need engine upgrades opinions.

Mar 25, 2014
North Platte,Ne.
I have recently purchased a 2016 tri glide H.D.

Thinking on adding a bore kit to raise from 103 to 107 plus the slightly hotter cam & whatever else I need to do for this conversion to REALLY work. I realize I will probably have to do some further fuel controlling maps & maybe dyno tuning work.

I added a larger, higher flow, air filter & installed Vance & Hines headers & pipes to get rid of the catalytic converters & let this thing breathe and had it remapped too, though not dynoed.

Have right at 500 miles on it so far & can't say as I'm impressed with the
performance. Hoping with full break in it will improve. Possibly will have to
Dynotune it to get peak performance & gas mileage. (The 32-36 mpg I get now pretty much sucks big time. IMHO

So have any of you folks done this type of thing, and how well did that turn out versus expenditure? Did the Dyno work add any fuel mileage or was it a waste of money?

If you do a good Stage I upgrade (they are NOT all the same) you can get some pretty good power out of your 103.

HF%20Air%20Cleaner%20Myth%20Busted.jpg

Part of getting good power and good MPG is keeping the heat down. When they get hot (whether a 103 or 107) they get sluggish...power and MPG drop.

Yes, I know the heads are liquid cooled, but the rest of the engine actually gets hotter on the Twin-Cooled 103's than on the air cooled only 103's.

With a 107 and hotter cams it will just exacerbate the heat issue.

With some low $ (relatively speaking) spent on cooling it down, and the installation of a good Stage I Upgrade, you might be pleasantly surprised at the power.

Regarding MPG, a great dyno tune operator will help there, but I've just used the auto-tune feature on the Power Vision and get 36-38 mpg with regular riding.

LINK to some Good Stage I Packages

There is no one thing you can do to get them cooled down from their "they all run that hot, they're designed for it" state.

However, there are a few things that make a pretty significant difference-

Cooling fans...there are a couple of companies that make these- Love Jugs and Wards

Tank Lift.... See HERE

Oil Cooler & Filter Relo.... See HERE

I've had on my to do list for quite a while to do a write up on what all can be done to cool down a Twin Cam. I intend on getting that written up and posted in the next few weeks.

Kevin

Oh boy.... how deep are your pockets and what is your definition of performance?

Everybody is different, 2012 Tri Glide. So, with that thought in mind.... right out of the gate, ( off showroom floor) I had exhaust, air cleaner, SERT and 255 cams installed.

After some miles, (1800) I still wasn't happy. So I had the motor pulled and a 120R installed. Too much high end speed and not enough tq on low end.

So finally I had the cams changed in the 120R to S&S 585's. Luv it. Haven't changed anything on the motor since.

But did have to add Wards fans and Ultra fan oil cooler.

My advice is to do a lot of research and find a good tuner.

Many people helped me on this site with my journey.

Oh boy.... how deep are your pockets and what is your definition of performance? Everybody is different, 2012 Tri Glide. So, with that thought in mind.... right out of the gate, ( off showroom floor) I had exhaust, air cleaner, SERT and 255 cams installed. After some miles, (1800) I still wasn't happy. So I had the motor pulled and a 120R installed. Too much high end speed and not enough tq on low end. So finally I had the cams changed in the 120R to S&S 585's. Luv it. Haven't changed anything on the motor since. But did have to add Wards fans and Ultra fan oil cooler. My advice is to do a lot of research and find a good tuner. Many people helped me on this site with my journey.

:Agree: 100% regarding your changes to the 120r, as I also installed the 120r in my 2013 Trike and did not like the street manners at all. So I changed several things - i.e. Cams (t-man 577), valve springs (went to the beehive springs as OEM's were much to strong for the valve train - in my opinion), push rods (went with Smith Adjustable), valve guides (changed to brass), and had my heads cc'd.

Love the changes and street manners now!!

Roger

How fast do you want to go, and is 2 to 4 MPG worth a couple of grand to achieve???

When I got too old for the Ducati and started worrying about balancing it on the back wheel at 50mph I got an Ultra, then a trike. I know my Freewheeler isn't the fastest bike/trike in the crowd, I've just become comfortable cruising.

Wife and I have owned 4 bone stock Harley Trikes. Saved several grand on 'upgrades' we didn't do, that we spend touring.

Enjoy :D

I'd like to go just as fast as I'd like to, and have just as much power as I'd like. Now u ask how much is too much? That can only be answered by u. So far in my short life span of seventy plus years I've never had too much power on any thing I ride. Now back to real life, I like to just put along on the super slab about seventy. Just try to stay out of the speed freeks way and enjoy life, whats left of it. Not trying to ruffle feathers just having fun. God Bless and if u r a Vet thanks for your service, welcome home.
Vietnam Vet 1966 - 1967 US Army Home of the 25th
Isn't America a great place to live? ThumbUp ThumbUp ThumbUp ThumbUp

Some people don't want to go fast per-say ; They just like to get to as ''Fast'' as they like to go , Just do it As ''fast'' as they can.........

ie; Powering up an acceleration ramp to the speed limit and getting out of everyones way in the process without any drama... .....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png