Renegade LLS belt adjustment

Hey all..

I have just had a look under my bike and realised the belt is way too loose and possibly off to one side.

Is there and idiots guide to tensioning this belt? I have read the manual but the pictures are not very clear.

Do I need to take the wheels off??
Can I just jack the rear up a bit.. make the adjustment, roll the wheels to check ok?

Any help appreciated.. I was hoping to have a look tonight once this 40DegC day buggers off.

Do I need to take the wheels off??

Can I just jack the rear up a bit.. make the adjustment, roll the wheels to check ok?

Yes to above. Wheels need to be removed and adjustment needs to be equal on both sides. Belt adjustment is not for the novice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers again mate..

unfortunately living as far away from the bloke that did the conversion, it may have to become a task that I need to learn.

I am getting the feeling I will need to do most of the work on this bike after some pretty ordinary discussions with the local mechanics. Most don't want to know anything about it.

So any tips?

I have downloaded the instruction sheet, and although it wasn't overly clear with the procedure, I think I will be able to sort it out.

Main thing I see is the alignment more so than the tension. I think mine has moved across and I'm getting a rubbery squeaking sound when riding that has got increasingly worse over the last 60km. This I have to assume is the belt rubbing on the sides of the drive sprocket.

I have a hoist at home and all the tools required. I even have access to precision measuring equipment if necessary.

LLS Belt Adjustment

I doubt that you need a new belt. They don't stretch like the older belts do, they just break. It is really simple to do once you are set up. Study the assembly. The black plates with the slots are attached to the diff assembly. The lower and upper bolts allow the movement on the swingarm and upper frame.

Well... got the wheels off and attempted to adjust the belt tension..

I'm already at the max position!!
Which means the belt needs changing..

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Attachments

• LLS Belt Adjustment.pdf
    141 KB · Views: 216
Yup.. that's exactly what we did.. and there is no more room in the slotted holes to move the diff section back any further

We spent a fair bit of time mucking around and definitely came to the conclusion its at its end of adjustment
Had to unbolt the rear fibreglass and hold it up while my brother undid all the top bolts.

Physically it looks like it can go back as far as we need, but no cigar

I have got a feeling that the bloke that installed this on dads bike knew all along that he was at the end.. and it looks like dad had a go at tightening the belt also, cause one of the adjustment screws was bent. Looks like a slightly shorter belt should have been used when built

I am no longer scared to work on this trike.. LOL

I had the whole rear end apart looking at this belt alignment. It is definitely easier when the body is off.

I managed to get sufficient tension on the belt... but... the belt is stuffed!! It has a split both up and across the belt in the same spot.. as if a stone went in and pierced the belt.. The sideways split is about a 1/8 of the belt width. It is so bad that when aligning, the belt would move from one side of the rear sprocket to the other when the split comes around.

I am running on borrowed time.

My insurance includes road side assistance, so they will tow it home.. LOL

I have bought a 139T belt, which should be here soon.. but now time to either schedule in the replacement or have a red hot go at it myself. I am becoming more confident in doing myself.

I know this is going to break your heart.:cxtv:

You will have to remove the swingarm to install a new belt.:AGGHH:

You CANNOT twist the belt or you will break it. I learned the hard way. :AGGHH:

You might be able to slip it past the edge of the swingarm if you remove the bushing at the end of the pivot bolt but I suspect twisting would be involved.

It is a PIA for sure. Get a Harley repair manual and download the Lehman LLS instructions. Make sure you get all the gaskets you will need. Depending on the mileage, you will probably want new seals too.

Make sure you have jack stands and a roll around floor jack. You can jack the trike up and place blocks under the frame.

Of course, you being in Australia makes it a little easier, everything is upside down there.

Curiosity from America: When you flush the toilet down there, does the water rotate clockwise or counterclockwise, or does it just sit still like it does in Detroit ?

Yes I am seeing exactly how much work is involved. Its going to be a mammoth task.

I have all the gear, and my brother being a mechanic, my mate being a fitter, and myself being a sparky.. we should be able to do it.

My fitter mate is saying about 20hrs work.. I don't think he would be far off it.

I can get all the body and accessories off in an hour now.

I have had the primary cover off the bike, and see how the compensator and clutch needs removing, then the primary case needs to come off to get to the belt drive. I am led to believe that the belt can then be pulled forward and over the transmission shaft.

The trike section.. I am thinking starting on the left wheel and moving inwards until I can reach the diff, meanwhile undoing all the swing arm pivot etc.

AHHH!!

If you move the rear diff forward and support from the right side after dropping the swingarm, it should be fairly simple. Getting all the supports in the right place first is important. You can slip the new belt over everything to the drive pulley, but not onto the pulley yet, while at the same time getting the belt into position of the front pulley. Once you get the front pulley belted up it is all down hill (up hill in Australia) from there. Good luck.ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png