New member Eleva, WI with bad luck Need advice!

I purchased a 2016 Tri Glide recently after breaking my leg and ankle in 3 places fighting a house fire in early January. (I'm a volunteer firefighter) I own 3 other Harleys but knowing it will be a long recovery and likely weakness in that leg my wife insisted we get a trike. The dealer was storing the trike and was supposed to deliver it last Saturday. I requested they install Harleys clear paint protection Part Number 83989-10A. a day before the scheduled delivery they called and said they had issues with air bubbles and would like to order a replacement kit and attempt the install again.

After some discussion I opted to just have them send me the replacement kit and deliver the trike. So Saturday the big day ,we waited for the dealer to arrive at the scheduled delivery time. We waited and then the phone rings. It's the dealer and there was a problem.

They attempted to remove the film they applied and found that wherever there was an air bubble had stained the paint and they were unable to remove the stains. Dealer said they would have to call Harley on Monday and find out weather to repaint or replace both rear fenders, trunk, and panels. It was Wednesday before I finally got the answer. They are repainting all the parts. I am very concerned about this seeing the trike only has 1 mile and I've never taken possession of the trike. I contacted Harley customer care with my concerns and they said a repaint is the most common repair due to the long wait required if they were to order replacement parts. I was told anywhere from 12 to 16 weeks for new parts vs. a week and a half for a repaint.

My question to the group is what would you do? Would you accept a brand new trike that has been repainted or demand a different trike? No way I am willing to wait 16 weeks for new panels. The title and registration was all done late January. The dealer is covering the cost of repairs but have not made any compensation offers or discounts for their mistake. If you are familiar with the cost of these trikes what should I do? Thanks

Personally, I think it couldn't hurt to ask for discounts. At the very least, get, in writing, guarantee's about the paint for a couple of years.... And maybe a couple T-shirts.
If you didn't get extended warranty, maybe bargain for that. Either way, get it.

If it were a car I definitely would not want a repaint because the paint is baked on at the factory,but I'm not sure about motorcycles. I probably still would want a different trike! The only kicker could be your states registration laws. Anyway good luck! Sounds like you're definitely overdue for a change of luck!:xzqxz:

It all depends on the paint job you get. Most dealers have a good shop if not their own a local body shop to do their painting. I would also request a warranty on the parts painted. Your dealer shoud offer you that without you asking.

Re-repaint

I maybe wrong, but I seriously disagree - did you ACTUALLY take delivery of the trike? It appears NOT. You did not request that they remove the ATTEMPTED proctective film..further, if the dealer has a problem with the state DMV, THAN THAT IS their PROBLEM.

Request a 'new' TRIKE.....
Just MY opinion!
:xzqxz:

Repaint is OK, if whomever does it is good!
My concern would be, if the 1st attempt at the film install went bad, as did trying to remove it, I would not want another attempt by someone that may not know proper procedures,
Having said that, I vote for a new trike and finding someone that knows what they're doing to install the film.

Another option to think about:
Take the trike as is, with the understanding the dealer will replace all affected parts when new ones are available.
Also, if you have any trike conversion installers near you, I'm betting they have the experience for the film install and have a good paint shop that does the trike bodies.

Another thought is, if the dealer has access to another trike, same paint color, ask him to switch the affected parts and he can wait for the replacements from HD!

Hi

Wow. Sorry for all your trouble. I would request a new trike. We pay too much for them to accept delivery of one that's been damaged even if it has been repaired.

Good luck. I hope you get this worked out to your satisfaction.

the bike is black with white pinstripe. In talking to 3 other Harley dealers all agreed it is a brand new trike and I have every right to refuse a repaint. all 3 dealers said if they had the same situation at their dealership they would replace with new parts. Based on that I called and said a repaint was unacceptable and I would not accept the trike with a repaint. Dealer gave me a stearn "ok" and they will call into Harley Tuesday morning. So now to wait and see if they order parts or what. I think I will also call into Harley customer care again Monday and try to accelerate action. Almost 70 degrees here today and I want my trike. Thanks for the input and I will update any info I get.

I was born and raised in Wisconsin, and that state has the best and most strict consumer rights laws in the country. I would never take delivery on a less than perfect unit. The chance of a good repaint is quite rare and I don't believe that are going to repaint the entire bike. With this said, there could be color differences in the old and new paint. Talk to the consumer affairs division of the Department of Agriculture. They handle the consumer complaints for the state of Wisconsin. The Attorney Generals office will refer you to them if you contact them first.
Good luck,
:)

Last edited:
welcome aboard look the bike over if you can not tell it was repainted then ask for a break on the price and have at it. You would really be surprised how much repair is done a new vehicles that the buyer does not know about.

Welcome to TT!

You will find that repainting is very common in the auto industry . Not at all uncommon for a new car/truck to be slightly damaged in transport.

Welcome to the Gang. I would think you could have new from the factory panels in less than 2 weeks. Same model year they just pull them off the line. Last year when my tour pak cracked, it was replaced in less than three weeks. The key is same model year.

Looking at the situation in a sequential order:

Trike was purchased, delivered, and registered in January.

OWNER of the bike had the dealer store it for a couple months then decided to have dealer do some modifications prior to delivery from storage.

Dealer apparently screwed the pooch during the modification process.
(hate it when that happens but it does from time to time)

Dealer apparently accepted responsibility for mistakes and offered the owner a choice of corrective measures.

My question: Why the hue and cry to nail the dealer? This situation is no different than if the owner had ridden the Trike for a couple months and then taken it in for the modifications (except for mileage on the clock) and had the job botched.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Did they say what caused the situation? ie paint issue or the film and its application? This answers to these questions would help in the decision best for you.
When you get the situation resolved give us call we may be able to help you out.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png