sealing ignition system

Fowler

900+ Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Moneta VA
Washed the trike this weekend. After I did the trike started misfiring.
It runs fine in the rain though
It dried up and ran fine after

So I guess my choices are never was my trike or figure out how to seal the ignition.
When I was a kid we used to seal our dirt bikes with a Silicone spray
I have heard that using the rubber boots is not good as it traps in the moisture

What do people do now to seal them?

Washed the trike this weekend. After I did the trike started misfiring.
It runs fine in the rain though
It dried up and ran fine after

So I guess my choices are never was my trike or figure out how to seal the ignition.
When I was a kid we used to seal our dirt bikes with a Silicone spray
I have heard that using the rubber boots is not good as it traps in the moisture

What do people do now to seal them?

Every now and then spray the wires and distributor cap with Wd40.. Or you can get at any auto store dry wire spray.. Used it on my Dune Buggy ....

Every now and then spray the wires and distributor cap with Wd40.. Or you can get at any auto store dry wire spray.. Used it on my Dune Buggy ....

Yep, WD40 to disperse the water first then a sealant like (http://www.gunk.ca/CAT_M406C.asp). Have always trusted Gunk products.

Silicone products i would stay away from, they are messy and the damn stuff travels liker cow shit if you get it on your hands. You may well need to touch the leads later.

Depending on how your engine is set up, you could wrap the dist & coil with Reynolds wrap, or equivalent prior, to washing.
I also try to avoid directly spraying the ignition components with water when hosing off my ride.
After washing and thorough drying with my leaf blower, I also use Liquid Wrench brand silicone spray sparingly on all plug boots, and wire terminals after each wash.
A few careful steps in the washing process should help you...ThumbUp

Well if the spark is leaking thru the wire then u need new wires. A cap thats wet inside doesn't usually go away on its own. You'd havve 2 remove it and dry it. Least thats been my experience.

Well if the spark is leaking thru the wire then u need new wire

I do have old spark plug wire on the trike. They seem to be working fine but are old and nasty looking
I purchased a new set a while ago and never put them on.
I guess its time to do that

Yep, WD40 to disperse the water first then a sealant like (http://www.gunk.ca/CAT_M406C.asp). Have always trusted Gunk products.

Silicone products i would stay away from, they are messy and the damn stuff travels liker cow shit if you get it on your hands. You may well need to touch the leads later.

Yep, good stuff there.
Amazon has it fairly cheap if ya can't find it locally: http://www.amazon.com/M406-Acra-Sea...65231&sr=8-1&keywords=Acra-Seal+Plastic+Spray

I do have old spark plug wire on the trike. They seem to be working fine but are old and nasty looking
I purchased a new set a while ago and never put them on.
I guess its time to do that

Yes, I would change the wires just so one or more don't leave ya seriously misfiring somewhere along the road. :p

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png