Nitrogen in rear/front tires?

Sep 13, 2015
Belton
I'm about to replace the rear tires on my '06 GL1800 Trike with a Hannigan kit. Going to try Cooper Commanders for the first time. I've had very good success using them on P/U trucks and SUVs for years. They have really deep tread (12/32") and are very long wearing (50K+ miles). Has anyone tried using nitrogen inflated tires on their trike?

I use 78 % nitrogen in all my vehicles tires, Seems to work well... :Shrug:
I think the nitrogen thing started in Florida many years ago when the dealers tried to sell it $$$$ to older drivers saying that their tires will last longer then them...;)

I'm about to replace the rear tires on my '06 GL1800 Trike with a Hannigan kit. Going to try Cooper Commanders for the first time. I've had very good success using them on P/U trucks and SUVs for years. They have really deep tread (12/32") and are very long wearing (50K+ miles). Has anyone tried using nitrogen inflated tires on their trike?

I just fill mine with 72% nitrogen.

Air contains 78% nitrogen.
If one could get 100% nitrogen in a tire (doubtful) there are some minute benefits:
1. More stable pressures (but then who doesn't check tire pressures often, especially on a motorcycle/trike). Some now have TPMS.
2. Cooler tire temps (never had a problem with to hot or to cold tires yet!)
3. Less moisture in the tires(never knew of any problems there?)
In other words, believe it to be a waste of good money to do this!

I had aluminum rims on my trucks (and still do) over time they started to oxides from the moister around the bead to a point where my tires would loose air.

If using nitrogen, I'm wondering if that would cut down on the aluminum rims oxidizing...........:Shrug:
Making sure one doesn't use water based lube to mount tires and making sure one uses a compressor with a filter on it to keep moisture out.

I used it when I was running two wheels and personally it helped with the cupping on the front tire. I would have put it in the new front tire when it was mounted but it wasn't available. Snake oil or not I will put it in if I can when I change tires next. I ran the same brand tires on two wheels with and without nitrogen and I could see a difference. To each his own but I like it.

I've used it in all my vehicles for many years. I never check tire pressure on any of them unless I'm going on a trip, or, in the fall before it gets to freezing. Best thing since sliced bread ... :D

- - - Updated - - -

As for cost, they charge me $5 per wheel for the life of the tires. So $15 insurance foe a $35K trike ... not too shabby.

I had nitrogen in my Camaro only because it was free whenever I stopped by the dealer.
Which was 4 times in 12 years.
In other words since regular air is 70% nitrogen. I guess when I filled all my vehicles at home. I technically had nitrogen in my tires. And I guess I still do.:laugh:
Paying for free air is ridiculous.

I've always used either N.C. or Georgia air

Good friend bought the life time Nitrigen air package.
$95.00 per wheel.
BUT had to use their Nitrogen tolarent valve stems total bill $416.32 life time meant life on original tires
Which he found out when replacing front tire.
He started using Ga pump air

I've always used either N.C. or Georgia air

Good friend bought the life time Nitrigen air package.
$95.00 per wheel.
BUT had to use their Nitrogen tolarent valve stems total bill $416.32 life time meant life on original tires
Which he found out when replacing front tire.
He started using Ga pump air

Don't keep the name of this "Good Deal" dealer a secret....inquiring minds want to know...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png