difference between towpac and true trike?

May 27, 2010
Bremen IN
We rode all weekend what a wonderful ride and weather we had. My question is I have a front steering stabilizer on my bike how much if a difference is there in a stabilizer kit and ranking the front?

I left off part of my question. After riding for 2 days my elbows,back and shoulders are very sore. Even with the stabilizer installed. I am wondering if it is because I have the bolt on towpac 2 kit and not the true trike? I have to fight it on the crown of the road and even with the stabilizer I have some front end shaking. Is this still the case with a (true trike) and a raked front end? I put over 10,000 miles on this kit it was alot worst before I added the stabilizer. We also rode to a few trike shops over the weekend. Seen a very nice harley trike and my gold wing. I still like the 1500 gold wings better then the 1800 only because there seems to be more room for the driver on the 1500. Thanks

I'm not equipped to reply about the need for a rake with the bolt-on kits like towpac, but I wouldn't recommend a "true" trike without the rake. I am small, but with the rake added, I have no problem riding all day without the exhaustion and ache in my shoulders and back. The rake made a night and day difference!

I could be wrong here, but the explanation given to me in "simple terms" is that a stabilizer helps with the wobble feeling and a rake kit helps with the steering. I can tell you, if/when I get another trike it will definitely have a rake kit!! Still can't decide between a Harley and a Gold Wing, but that's ok because I don't have money for either one right now! ;)

First off I would not recommend the rake on a towpack. #2 there is no comparison in the stability of a true trike and a towpac/ Voyager . To begin with you have 3 rear wheels in back, at any given time one is not on the road. the rear of the bike is free to wiggle from side to side. The front end of a tow pac / Voyager motorcycle is a lot heavier feeling than the true trike . the bike tries to lean and the front wheel tries to lean but can't . My experience is 3 years and 20,000 miles on a Voyager equipped motorcycle.

Outrigger wheels vs real trikes. The outrigger wheels are a great way to see if you'll like a trike without spending a lot of money. No raked trees are used with these set ups. Outrigger wheels need to be 'fine tuned' or constantly checked to insure a good ride and for safety. They can be horrible when you have to put air in the middle tire. The easy on/easy off, isn't and requires two people if you want to be safe.
A real trike doesn't have an extra wheel to worry about, has trunk space, doesn't require constant attention for a good safe ride and you can use raked trees and doesn't have to be removed for maintenance.
The raked trees will make the steering 'Lighter' on a trike. On my Wing with Voyager, it does require some good upper body strength, but you don't have to be Hercules to steer it either. There are times in a turn when the Voyager is trying to reconfigure the triangulation of the wheels and you get a funky feeling as it goes between an equlateral to a right angle.

2monkeys if the setup you have is giving you pain, I would suggest the 1500 GW that you like converted to a trike with a rake kit. You will NOT be disappointed. John Luciano above has had both and knows from where he speaks.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png