heat deflectors

Jan 10, 2016
madera ca.
does any body here run without the heat deflectors that are mounted between the seat and tank? did a stage one upgrade and run an open air filter, the heat is a heck of a lot less now but wondering if I need them anymore. im thinking by taking them off. ill get a better airflow since I don't have the stock air cleaner football looking cover. had the same set up on my roadglide and it didn't have the deflectors either. opinions please, also by installing the deluxe tank lift kit, would I need them? better to keep them or not, that is the question. 2011 tri glide

Kevin at DK Customs did a lot of testing on that question. If I remember right, they do not effect engine temp if left on. I am sure he will chime in as soon as he wakes up. Have patients.:Coffee:

I added the deflectors to my Freewheeler. Also have the deluxe tank that Kevin sells. The deflectors work well in stop and go traffic. Tank lift allows allot more air to pass over the heads. It also dropped the amount of air that came up from the tank area at speed. Add the tank lift. Very doubtful that you will be disappointed. As for the mid deflectors, remove them and see. Good hot day sitting in traffic...

Interesting that this came up. I am working on a full report on how to cool down the Twin Cam Engine. (should be done this weekend or next week)

I just stopped for the evening and the last thing I was writing about before coming over here and looking at some posts was this very subject.

I will copy what I just wrote about it-

Remove the left side thigh protector. This will help the air flow very fast past the rear cylinder and out the left side...this is good for the engine, and will reduce the amount of felt hot air on the right side.

With the right side shield still in place, it acts like an air scoop pulling air into the space behind the cylinder...but with the left side removed, that air can now exit easily. With both installed, they are essentially two scoops that push air from both sides to collide and swirl, with no real good place for the air to exit.

I have done the same thing on both of my Tri-Glides with good results. It is not symmetrical looking, BUT, you can only see one side at a time, so it is unlikely most will notice you have a thigh protector on one side and not the other.

Doing this will cool the engine overall, so while riding & when coming to a stop you have a cooler engine than you would otherwise. However, if you are at a stop long, or in continuous stop & go, you will feel more heat on the left than the right.

On the Tank Lift, you will get more air flow over the engine (with or without the deflectors). It is good for a solid 10* drop in temps. Plus you can see that chrome better, clean it better, and many experience Less buffeting.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png