Front tire wear

Aug 18, 2009
Huntsville, AL
I notice that the front tire on my GW MT has almost no grooves in the center of the tire (in the contact patch area). Since I am pretty new to trikes, I don't know if this is common, or if my front tire is in need of replacement. Can any of you seasoned vets lend me a bit of insight?

I bought the bike used, had it triked, and the front tire remains from the previous owner. I don't know if it was ever replaced on the bike or not.

Short answer - I don't know.

I've only got 4000+ on my Stock Tire on my 2010 Gold Wing Trike....I'm guessin' 6000 tops right now. Significant wear this last 1000 miles...:(.....oh well, been stickin' great though...the "Main Thing" with me.....:yes::cool:

DO NOT PUT A STOCK TIRE BACK ON..... Replace the front tire with a rear tire the same size as the one you take off the front. The original front 2 wheel tire is not designed to scrub corners it is designed to bend. U now want the rear tire properties. so the tire of choice is the Pilot Activ. I have found that almost any rear tire of the size you remove off the front will work 5 times better than the one on the bike . Some say put it on backwards . The jury is still out on that one . I did with mine . I now have 13,000 on mine and it looks like at least another 6k or 7K to go . you also want a Bias ply not a radial . I know you have a radial tires on the back ... yes you want a bias tire on the front not a radial they are much to soft. You will notice an improvement in handling in the firs 1 mile you drive it . i sear to GOD this is not a joke JUST DO it

dazed_smiley.gif
!sseug I ti od ot dias esle enoemos esuaceb tsuj ,wonk t'nod I

Yes, hitime, its time to change it over to something like the Michelin Pilot Activ as John indicated. It works way better than the originals. I mounted mine in normal rotation. Do a search on this site for "front tire" and you will find lots of information from actual users. All have experienced significant improvements in ride and handling.

Through experience I have found that most people take at least 50 people telling them that this is what they should do before they believe it and then do it. Then they become the evangelist for rear tire on front of trike <LOL>...It is hard for me to believe that peolple don't just believe this . I argued with a guy last week at Americade that refused to believe that you should not mount a radial tire on front just because you have them on back . This is not a CAR.

Please note that the recommended tire is the Michelin Pilot "Activ" (for a rear mount). There are other Michelin "Pilot" tire lines. Possibly, one of the Wing owners could give the exact size ?

The exact size is written on the side wall of the front tire that is now on your bike...Size is the same it is a PILOT ACTIV ( notice I did not put an e on the end of ACTIV because there is none . ORDER a PILOT ACTIV rear tire 130 x70x18 if u have a 1500 wing and if you have a 1200 Wing then it is 150x90x 18 and the 1800 GW is a 130x 70x 18.. now with the 1500 Gold Wing you can go to a 130 X80 x18 that is what I have, also any rear tire brand seems to work. People have had luck with the Battle Axe and the Venom The first tire was a Michlien Macadam 50 they are no longer available BUT the 130X80 18 will fit and gives you bettering handling.Soooooooo in a nut shell look at the tire you have on the front of your trike write down the # on the sidewall. Order a rear tire that size and mount it anyway you want.

I ordered a Pilot Activ Rear to replace my worn out Dunlop front stocker today....gonna' mount it "directionally correct" though...I just can't seem to grasp the "reverse direction thingie".....;):cool:

Yes you need a new tire. Your trike no longer leans so you will not wear on the sides. so from now on always buy a dual compound tire dunlope or bridgestone with the hard compound center. they grip good and wear longer.

Never heard about turning these around backward though? :confused:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png