Two year update on clear coating the stock wheels

Jun 15, 2013
Red Banks, MS
Two years ago we rattle can clear coated the stock rear wheels on our 2014 Tri-Glide.

It has been amazingly simple to clean them. Just some pledge and a cloth and all the dirt and grime comes off in a matter of less than a minute per wheel.

On the 2011 TG, that we did not clear coat, we could work for an hour and not get them as clean as one minute on the wheels we clear coated.

Now for the not so good news.

In the last 4 months or so there are spots where it seems the clear coat is either getting thin, or porous...can't really feel where it is missing, but there are spots where the grime seems to have penetrated thru the clear coat and the wheel is stained..similar to how the untreated wheels stain so easily.

Fortunately it is not everywhere, just a few spots here and there.

So it appears that the rattle canning clear coat has a relatively short useful lifespan of usefulness.

That said, even now, two years later, it is MUCH better than if we had not cleared it, and the last 2 years have been nice being able to easily wipe them clean.

While much better than doing nothing, with time it has shown that it is not the perfect solution.

Kevin

Sounds like a winner in my book.

Only a few spots is better than wheels that have all kinds of spots--like mine. And like you said, it takes real elbow grease to get those spots off, then they come right back. Wish I had thought of what you did when I first got mine. Life would be so much easier when it comes to clean up time.

according to Dr. Joe, who I PMed after we started a discussion about his mods and ESPECIALLY his wheel treatments, the hot setup:clapping: is to have a professional polisher do the aluminum areas first, and then they are much easier to keep after. Obviously not the primary solution for everyone (not the cheapest solution), it is something to consider if you are looking to keep the stock HD wheels and have them look good with the least effort. Maybe rattle-can after a good polish? Dunno, but I am still looking at options.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png