Need help with Arizona law

Aug 3, 2009
Tucson Arizona
Ok, this is apparently a much harder question than it should be. I just completed the conversion from 2 wheels to 3. Coincidentally, the registration is due this month. Soooooooo, I called Arizona DMV to ask if I needed to change anything, do anything differently, etc. I talked to 9 different (idiots) people, and got 9 different answers! Any other Arizonans out there who can help?
Thank you!!!!
-Maria

i talked to a person from AZ last week She was driving a 4 wheel trike. She is a builder. she said even a 4 wheel is called a trike in AZ

Same plate for a real trike-The conversion is considered an accessory in the eyes of the licensing commission and all the insurance companies I have quized about coverage of my forthcoming conversion.
We have excise tax on plates in my state so, they are missing out on extra revenue by not taxing a trike it's true value! Shhhhh, don't tell 'em!

Maria, I just read your DMV manual on line and I believe your state treats the conversion to still be a motorcycle. I would think all you need to due is renew your motorcycle tag. According to what I read it still is a motorcycle in Arizona.

Just registered mine in Kansas. Told them I needed to register and license my bike. The clerk, who knows me, (it's a small town) said isn't this your new trike (?) and I asked if she had any tags to sell a trike. Of course she didn't have anything except a motorcycle tag, so I gave her the value of a '95goldwing, purchased a tag for it, and my conversion is listed on my insurance as an accessory.
I'm amazed that our legislatures have not figured out this revenue source.

Maria, I just read your DMV manual on line and I believe your state treats the conversion to still be a motorcycle. I would think all you need to due is renew your motorcycle tag. According to what I read it still is a motorcycle in Arizona.

That's how they looked at mine here in Ohio too!

Nevada has a clasification for trikes & call it a "trimobile", but they make it almost imossible to change the registration & title from motorcycle to trimobile. To read about the process in the DMV's rules, it seems simple enough -- 'till I went to the DMV office with the paperwork the rule book said I needed & was told something else completely different. I checked with our local HD dealer & they said the Triglides were titled & sold as motorcycles. SOooo -- I ended up renewing my motorcycle license because there was NO way to get the paperwork they wanted to make the change. IF & when I ever get that paper work, maybe I'll change it then -- or maybe not.

NM

Maria, this is how I read your state's manual too. Here in Mass, a motorcycle is defined as "3 wheels or less" with a saddle & handlebars (something about the engine cc, but I don't remember that part), so I knew I was registering as a motorcycle - all I gave them was the motorcycle paperwork. Just "for kicks", I asked the clerk what would happen if I converted my motorcycle to a trike....dumb would be a kind description! 40 minutes and 5 phone calls later, she STILL didn't know how to register a trike!! At that point, I had to go back to work so I recommended she read the manual where it said "a motorcycle is 3 wheels or less". ;)

Here in Conn. they don't know what a trike is. When I went to the State Capitol to try to change the testing law to allow a person to test on a trike I was asked question like ...How fast can a trike go? Can you ride it on the high way? Is it like an ATV ? I hope you are not talking about the little truck things I saw in Bermuda? Do they tip over easy? In Conn. It is a Motorcycle...and if i bought a stallion I would just bring the title that says motorcycle and reg. it as a Motortrike motorcycle.

What does it say on the title for the Stallion and the Can Am Spyder?

The" Certificate of Origin for a Vehicle" (which is supplied by TBMS to the dealer) says under "Body Type" "Motorcycle" for the Stallion. My Florida title says "Motorcycle".

All these states seem a little goofy. I just started looking at getting a trike recently in NY. Just found out it uses the same license plate as 2 wheeled bike. My insurance company only wanted the CC for quote also. Didn't seem to care about model. I do know that in NY they had (and may still have) a seperate trike license. However with motorcycle endorsment, you can ride either. With trike endorsment, only trike.An e-mail sent to my state DMV asking questions has not been answered yet.

Don't ask.....don't tell...just register it as a motorcycle. The VIN# describes it as a motorcycle and that's all they need to know. We pay personal property tax on our vehicles here in West Virginia every year. If I told them what it cost to convert my motorcycle to a trike my tax on the bike would double!!

Hi Maria,
I read the Arizona Manuel and from what I read your trike is treated the same as a bike. I also talked to someone at C and R trikes our main trike builder in Tucson and they say you don't have to do anything, just send it your regisratioin and your good to go.
The Capt.:yes:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png