how much

May 20, 2010
winchester, indiana
oil does your 103 or 110ci motor use in between changes? just bought this trike fri. it's showing a quart low in less than 500 miles. i want to give stealership benefit of the dought but. i can't say one way or the other because this time today was the first i checked it. my 1200 shovel, 90 ultra, 92 softtail didn't use that much in between changes? i don't know anything about twin cam motors. help!!!

Homer: you should'nt be going through that much oil, are you showing signs of leakage? You have to remember, your oil mark will show lower on the Trike as opposed to a 2 wheeler since you would've checked the oil level with the 2 wheeler on it's side, and straight level with the trike. What I did when I first changed over to the trike was to mark my dipstick where the new full level was, it is lower then 2 wheelers. I hope this helps, let me know your findings.....tis

I have a 103 motor that I have put 25k on and have never added oil between changes. I believe you purchased a new HD factory trike correct? If so the dipstick has marking on one of the 2 sides that is for the trike. Look on both sides to see if it shows correct on one side.

The clue here is...it's the first time you checked it. It may have left the stealership that way or it may be the "mark on both sides of the dipstick" thing already mentioned.

On a well-worn TC, the most you should expect is a few ounces of loss through vaporization after a long hot trip. My TC is pushing 40K and on a 3-4,000 mile run, I may lose 1/2 quart.

the dip stick is marked only on one side. top half is for kickstand, bottom half is for upright. checked it this morning to see what the difference would be hot and cold. cold is a little higher, but the book says check at operating temp.. i'm hopeing they just didn't get it full. i'll keep an eye on it until i get the first 1000mi. thanks

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png