Service for differential on a Motor Trike conversion.

paid4c4

300+ Posts
Mar 28, 2016
Crestview Hills, KY, USA
I just purchased a 2006 GW w/Motor Trike Conversion with 22000 miles. I don't have any documentation regarding the Champion conversion. My question is how often does the differential need to be serviced? Can I use it as a jacking point for my floor jack? I've ordered a GW service manual but that won't provide information about the conversion. Thank You; Bill

Last edited:
In 2006, it was probably a Ford or Toyota rear end with shortened axel housings.
About the only thing you could do would be replace the gear lube.
Considering that many automobiles go 100,000 miles and never change the
gear lube, it might not even be necessary.
Contact CHAMPION and see what they have to say.

This is from the champion website from a publication dated 2010. I have a 2005 solid axle conversion:

Rear end lubrication.
Your differential comes filled with 1 quart of SAE 85W140 API GL-6 gear oil. You should not have to top-off the differential unless you experience axle seal or pinion seal leaks. Check the oil level every 10,000 miles, or sooner if you experience leaks, and refill as necessary. Do not fill higher than the fill-hole. Change the differential oil every 30,000 – 35,000 miles.

You first stated Motor Trike and the Champion. I assume you meant Champion.
I have a 2006 Champion S/A. It is a Toyota. Then in 2008, They switched to Suzuki. Then, I believe they went back to Toyota .
I have 60,000 miles on mine and change rear lube last year for the first time.

I tried to correct my original thread or delete it but was unable to. After I get into researching my trike I discovered I do not have a Champion conversion but a Motor Trike conversion. Thanks to members of the forum I've been able to download a service manual for my Motor Trike. I appreciate everyone's assistance.
Bill

I just purchased a 2006 GW w/Motor Trike Conversion with 22000 miles. I don't have any documentation regarding the Champion conversion. My question is how often does the differential need to be serviced? Can I use it as a jacking point for my floor jack? I've ordered a GW service manual but that won't provide information about the conversion. Thank You; Bill

Mine is a Champion IRS. Here is what is called for on the Champion. It is gl-6 spec oil. I found it on eBay Torko GRO. (Gear Racin oil). Not Cheap

1. CHAMPION TRIKES

TRIKE CONVERSION KIT

HONDA GOLD WING

GL1800 Independent Suspension

Champion Sidecars

(800) 875 0949

www.championtrikes.com

Owner's Maintenance Notes
    1. Tire Pressure and Rotation:

Keep the nominal tire pressure at about 23-27psig. It is not necessary to periodically rotate the trike tires unless you experience unusual tire wear.
    2. Bearing Lubrication.

Your Swing Arm and wheel bearings are sealed and do not require greasing. However, should you experience unusual wheel bearing noise you should take your trike to a Champion Trike Dealer or to your motorcycle mechanic for a checkup.
    3. Body Lubrication.

There are no grease fittings on the trike body and no required body lubrication points.
    4. Rear end lubrication.

Your differential comes filled with SAE 85W140 API GL-6 gear oil. You should not have to top-off the differential unless you experience axle seal or pinion seal leaks.

If you want to check the oil level, do so by removing the fill plug on the top of the differential housing (Remove seat) and by using a suitable measuring device, the oil level should measure to 3 1/4" inches from the bottom of the differential housing. Refill as necessary.

Change the differential oil every 30,000 - 35,000 miles by draining it and refill with 2 quarts of above gear oil.
    5. Brakes.

Check your front and rear brake system fluid levels every 3,000 miles and top-off as necessary. Inspect brake pads every 10,000 miles and replace as necessary. Rear brake pads are Volkswagen Part # D101P.
    6. Drive Train.

I tried to correct my original thread or delete it but was unable to. After I get into researching my trike I discovered I do not have a Champion conversion but a Motor Trike conversion. Thanks to members of the forum I've been able to download a service manual for my Motor Trike. I appreciate everyone's assistance.

Bill

Thread title corrected.

I have a Roadsmith TRIKE,

with approx 10,000 miles on it, since converting

What should I be doing ??

I lube the universal joints every year (and of course oil ~n~ filter)

Ronnie

4/18/24

Ronnie, you are doing a good job IMO of servicing your Trike

Keep a good record of all services and you are good to go for the season

Best of luck as you ride miles of smiles;)

Bill

You're lucky ... getting parts for a Champion is extreemly challenging, and because of that, many shops won't work on them. However, MotorTrike is a trike company that very much supports their product and shops are able get parts quickly.

FYI ... in the Owner's Manual, be sure to follow their Maintanence Schedule.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png