Ordering Avon Trike Tire

Hello all,
Just a heads-up on an issue I got myself into to save $20 and something I think Avon needs to do to help their dealers. The new trike specific tire carries the same numbers as the regular front tire. I used Jake Wilson to purchase this new front tire and some other items. They get your order to you really quickly, I received my order in 2 days even with free shipping. Their website is really not detailed enough to make sure the trike tire is what I was ordering so I used the Live Chat Line. They assured me the tire I was looking was the trike tire. It is not. I called the 800 number the next day explaining the situation. The guy on the phone was very apologetic and did the research to find that they do not even sell this tire at this time as it is so new. He even checked one of their competitors stock to find that they were out of them and on back order. I am not paying to return this tire so I plan to mount it today. FYI, for those of you that use your dealer to mount your tire you need to register your tire on the Avon website with-in 10 days to get the 15,000 mile warranty. The tire I received still has this warranty too, but I do it myself. The guy on the phone was very helpful and advised that in the future if there is any question with a product listing to call them directly before ordering. He did tell me that he would notify his people that control the site and the Chat Line about this issue till they get their site updated. Avon lists the Material #, this number is what you need to look for on the websites if ordering on-line.

Avon frt tire for Gl1800 is 90000001167 or 90000001174. The Avon trike tire for the Gl1800 is 900000020646. At least that's what it shows on Avon's web sight
If you specifically stated you wanted the trike tire, I'd give your source another call and request to be paid for return shipment and either the correct tire be shipped or a total refund.
This trike tire has been available long enough there are several sources for immediate delivery

Last edited:
Avon frt tire for Gl1800 is 90000001167 or 90000001174. The Avon trike tire for the Gl1800 is 900000020646. At least that's what it shows on Avon's web sight
If you specifically stated you wanted the trike tire, I'd give your source another call and request to be paid for return shipment and either the correct tire be shipped or a total refund.
This trike tire has been available long enough there are several sources for immediate delivery

The thought did cross my mind but the doctor has ordered that I try to keep my stress level low. Work keeps me busy enough right now so I just decided to keep it, mount it, so I get back out for wind therapy sooner. Had I ordered the correct tire and they sent me the wrong one it would be different. I figure it was my mistake this time. This is why I posted what I did about Jake Wilson so others do not make the same mistake. I still think Avon needs to change their tire designation to avoid this issue instead of leaving it up to the dealers. Simply adding a "T" to the start of the size number or the end would do it. I will continue to use Jake Wilson so this thread is not meant to be bashing them.

I looked into the Avon Trike tire before buying my Commander II. There seems to be a lot of confusion with the sellers out there. I noticed some had the regular bike Avon pictured when stating it was a trike tire. I even called a couple on the net and they seemed confused with what I was asking. In the end I decided since tires are so important to me I would buy local and see what I was getting. At only 10 dollars more and no shipping I would spread give some money here. When I asked my Indy about the Avon he said he would see about getting some in. So next time I will try one. ThumbUp

Avon Trike Tire

I put a new Avon Trike Tire on my GL1800 Roadsmith last week before our long weekend in Maine. After using 2 MPA's on my GL1500 CSC, this is the first tire I've put on my Roadsmith. We put about 700 miles on it so far. It rides and handles great and I don't get the buzzing I got with the MPA. I'm running it at 40 PSI.

I have the Avon Trike tire on my Goldwing Trike now. I got 25K miles from my MPA and still have more tread. I wanted this tire on before we hit the road in June. I like it, it is smoother and no buzzing like the MPA. I do not notice that it handles better, but no more noise is good.

Our Street Glide has an 18" front wheel with 130/70/18 Dunlop. Am definitely going with one of the new Avons,when it's time for replacement.

I just ordered the Avon Trike Tire from JP Cycles this evening.
My BT-45 has just started slightly cupping on the right-hand side after 10K miles that included lots of twisties. Still a lot of tread left on it, but the cupping is gonna do it in quickly now. Ran 41 psi in it for it's entire life.
I also had one of the left side front wheel bearings going out on our way back from our western tour. I was about 15 miles from home when it started making noise...talk about lucking out...LOL. I actually had to cut the left side spacer and axle shaft in order to remove the wheel as the bearing was seized to the shaft big time.
Got all new parts coming my way as well as this new tire. Hopefully, get her all back together here shortly and ready to roll to the Mid-America Rally.

