Oil Filter Relocation & Dual-Cool Oil Cooler

Well , I must be dumber than I look. Can't get the bolts for the passenger floorboard out. Split one socket trying , any tricks?

I had to use heavy wall socket and a long breaker bar. Evidently the factory installed them with a serious dose of threadlocker! It was a struggle for the first few turns, then it got progressively easier. the last1/2 dozen turns spun out by hand. If I was to do it again, I would consider an impact wrench.

I had to use heavy wall socket and a long breaker bar. Evidently the factory installed them with a serious dose of threadlocker! It was a struggle for the first few turns, then it got progressively easier. the last1/2 dozen turns spun out by hand. If I was to do it again, I would consider an impact wrench.

I had the same experience.

Well , I must be dumber than I look. Can't get the bolts for the passenger floorboard out. Split one socket trying , any tricks?

The factory, or a tech at a dealership, may have over-tightened them, or used excessive thread-locker. Specs are 55-65 ft. lbs., so that is not really high.

It is an oddball bolt, with a smaller than normal hex head for the size thread it is. It is also a shallow hex head, so make sure your heavy socket is on totally flush and use a long arm ratchet or breaker bar. Do Not use heat. There is plastic and rubber too close.

You might have some joy if you put a socket on the bolt and give it a sharp rap.

If you have not removed the passenger floorboard, you definitely want to get that out of the way for easy access.

If you try the above and still are having a problem, give us a call or email with your phone number.

Kevin

I am waiting for someone to offer up the tricks. I installed the driver floorboard extensions on the right side of my Freewheeler, but I can't get the bolts out on the left side.

When one of mine finally broke loose on the gear shift side, I durn near tore a couple of knuckles off. It hurt. Bad.

Finally got the top bolt out. Once I got it to move I just kept going back and forth. Seems like maybe the friction created loosened it up a bit. Was still a bear to turn. Bottom bolt won't budge, gonna play with it today maybe try an impact wrench. Sure hope the rest of it goes smoother. Thanks all for your ideas on this, was very helpful

i wimped out

Finally got the top bolt out. Once I got it to move I just kept going back and forth. Seems like maybe the friction created loosened it up a bit. Was still a bear to turn. Bottom bolt won't budge, gonna play with it today maybe try an impact wrench. Sure hope the rest of it goes smoother. Thanks all for your ideas on this, was very helpful
After standing on the end of the wrench with my oversized frame I had dealer do the install

2 of 3

Today while riding I had the bright idea that maybe I could move the bolts while the trike was hot so I pulled in, put on gloves and loosened 2 of the 3 with an 8" wrench, extension and socket. The 3rd one will not budge so I guess I will have to come up with a better idea.

Wow, that is a little crazy. I didn't have any issues taking the bolts out. When you get everything loose, trying cleaning up the threads before reinstalling. Jim

After the thread cleaning, I use never size and the lock washer method on all aluminum stuff and even steel. Oxidation is not user friendly.

After the thread cleaning, I use never size and the lock washer method on all aluminum stuff and even steel. Oxidation is not user friendly.

Just make sure the Never [Anti] seize is not copper based, If it is it will oxidize Aluminum..Especially if theres any contact with moisture... I ruined a set of Aluminum wheels on a 05 Dodge i had...

Have a couple of new pictures-

Here is one with a disposable filter on it (stock OEM, K&N, etc. they all fit fine)-

Standard%20Filter%20CnC%20Oil%20Filter%20Relo.jpg

Here is a picture and comment that we received today from Brent.

You can see he customized it a bit with his own plumbing.

Brent%20Thompson%2015%20degree%20drop_zps7zwlhy78.jpg

"Made a little change in the plumbing. It dropped the temp. about 15 degrees."

Kevin

i would assume that running boards won't fit with this set up?

thx

i would assume that running boards won't fit with this set up?

thx

Depends on which running boards you're looking at, and/or if you're willing to do some modification...or, like Clint mentioned, we will have a universal oil filter relocation soon. It will mount off the front downtube.

Kevin

It's been close to a year since we introduced these. (wow, time flies faster and faster the older I get!)

Thank you to everyone that has installed them. We truly appreciate your business and we hope you are thoroughly enjoying the benefits. :clapping:

For those looking to install an oil filter relo off the front downtube, they can be seen at this LINK.

We now have a ton of Customers running both this style and the downtube style on their two-wheelers also....But it All Started with the Trikes! :)

Kevin

Kevin, do you have the Combo Oil Filter Relocation & Dual-Cool Oil Cooler Package for a Dyna? I have an 08 FatBob that I put a Frankenstein Trike kit on that I would love to cool down.

Kevin, do you have the Combo Oil Filter Relocation & Dual-Cool Oil Cooler Package for a Dyna? I have an 08 FatBob that I put a Frankenstein Trike kit on that I would love to cool down.

We don't have a pre-packaged combo, but you can see the oil coolers at this link-

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Dyna_c136.htm

And the Oil Filter Relo's at this link-

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/CnC...tster-Dyna-Softail-Touring-DK-CNC-OFR-UNI.htm

Once you decide which oil cooler you want, then call or email the shop, let them know you are from Trike Talk, and they will make you a special package price for the two of them.

Kevin

oil filter relocation

I installed the oil filter relocation kit on my '16 TG yesterday. Good, clean installation and it should be a big improvement for future oil changes. Easy to do laying on the floor, but a heated garage did make it that much better in Illinois in Jan.

oil filter

It's been close to a year since we introduced these. (wow, time flies faster and faster the older I get!)

Thank you to everyone that has installed them. We truly appreciate your business and we hope you are thoroughly enjoying the benefits. :clapping:

For those looking to install an oil filter relo off the front downtube, they can be seen at this LINK.

We now have a ton of Customers running both this style and the downtube style on their two-wheelers also....But it All Started with the Trikes! :)

Kevin
love this filter relocater. do you just replace the filter with the adapter and leave the oil cooler hooked up as stock

love this filter relocater. do you just replace the filter with the adapter and leave the oil cooler hooked up as stock

Yes, if you have a '13 or earlier that comes with a factory oil cooler, then you do just that.

Remove filter from current location, and put the adapter in its' place. The install the oil filter relo and put the filter there.

You do not touch anything with your factory oil cooler.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png