IMHO, it would do no good to enjoin the bike manufacturer in any law suit concerning a non-manufacturer approved modification made to their bike.
Since the manufacturer has no control over what is done to one or more of their bikes by the consumer, how could they be sued for a problem with said modification?
What is very interesting to me is knowing warranty coverage is usually voided on any problem that can be attributed to the conversion, why would the manufacturer allow their dealerships to install trike conversions?????

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png