Tire replacement.

520fd

550+ Posts
Aug 9, 2010
Davenport, Iowa USA
I have a 2001 Goldwing with an Tow-Pac Insta-trike. I was wandering if I had to remove the trike portion to replace the rear tire. I'm replacing then with Dunlop Elite 3's. Stock sizes. Thanks Jerry.

Jerry,

If you have a full table lift with the cutout for the rear tire, you can probably put the bike up on the lift and on the center stand with the Tow Pac conversion still on, and then drop the rear tire thru the hole in the lift, but it's going to be a bear to get to the lug nuts and get enough leverage to drop and then lift the tire into place...

Otherwise, you'll have to remove the Tow Pac kit as it will be impossible to slide the tire out thru the rear, because of the Tow Pac sub-frame...

I personally use the "lay the bike over" method for changing tires - much easier when your running darkside with larger tires... The Tow Pac comes off so fast, it's just easier to do it that way for me because I have to partially disassemble the Tow Pac sub-frame on the left rear of the bike and pry it out of the way to get the car tire on the bike...

I sometimes lift the entire trike assembly on my 23 year old Handy Lift for trike maintenance and cleaning... It's easier than this "ol boy" bending over or being on my knees, as my left knee does not cooperate when weight is put on it like kneeling...

When changing tires, I simply lay the bike over on it's right side on some carpet pads and change the rear tire as seen in the photo below... My Tow Pac comes off in about 10 minutes and reinstall in the same amount of time... Alignment holds true if you follow the same tightening sequence all the time... For me that is the receiver first, then left rear bolt, then right rear bolt...

Les

rsz_1dscn0134.jpg

rsz_dscn1842.jpg

rsz_dscn1199.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png