Voyager Trike Kit Question Please help

Jun 11, 2010
wv
:confused:
Re: Voyager Kits

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, Im new here and hope someone can steer me in the right direction no pun intended. I just had a Voyager kit installed on my 1988 Kawasaki Voyager, 1300, Like the Goldwings. Looks great.My question is, we set it at 1/2 inch preload. When me and my wife are on it, probably little over 400 some odd pounds. Steering it through a curve is a BEAST. I havent really had it in a curve over 35-40 mph because it is so hard to steer, feels like I am going to over shoot the curve. I have road for years. THere is no lean, it is stiff like I would think a trike should be, But it is a Beast to steer, I couldnt imagine riding more than a hour or two, I would be down for days recouping from muscle strain. I have the compressor on my bike, any suggestions on what I should set the front and back levels to, or anything else. I sure hope you all have the answers for me. Its really quite dis heartning right now. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

BRian

Have about 600 miles on my Voyager kit so far, and it was a learning experience. Your bike will handle similarly to a trike, and there is a sticky in the general forum here with lots of good info from experienced riders that I found helpful. As for what worked for me:
Tried small changes to air pressures until happy - ended up with a bit less in the shocks and tires. The Voyager makes the ride a bit rough, so it helps soften the effect.
Learned not to lean into turns (very hard to do) - keep feet flat on floorboards or pegs and butt square on seat for leverage in turns.
Good info on in the sticky about setting up for a curve, then powering through it. Really does work, although I thought it would not at first.
Practiced riding for about 300 miles by myself and then took the wife for a ride. It was like learning over again, with the wife on back the ride changed by moving the center of gravity more to the rear, so some more practice was in order.
The hardest manuever for me is a low speed turn from an intersection, when the road incline changes - moving down hill, turning onto a road that is an immediate uphill. A little practice and you will find the way through these.

A little story may be in order - long time ago my father-in-law brought his enormous Troy-Bilt tiller for me to use. I worked my butt off muscling and wrestling that thing around. He took over and steered it with a couple of fingers, letting the machine do the work and just guiding it. First time I drove the Ultra Classic with the Voyager kit, same thing - death grip, working hard, bumpy, what did I get myself into? Your bike will ride differently with the Voyager kit. Found that when I stopped fighting it and learned the control points for curves, etc. the ride is enjoyable again!

Good luck with your convertible kit.
Denny

Last edited:
Since your bike has front and rear air; the front should have 5-10lbs and the rear shocks to almost maximum. Use normal tire pressure both front and rear.
Make sure that the rear air shocks are at 80% capacity. 20lbs in the Voyager tires.

Should I look into the rake also? or will this help it enough? Also, where I am new to the trike thing, what and how does a rake kit help?

thanks again.

Should I look into the rake also? or will this help it enough? Also, where I am new to the trike thing, what and how does a rake kit help?

thanks again.

It changes the trail dimension of the fork system, making it feel like the bike has power steering, so to speak. Useful for trikes or Voyager type systems only. Not to be done if you are going to remove a Voyager type system and ride as a 2 wheeler again!

Rake and trail explained:
http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/rake_and_trail.htm

kvfd35. Have you worked with the set up instructions I posted? Proper installation is the key to a Voyager handling correctly. I have a GL-1500 and I do not have raked triple trees, but yet I can steer and turn it as easily as someone with the rake kit on their trike. There are three wheels in the rear which offers more resistance when turning.

trike lady Re: Voyager Trike Kit Question Please help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since your bike has front and rear air; the front should have 5-10lbs and the rear shocks to almost maximum. Use normal tire pressure both front and rear.
Make sure that the rear air shocks are at 80% capacity. 20lbs in the Voyager tires

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png