New Guy From Maryland

May 18, 2016
Elkridge
Hi Everyone!

New guy from Maryland, I currently ride a 2005 Electra Glide. I have been riding for 38 years on two wheels. My Electra Glide has 77k miles on it and it is time for a new toy. I am also a disabled police officer, and going to 3 wheels would make things a lot easier. I actually find myself avoiding rides over 30 or 45 minutes now and did not even break 2k miles in the last 2 years!

I went to Old Glory HD and test drove a new Tri Glide, to be honest I HATED IT. I almost canceled the test drive while I was still in the parking lot. I stuck with it, and we went on a 6 mile combination of straight roads (55 mph) and a nice twisty 35 mph road. Things got a little better as I went on.

It seems "darty" on the road, but I guess you get used to that, and it is really because of the immediate steering feedback I suppose.

We went on some curvy back roads, I felt as if i were near tipping on the curves. I was pretty much at 35 - so logically, I assume I am actually NOWHERE near the limit of the machine as far as tipping it over goes, but I am not 100% sure given how it feels. I now realize that I was not shifting myself from side to side in the turns and I was pulling to turn, not pushing - that may make a difference.

It is "more work" to ride on the back road, but I think some of that may be me working against myself making it worse than it really is. Does it feel more tippy with 2 up?

The roominess of the thing is FANTASTIC - I am 6'5 and 375 lbs, If I put my tall boy seat from my Electra Glide on it I would probably be even more comfy. Not sure if you can lower the floor boards or not, you at least do not have to worry about the reduced clearance!

That 103 is like a Cadillac motor compared to my 88 and I love the idea of having 6th gear.

Normally I would walk away and say it is not for me, but there are SO MANY people riding and enjoying them, I assume I am doing a few things wrong. Also, I find it "calling me". :xzqxz: I scheduled another test ride for this weekend, if that even goes just "OK" I will rent on for a day.

I would appreciate your thoughts...

Welcome from Ky!

It takes some getting used to just like when you started riding 2- wheels. I took a couple of test rides before before I bought my first trike,but health issues were forcing me to quit riding or buy a trike! The first trike I bought was 120 miles from home. When I took off for home I was pretty nervous but by the time I got home I way more relaxed and knew I had made the right decision. You will find it to be way more relaxing once you get used to it because it won't fall over. You can ride as slow want to and sight see or twist the throttle and haul a$$. Just take your time and get used to it. Also a full face helmet will help keep the bugs out of your teeth because of all the smiling! :D:D:D
By the way I'm 6'7" and 295 so I know what you're talking about when it comes to room,plus you can move around more without upsetting the trike!

Welcome from NY.
First of all steering is a push-pull method. It takes a lot to tip over, example: dropping a rear wheel off the road or something really stupid. On your demo ride , the dealer runs high rear tire pressures giving it a rigid ride. Bring a pressure gage with you. After your out of sight, adjust the front to 35psi , and the rears to 22 psi. Then drive it. Also note it's not top heavy with 2up, just have to respect it so you don't get a passenger earful.
Good luck and don't be afraid and ride in the middle of the road-very important ThumbUp

welcome aboard. the posts above cover the test ride issue. There is a learning curve and I suggest 400 miles before real comfort starts to set in. Why don't you see if you can rent one for a weekend and put some miles on it noting to set the tire pressure and also the pressure in the shocks. Start out at 35 and go down a lb at a time till you find the spot that works for you. If you ride 2 up most of the time test it that way. Good Luck.

I think your intuitions are correct as pertains to so many peeps enjoy them..I have a true triked sportster 1200. I have gotten used to the darty way it handles and have coped with it by very slowly moving side to side. Shifting in seat in the direction of the turn has become second nature...my bike is equipped with EasySteer (raked forks) and this makes steering much easier....I also go into curves slower than the warning signs suggest

Bumps in the road seem to make the ride a bit more "unsteady" sometimes, seeing as how the bumps often affect just one rear wheel or the other...So I tend to ride somewhat slower than I do on my two wheeler.

I predict you'll be happy with a trike.

BTW, Welcome..............

Welcome to TT!
Others pretty much covered it. Takes a few hundred miles before you will get used to riding a trike. In no time at all you will find your self going thru the twisties with ease.

Welcome from Wisconsin, when I took a test ride the salesman told me "You're probably going to hate it at first". He also said after a couple of rides you'll love it, he was right on both counts. Ride safe.

Hello from SE Iowa, Robert. I know what you mean, we got our first trike this spring and it has been a love-hate relationship. There are some things I like and some I don't, but I'm coming around. It's not a bike, but it is a way to stay in the wind. Good luck.

MD Trike Rider

I know the feeling so well I went and brought a trike this year rode and raced 2 wheels all my life retired military and a little disabled. I only got to ride it about 8 times got it late in the summer and it rained and rained the more i ride it the better I am enjoying it. It really takes time to get use to there is a nice place to ride and a good meal Union Hotel take a trip this summer and let me know enjoy.The place is in Cecil County on Route 222 heading up to the dam on Route 1

New guy from Maryland, I currently ride a 2005 Electra Glide. I have been riding for 38 years on two wheels. My Electra Glide has 77k miles on it and it is time for a new toy. I am also a disabled police officer, and going to 3 wheels would make things a lot easier. I actually find myself avoiding rides over 30 or 45 minutes now and did not even break 2k miles in the last 2 years!

I went to Old Glory HD and test drove a new Tri Glide, to be honest I HATED IT. I almost canceled the test drive while I was still in the parking lot. I stuck with it, and we went on a 6 mile combination of straight roads (55 mph) and a nice twisty 35 mph road. Things got a little better as I went on.

It seems "darty" on the road, but I guess you get used to that, and it is really because of the immediate steering feedback I suppose.

We went on some curvy back roads, I felt as if i were near tipping on the curves. I was pretty much at 35 - so logically, I assume I am actually NOWHERE near the limit of the machine as far as tipping it over goes, but I am not 100% sure given how it feels. I now realize that I was not shifting myself from side to side in the turns and I was pulling to turn, not pushing - that may make a difference.

It is "more work" to ride on the back road, but I think some of that may be me working against myself making it worse than it really is. Does it feel more tippy with 2 up?

The roominess of the thing is FANTASTIC - I am 6'5 and 375 lbs, If I put my tall boy seat from my Electra Glide on it I would probably be even more comfy. Not sure if you can lower the floor boards or not, you at least do not have to worry about the reduced clearance!

That 103 is like a Cadillac motor compared to my 88 and I love the idea of having 6th gear.

Normally I would walk away and say it is not for me, but there are SO MANY people riding and enjoying them, I assume I am doing a few things wrong. Also, I find it "calling me". :xzqxz: I scheduled another test ride for this weekend, if that even goes just "OK" I will rent on for a day.

I would appreciate your thoughts...[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• 5983.jpeg
    5983.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 178
I suggest you give it a little time, and you will get on to it and like it. Like a strong willed woman hate them at first then you fall in love with them and it's all over but the shouting. Trikes are so much fun a motorcycle they are not but it sure beats sitting on the porch. Welcome to the forum :newyearparty:Ride safe Fred

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png