Progressive Monotubes used with rake install?

buckflat6

5+ Posts
Feb 20, 2016
Cordova, TN USA
I have monotubes in my Gl1800 and would like to use them with a rake kit I am installing. I know how to machine the parts to fit but have been unable to find any info on the internal construction of the aluminum screw in cap area. Don't want to make this conversion if am going to cut into the gas charged area.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

If the Progressive monotubes don't require a different fork cap than OEM, all you should need to do is buy a extended fork cap and install to compensate for the rake.

Talk to Progressive to be sure and to get good info on whether the monotubes work correctly on a raked fork.

BTW, I have a 2 1/2" extension on my 6 degree rake to bring front end back correct height on my Roadsmith kit. YMMV.

You need to call Progressive to find out for sure.
Having said that, I contacted them when the mono-tubes was 1st introduced. After some time and several conversations, I was told they would not be "making" mono-tubes for trikes with rake kits. I was also told, if the caps were changed, that would void any warranty.
However, there seems to be an increasing number of trike owners that are installing the mono-tubes.
Maybe Progressive will change their tune if enough of us contact them!

I do not recommend using the fork extensions with monotubes. ferg is correct that the monotubes alone will level the front end, so fork extensions with monotubes aren't needed.

Thanks for the info and suggestions. Will try forks without extensions first. I did not try to remove the Progressive fork caps that seemed to be attached to the monotubes. If I could remove the existing caps on the monotubes there would be not problem fitting them into the extensions.

Will just have to work through this one.

Buck

I have yet to get my wing back with the Razor kit. As soon as I do I will know if I need extensions. I probably won't since the Monotubes are higher to begin with, the Razor doesn't lengthen the wheelbase and the rake is only 4 degrees.

If you need them added just PM for the Monotube thread size that I got from Progressive. The ones the have are also put on with Red Loctite, so a 20 second shot of heat from a propane torch will be required to release it.

I have yet to get my wing back with the Razor kit. As soon as I do I will know if I need extensions. I probably won't since the Monotubes are higher to begin with, the Razor doesn't lengthen the wheelbase and the rake is only 4 degrees.

If you need them added just PM for the Monotube thread size that I got from Progressive. The ones the have are also put on with Red Loctite, so a 20 second shot of heat from a propane torch will be required to release it.

You will not need the extensions.

I want to or need to change the front suspension on my trike.I am not sure what to do.I was 1st thinking of progressive springs to raise the front and take some bounce or movement out of the front.I see some are doing the monotubes.How is that working on the trikes? Also how about a fork brace?

I want to or need to change the front suspension on my trike.I am not sure what to do.I was 1st thinking of progressive springs to raise the front and take some bounce or movement out of the front.I see some are doing the monotubes.How is that working on the trikes? Also how about a fork brace?

Your buddy who is painting your trike can hook you up with a rake kit and fork extensions. Id go with that before you change the springs, you might not like the stiffer ride.

Your buddy who is painting your trike can hook you up with a rake kit and fork extensions. Id go with that before you change the springs, you might not like the stiffer ride.
I think you got me confused with someone else.I have your 6 deg rake kit installed ,I think the front is a little low and have a little more movement than I like,but it does ride good.I also have more push or maybe it's flex in the corners than I like.Maybe I need heavier wt fork oil? I have 5 wt in it now.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png