'96 Dyna suitable for trike conversion?

Jan 15, 2013
Slidell, LA
I'd like input from riders who have converted a Dyna to a trike. I'm concerned about the extra stress being placed on the rubber mounted swing arm/engine/drivetrain. Has the additional load caused any problems on your conversion over the long term, and if so, any suggestions on fixes?

Bob

Several different companies have Dyna conversions but MotorTrike is the only one I'm familiar with. You'll find that they are fun to run around town on but I would be hitting the highway with one. You eliminate the swing are with the conversion so no issue there. I had a '96 FXLD that I gave some serious thoughts to converting to a trike. You're going to spend $15,000, twice what the bike is worth, just to buy the kit......then labor to install. AND you're going to put another big chunk of $$$$ just getting that Evo's power up to handle it. AND reverse. And triple tree.

Now if you're talking Voyager or one of those, no experience, no thoughts. Sorry.

8~\o

All of the Evo Dyna's must install a Carlini Torque Arm or it will break the inner primary. There is also a lot of frame flex that is unavoidable. Front exhaust pipe will hit the frame down tube when turning or loaded over bumps. Re-routing the exhaust slightly will cure that or maybe a different front pipe.

http://www.carlinidesign.com/Torque-Arms/

Attachments

• CARLINI.jpg
    CARLINI.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 112
Wife had an '01 FXD with a Motortrike Kit. Awesome little trike, but had an issue twice with the swingarm. Both times the swingarm shafts backed out and the side of the trike dropped. Had the installer re do it first time, did it myself the last time. The issue as I see it is the tapered bearings on the primary side. There's way too much stress on them, and if not torqued properly they get loose and the 7/16-20 bolt gets loose and drops out...not good. On hers happened at 10 and 20k after conversion.

Thanks all for confirming my suspicions. I suspected that the rubber mount design would be troublesome. The touring platform gets away with it because the swing arm pivots are outboard of the swing arm which greatly increases torsional stiffness. Since I want to build my own trike, I think I'll wait until I can find a suitable platform with a frame mounted swingarm that doesn't transfer the load into the engine/drivetrain mounts.

Bob

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ve7poi

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ve7poi
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png