New member considering trike. What are the pros and cons?

Hi Guys

New member here considering a 2015 HD trike. Coming from an Ultra Limited. Would do you guys like and dislike about your HD trikes and are you coming off 2 wheels?

I appreciate your input.

Pat

My suggestion is to ride one for awhile and see if the HD trike is for you or a conversion with IRS suspension may be more to your liking? Or another brand of trike. Lots to choose from.

I couldn't stand the HD suspension is one of my peeves and lack of quality in other areas in the trike.

That is just me.

Either way I love riding trikes.:D

Good Luck! ThumbUp

My main reason for getting a trike... Is i can and do ride all winter...ThumbUp
Rain' Snow' Cold or Gravel/Sand on the road it Don't matter i ride....... I might get wet or cold or sand blasted a little 'But i ain't gonna fall over...
Every year i put away my Two wheelers most of the winter, I still haven't taken out my Gunner since i put it in the back of my garage last Nov...

Hi Guys

New member here considering a 2015 HD trike. Coming from an Ultra Limited. Would do you guys like and dislike about your HD trikes and are you coming off 2 wheels?

I appreciate your input.

Pat

Why are you thinking about a trike? How long have you been riding two wheelers? Many bike riders look down on trikes and consider them a step down. Yeah I know,it's an ego thing. Funny thing though is once they realize how much fun trikes can be,most choose to stay on three wheels. I rode bikes for 42yrs and trikes for the last 8yrs. My only regret is it took me so long to switch.

Trikes are the New Cool.

Welcome aboard. Trikes are cool. More and more of us have gone to them. The HD trike is a good trike, There are better conversions if that is what you like. The factory trike has many benefits like no problem getting it worked on. Warranty there and extended available. I love my 13. I have well over 100k riding trikes 30k on the 13. Suggest a demo ride and maybe even a rental so you get a good feel for it. The tires will be over inflated because the dealer does what HD says.

they ride real nice at 22 to 24 in the rear and 38 or so in the front. Good luck. Search the forum lots of opinions all ready given.

A Different Kind of Ride

Trikes are different but good. I had a medical issue and rode a Piaggio MP3 for a while, first a 250 and later a 500. Nice, but too small to be enjoyable on the freeway. I started testing out trikes in '14, bought a Tri-Glide late last year. I don't even sweat the bumpy ride, I just ride and have fun. Took a little getting used to. Tried a Can-Am, but it wasn't my thing, lots of storage though. Rode a Honda, but didn't much care for the after-market factor. Also, my local honda dealer sucked. I went in dressed like a bum, per my usual, and was ignored.

Walked across to the HD dealer and they didn't care, looking like a bum may have been a plus there, lol. The Honda and the Can-Am both had better features, really, but the HD was, by God, a Harley! Never had one before. I did know, though, I could get parts and service anywhere (saw a Tri-Glide in Barcelona.) Can-Am's resale value seems to drop sharply. Tried one more time to email the Honda guy and gave up when they would respond and bought the TG. Took me a hundred miles or so to get used to the push-pull of the handlebars and working the clutch with my formally screwed up left foot/toe, but I managed quite well. I'm now extending the length of my rides up to Louisville and back (150 miles RT). But, I ramble. You'll love it.

First Off, Welcome to the Gang.

There is a learning curve to a trike. I recently went back to two (not cause I didn't Love the trike). I worried the learning curve would be as steep as on the trike, but 40+ years on 2, it was like riding a bike (pun intended.

I think most people experience a learning curve when going to three, but after about 200 miles, you kind of wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

I have no cons

I and my Bride don't even think about going back on two wheels, gravel elevated wrong intersections mean very little. She can gawk around turn look point what ever and I have not dropped the triglide yet. :Shrug: We stop to look anything she can buy anything with in reason and bring it home not pay shipping. ThumbUp Oh and did I mention comfort for her remember happy wife happy life. :AGGHH: ride safely fearless

Attachments

• DSC00185.JPG
    DSC00185.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 354
I bought my first motorcycle in 1967. In 2010 I bought a Harley Ultra Classic. Last year I had the Ultra Classic triked. Now I would not go back. The trike rides smoother and is lots more fun to ride. The wife and I both feel more relaxed and safer on the trike. I chose to have a Hannigan Transformer kit installed on mine over a tri glide. The trans former is longer, wider, larger trunk. and INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION. I am more visible on the larger machine.

I could have traded for a new tri glide for less than I spent triking the Ultra and adding some more goodies. All said and done once you get the hang of a trike you will not go back. I do recommend one with independent suspension.

My wife has MS and was not comfortable on curves. We went to a trike to keep her in the wind. I loved 2 wheels leaning into the curves you name it, did not want to go to a trike. I believed all my friends who told me the trike would not go around a curve, they were unstable on the highway.

After a short time we learned my friends did not have any idea what they were talking about. We have more fun each time we go out. My only regret is that did not do it sooner. Wife loves it and she wants to go out much more than we were on 2 wheels.

We have been on 2 wheels for over 25 years last few years of 2 wheels we only were riding about 5,000 miles a year, wife just was not up to more. We have a 2014 trike we got in October of 2013 and it had 17,700 miles on it when parked it for the winter. In 2015 we were not able to ride until July because of major health issues with my wife.

