Gas Mileage

Apr 20, 2010
Peeltown, TX
Over the months I have seen this topic discussed and debated. I have an 09 Wing with a Motor Trike IRS set up. I have about 6,000 miles on the Wing. I have noticed an amazing variance in my mileage depending on not only fun with the throttle but wind as well. I have gotten as little as 28 MPG in stop and go windy conditions to an amazing 39 MPG holding the throttle steady at 60 in on a calm no wind kind of a day. I can say, however, regardless of the wind, when I kick it up to 70-75 MPH or do a lot of stop and go, my mileage drops accordingly. I ride solo most of the time. Overall I am probably averaging about 32 sometimes less and sometimes more. Even at 28 MPG I still am not complaining because the fun factor is worth it. Just my two cents
:Flag:

I agree. A lot depends on the wrist, and the wind. Only have 1700 miles on mine. At 65 mph I get 33 mpg. Yesterday took a long trip on 2 lane back roads bouncing from 40-50 mph. It jumped up to 40mpg! Big difference. Tom :)

Back roads hilly or not and keeping it under 55 I have gotten 38 to 39 MPH making time 2 up with a loaded trailer in tow 65 to 75 MPH I can drop to 28MPG. It is the price we pay for the fun factor.

Last edited:
My VTX 1300 gets from 25 to 33mpg. I was off bikes for 25 years when I got this, and I still have some of that "lead foot" tendency. I can live with the mileage, but I wish I had better range on a tank of gas. If I hot foot around, I'm on reserve at 80 miles. If I take it more mellow, I can get about 105 miles to reserve. We kicked auxiliary tanks around in another thread. Maybe someday, but not today for me.

Trikes, at least mine, seem more sensitive to speed then when they were 2 wheels. A lot more wind resistance due to those 2 large fenders sticking out, not to mention about 300# more weight and more friction in the drive. I average about 37 mpg around here but never get over 60 mph. I haven't had it on the Interstate for any length of time.

'03 Heritage Softail w/Motortrike solid axle....150 miles to reserve give or take a few depending on driving conditions, so that would put us like about everyone else avereging in the mid 30's.

Can Am Spyder RT, average 33 mpg on long road trips running 60 to 80 on the interstates. Best 3 tank average, 37mpg cruising the high deserts of Nevada.

I've checked the mileage on my recently converted Wing with a CSC kit every fill up since I converted it 5,000 miles ago. All kinds of driving. The worst I've ever gotten was 34 and the best was 38. Usually 36-37. Before the conversion I got 40-41.

I've checked the mileage on my recently converted Wing with a CSC kit every fill up since I converted it 5,000 miles ago. All kinds of driving. The worst I've ever gotten was 34 and the best was 38. Usually 36-37. Before the conversion I got 40-41.

Update, I now have checked the mileage with every fill up and now have 11,000 miles on kit. Still 34-38, but the interesting thing is, EVERY time I have a passenger the mileage actually has increased, regardless of weather or wind. Makes no sense.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png