Likes Likes:  4
Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How to change differential oil?

1+ Posts
    User ID

Default Need more info

I am new to Roadsmith trikes and goldwings and this forum. I have a question about my differential. I just bought a 2007 GL1800 with 2007 HT1800 conversion. The trike has 49,995 miles on it and it was triked when brand new. The differential is a 9 bolt. All 9 bolts go thru the plate and hold on the cover. There is no access hole thru the plate and no plug in the differential cover . I have not seen any pics of this kind of differential. The manual that came with the bike only shows the plate with the access hole I wire brushed the bottom and found the drain plug. The only place I can find access to refill is by removing the breather valve on the top of the differential. Before I start unscrewing things I am hoping that somebody that knows what they are doing can give me some guidance. I am planning a trip from NY to Arizona in the next month and the info on this forum says that this should be done. Thanks for the help.

TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID
    FT Author
    1 Thread

Did you look on the differential side. I'm fairly sure the drain and fill are not in the cover. Never seen that on any differential.
    2014 Tri Glide - Fat Bottom Girl, 2006 Gold Wing Comfort Navi Abs - Jessica, 2003 Gold Wing - Helga, 2014 HD Ultra Limited - Harley Quinn, 2008 Gold Wing with Champion Conversion - Fat Bottom Girl 2, 2001 Goldwing - Tweety, 2015, HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl, 2011 HD Ultra - Raven, 2006 K1200LT - Vianca, 2007 HD Ultra - Ice Blue, 2006 HD Ultra - Arctic Blast, 2004 Honda Goldwing - Snow White, 2001 Goldwing - Crimson Pearl, And Many More

1+ Posts
    User ID

Thanks for the reply. I went back out, put it up on jack stands and pulled the tires off and took another look. It was on the right side, directly facing the tire.

40+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Nels View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I went back out, put it up on jack stands and pulled the tires off and took another look. It was on the right side, directly facing the tire.
    Hello Nels, Welcome to the group. I just purchased an 08 GL1800 with 51,000 miles. I am going thru flushing all the fluids to discover that in 2014 when this scooter was triked with the R/S HTS they did not have the rear brake system connected with the front brakes like the OEM bike had. They now sell a kit with all the fittings to reconnect them. The kit is $27. I had my local R/S dealer order me a kit. The front brake pads on mine was worn unevenly due to what I assume is not having all the caliper pistons applying even pressure. Just replacing the pads and flushing the fluid made a big difference in stopping power. At 51,000 miles my clutch and front brake master cylinder reservoirs had a bunch of crap starting to collect at the bottoms.

Safe travels and enjoy your new toy.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456