Trikes are way more fun that anyone thinks. Most people we have talked to on 3 wheels say they would not go back to 2 wheels. U turns, gravel, grass,rain not an issue and you can't drop them.:laugh:

Last edited:
Hi Guys

I appreciate your input.

Pat

Hi Pat!

Welcome to the forum!

What I like about my Tri-Glide:

It is a more relaxed ride.

Relatively little concern for wet roads, oil, sand, gravel, & little critters in the road. They don't present the danger that they do on 2 wheels.

On the Tri-Glide, folks in the cars and trucks see me more than when I'm on 2 wheels.

Can carry more stuff...whether it is a trip to the grocery store, a weekend trip, or up to Alaska and back.

Mary, my wife, can go much longer days without getting tired on the Tri-Glide.

They are a Very Different ride than on 2 wheels, and it is a Lot of fun!

What I don't like about my Tri-Glide:

It doesn't lean over in the curves.

I am fortunate. In addition to the Tri-Glide, I have a Sportster and a Softail. So the one downside of the Tri-Glide, for me, is I can jump on the Sporty or Softail to get my fix of leaning over in the curves.

Kevin

The only con for me is that my shoulders stay sore all riding season. I need to bite the bullet and get handlebars that are further swept back and wider than what I have. Mine are the Harley extended reach bars, but I'm betting the Klockwerks 2+2 are much better. If my arms were a little wider apart, I'd have more leverage in curves and turns.

Either that or I need to lift weights and stop being a wimp. :laugh:

Positives: Like Rhino2, I can now ride ALL winter...on 2 wheels I'd have to cage it when it snows. This year I rode trike through the white stuff (I've had trike out every day since Sept 2015). Able to ride without pain in my bad knees.

Negatives: there's no avoiding obstacles...on 2 wheels, if there is a pothole or turtle [SUP](long story)[/SUP] in the road, you can swerve around it. With one wheel in center, and 2 wheels sticking out, theres no avoiding it....you're either going to hit with front or one of the rear tires

My main reason for getting a trike... Is i can and do ride all winter...ThumbUp
Rain' Snow' Cold or Gravel/Sand on the road it Don't matter i ride....... I might get wet or cold or sand blasted a little 'But i ain't gonna fall over...
Every year i put away my Two wheelers most of the winter, I still haven't taken out my Gunner since i put it in the back of my garage last Nov...

Khrome Werks 2+2 Wide sweepers!!!!

DSC00124.JPG
The only con for me is that my shoulders stay sore all riding season. I need to bite the bullet and get handlebars that are further swept back and wider than what I have. Mine are the Harley extended reach bars, but I'm betting the Klockwerks 2+2 are much better. If my arms were a little wider apart, I'd have more leverage in curves and turns. These 2+2 wide sweepers are the ticket no shoulder or back pain for me.

These bars ended my back and shoulder pain. Not crazy expensive but I had to change Clutch cable that was all everything else was long enough on my "09" best mod I have done for comfort hands down. ThumbUpride safely fearless

freewheelersue

Hi Guys

I appreciate your input.

Pat
hi, cant help to much, just want to say, I have been on 2 wheels for 20 yrs, and ordered a 2016 freewheeler and will pick it up in June when were in MN. I know I will feel more confident on it. I will miss my 02 Indian,,,, I think,,,,,,and leaning into the corners, but when my husband needs for us to make a u turn, or we come to sand, I will have no concerns. I think I will love it. I think at 68 its time, just because. Good luck to you.

In 1974, I broke my legs when I dropped my beloved Panhaed chopper. A buddy lent me an old 1953 bone-stock Servicar until I healed. I fell in love! Although about a slow as a moped, it allowed me to keep riding. It was a hoot. Went on a New Years eve midnight poker run in snow bound up-state New York, among other off-beat adventures. I had to give it back after a year and actually traded a VW beetle for a 49 model a few years later. Not being able to keep up with my 2 wheeled friends, I rode 2 wheels for the next 40 years. I just bought a 2015 triglide (which is a bit like the starship Enterprise compared to the old 45's) and am sure it will also provide the same thrill.

I rode 2 wheeled Harleys for 47 years. I converted my Roadking to a trike 2 years ago and what I like about it is just about everything and I really can't think of anything I don't like. If I were to nit pick, I suppose I could list a few items. It's wider and so it takes up more space in the lane so you have to be more aware of where you are in the lane. The plus to it is that you are much more visible. I do like the stability. Gravel, wet grass, and things like that are not as much of a concern on 3 wheels. The whole ride is different on 3 wheels but it isn't any less enjoyable. It's like saying which is more thrilling, sky diving or bungee jumping? Surfing or snow boarding? Each is exciting and fun, but a little different. To me asking which is better or which I like more is like asking which side of the coin do you think is better. Another plus is that I can pack a whole lot more stuff on my trike when I travel and that tends to make the trip more enjoyable. I am more relaxed on the trike.

The only con for me is that my shoulders stay sore all riding season. I need to bite the bullet and get handlebars that are further swept back and wider than what I have. Mine are the Harley extended reach bars, but I'm betting the Klockwerks 2+2 are much better. If my arms were a little wider apart, I'd have more leverage in curves and turns.

In your case you might want to get with Bazooka and purchase the rake trees for a TRI. It adds a couple of more degrees of rake then the stock trees. This should free up the front tightness feel you are feeling. Stock is good for most people but if you are always sore then the trees should help.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png