Motor Trike 3rd Generation Driveshaft zerk fitting

Feb 5, 2016
Monterey, TN, USA
I found out the hard way, after my purchase that if you own a 2001-early 2005 GL1800 and you have a Motor Trike kit with the 3rd generation driveshaft, lubing the front u-joint is not going to happen. That is because the u-joint zero fitting is further back in the frame and no way to go straight in to lube it.

So after careful examination I thought, "Why do I have to go straight in?" I rolled the trike and positioned the zerk fitting pointed straight up. Now there is something that I can work on. So I got onto my computer and began a search for 90 degree grease couplers. After researching them all I concluded that this coupler might work for this application.

http://www.amazon.com/Lumax-LX-1404-Silver-Degree-Coupler/dp/B000MS5T42

So I ordered my coupler and waited for it to arrive. Upon arrival, I took it apart and placed the 90 degree end onto my flexible hose of my grease gun, and almost like magic, it works. Now here are some things you need to do first before plunging into the cavity. After transferring the coupler onto your flex hose, use any zero fitting to "break in" the new coupler. The jaws of it are extremely tight and you need to do this, trust me. Next when you snake the fitting in place, either have someone hold a flashlight or use a shop light to see. Place the end of the coupler on top of the zerk fitting after rotating it straight up. Do this by coming in from the front side on an angle and rotate it straight up. There is not a lot of room under there, the starter is in the way. And finally use a long handled straight screwdriver to push the coupler onto the zerk fitting. When done just rotate it to the side, and use your screwdriver to pop it off.

Here is what it look like installed on the end of my hose:

IMG_1078.JPG

Here is where I enter to get to the zerk fitting (under the right side transmission cover):

IMG_1077.JPG

And finally here is the coupler on the zerk fitting, ready for action:

IMG_1076.JPG

Sorry for the position of the photos, my IPhone rotated them.

I really hope this helps all of you in this situation. Please feel free to PM me if you have any concerns or questions.

Thanks for the write up. Do you know if my 2006/07 GW/Motor Trike has such a grease fitting?
Bill

Bill, it depends on which Motor Trike conversion and drive shaft you have. If you have an older solid axle conversion is it quit possible you do not even have a Zerk fitting on the front U-Joint. From what I have seen all MT independent suspension conversions do have the grease fitting though.

If you have own an IRS conversion and have not upgraded to the most recent version (call it Gen 3) then you will still have the old style front U-Joint with the Zerk fitting in the actual joint. The new Gen 3 drive shaft front yoke assembly is painted bright green. Take off the right side cover (chrome one) and look where Steve showed the Zerk fitting to be located.

If that yoke is green then you may be in luck. Since you have an '06 the Zerk fitting will be accessible directly through this hole without using the 90 degree grease gun adapter. The Zerk fitting is right in the end of the front U-Joint journal. Here is a picture of the fitting on the '06 I use to own.

Front Lube Access.JPG

Hope that helps you. :xszpv::xszpv:

When I was on the hunt in 2011 for a GW trike conversion, the Motor Trike man told me the drive shaft had to be dropped for lube, and that was a shop job, preferably once a year, that's why I chose RoadSmith. Maybe that was 'bad' info? Can't imagine why the tech would tell me that if it wasn't true, did I dream it???? Hmmmm

When I was on the hunt in 2011 for a GW trike conversion, the Motor Trike man told me the drive shaft had to be dropped for lube, and that was a shop job, preferably once a year, that's why I chose RoadSmith. Maybe that was 'bad' info? Can't imagine why the tech would tell me that if it wasn't true, did I dream it???? Hmmmm

Bill your tech was correct at the time but there have been improvements over the years. The Gen 3 shaft came out after that (around 2014 I think) and is a total redesign from Gen 1 and 2. Motor Trike use to outsource their drive shaft manufacturing. When they brought it "in house" and reengineered it many improvements were made. The accessibility of that front Zerk fitting was one of them.

Motor Trike recommends lubing the U-Joints every 6000 miles. For some that might mean annually - for others more than twice a year. A couple shots of fresh grease makes the roller bearings happy... :) I still would drop the drive shaft every couple years at the most and lube the splines in the drive line with MOLY GREASE. Depending on which conversion you have, there will be more or fewer splines but the grease on them does need to be refreshed from time to time. IMHO.... :xszpv::xszpv:

Thanks Gold, that clarifies my confusion. Too little too late for me, or I'd be riding the MT, 'cause I was not real big on riding all the way to Daytona Beach for the conversion, when MT is 20 or less from my house. However, a reason for everything and everything for a reason.

Bill, it depends on which Motor Trike conversion and drive shaft you have. If you have an older solid axle conversion is it quit possible you do not even have a Zerk fitting on the front U-Joint. From what I have seen all MT independent suspension conversions do have the grease fitting though.

If you have own an IRS conversion and have not upgraded to the most recent version (call it Gen 3) then you will still have the old style front U-Joint with the Zerk fitting in the actual joint. The new Gen 3 drive shaft front yoke assembly is painted bright green. Take off the right side cover (chrome one) and look where Steve showed the Zerk fitting to be located.

If that yoke is green then you may be in luck. Since you have an '06 the Zerk fitting will be accessible directly through this hole without using the 90 degree grease gun adapter. The Zerk fitting is right in the end of the front U-Joint journal. Here is a picture of the fitting on the '06 I use to own.

View attachment 36213

Hope that helps you. :xszpv::xszpv:
Thank you for the response. I'm going to be replacing my air bags this next week and while I have it jacked up I'll look it over.
Bill

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziQ

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziQ
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png