Quote Originally Posted by trikerbob59 View Post
Hi Xcalibre, I have never built using the Bus tranny, but I believe I can give you a little information concerning what you are trying to do.

First off, I do think you'd be ahead of the game to pick up an IRS rear end to start with. Since the trans is IRS you'll at least have suspension there that you won't have to try to build as well as axles. However the bug IRS axles have smaller CVC joints, its my understanding that a Bus CVC joint can be put on one end of the Bug axle so you can use the Bug axles. Don't know if you might have to modify the length though, but I assume you might have to. I do know you'll have to remove the Transmission horns that the standard 4 speed trans bolts to because the auto trans is larger and won't bolt up. You must build a hanging system to hang the trans in the torsion bar assembly. Let me just say, for someone with very little or no experience doing this, you are really biting off a big mouth full here. You should look for a type 3 full auto assembly to work with. I know they are getting very hard to find, but if you look hard enough, you can find one, even if you have to buy a complete car to get it, you'll be way ahead of the game. You will also need the shifter and cable as the VW trans requires the proper shifter since the indents are in the shifter, not in the trans. So finding a complete car, will get you all the parts you'll need to build with. Much Much easier than what you are attempting to do.

If I can be of any help, let me know.
I will agree 100% with what TB just said...sell what you have accumulated to re-coop your investment and start with something that will be more of puzzle with all the pieces than a puzzle with a lot of pieces missing...there is a guy here who is in a wheel chair and he used the complete back section of a type 3 squareback...another good source to build a trike is the Corvair platform...you can usually get those pretty cheap and the automatic ones are even cheaper cuz no one wants the auto car...parts are easy to find at Clark's Corvair parts.

VeeWee