I took my trike to my dealer last week for a annual checkup. While it was there, I had him put a new Avon Trike tire on the front. I've used MPA's mounted in reverse since I bought it new in 06.
I picked it up friday and WOW, what a difference.
IMO, smoother ride and less noise from it, also steers better.

I took my trike to my dealer last week for a annual checkup. While it was there, I had him put a new Avon Trike tire on the front. I've used MPA's mounted in reverse since I bought it new in 06.
I picked it up friday and WOW, what a difference.
IMO, smoother ride and less noise from it, also steers better.
I had the dealer install an Avon Cobra Trike tire on my 2012 Tri Glide after 13k on the Dunlop. It is quiet and smooth. I will put it to the test tomorrow as I ride out to Washington,DC for Rolling Thunder. The dealer measured the tread depth at 10/32 center and 9/32 side. I hope to have good results to share. I bought the tire from Bikebandit for $125 delivered.

Am I missing something? What's so important about putting a replacement trike tire on the front of your trike? When I replaced my old front tire I put on a Dunlop MT E-3 running backward this time. We just got back from a short 2300 mile trip and can't tell any difference from the last two tires except it appears to be wearing better so far. Am I missing something?

PC

Am I missing something? What's so important about putting a replacement trike tire on the front of your trike? When I replaced my old front tire I put on a Dunlop MT E-3 running backward this time. We just got back from a short 2300 mile trip and can't tell any difference from the last two tires except it appears to be wearing better so far. Am I missing something?

Hi Phu Cat, I don't think you're missing anything. Lots of trikers use a rear tire mounted backwards on the front of their trikes with stellar results. I wanted to try the Avon tire first and if it lasts I will buy another one but if it proves to be unsatisfactory I will go the rear tire backwards route.

Got the AVON trike tire in last night. Nice looking tire and it will be the first AVON tire that I've personally used.

It's the first MC tire I've seen in quite some time with no white, yellow or red dot for balancing.

Without the dots, it is to be considered a weight neutral tire....just needs to be mounted and then balanced.

I personally use dynabeads. I haven't mounted it yet...maybe tomorrow.

I'm also still waiting on the replacement axle shaft and spacer to come in. Got the new bearings installed in the wheel, just waiting on the new shaft and spacer. Hopefully, they'll show up by Friday....fingers crossed.

I'm anxious to try this tire out.

I've got about 600 miles on a new Avon Trike front tire. I like the tire, the front feels "planted". The old Dunlop it replaced had about 14,000 miles; the Avon is advertised as a 15,000 mile tire, so there shouldn't be much difference in tread life. Compared to the Dunlop, the Avon tire profile is flatter in the center of the tread. It's got a wild looking tread pattern, but I haven't had it in the rain to assess its water channeling abilities.

PC

Many of us, particularly those whose live and ride in the twisties like I do in northern Arkansas, can only get about 5,000 miles out a standard front tire because a trike "scuffs" it in every turn. Flatlanders, like Florida, tend to do much better. Originally, trike drivers were using rear tires off of sport bikes because they are much heavier walled and gave much better mileage. I could get between 11 and 13,000 miles out of the Bt-45 which was my choice. Because the tires are heavy walled, they needed a full 41 psi and that gave a rough ride and you feel every blemish in the road because they are also bias ply tires instead of radials.

The Avon Cobra Trike tire was designed for trikes. It is a radial, has a flatter profile and puts more rubber on the road.

I found it rode much better, held onto the road better in the twisties without feeling like it was "skittering" at every imperfection. Bottom line for me, I am one my second one and will not go back to bias ply, sport bike tires. Just sayin...... :)

Finally, got my new axle in and got everything back together...along with the new Avon Trike tire on the trike.

First trip out was today was only a few miles up the road, but wow! What a difference in the feel with this thing. I like it. Hopefully, it will provides some miles to go with the smiles. The real comparison will take place once there are a few more miles on it. So far, great!

PC

Yeah .... there is now a tire being sold that is designed for the front of a Trike ..... not a tire designed for rear wheel use on a Bike and pressed into service as a steer tire ..... and it does a better job.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png