Ordered a new stainless tank & some new gauges :-)

As Gorilla states, long ago issues for Ford & their Pinto cars with exploding gas tanks in an accident!

- - - Updated - - -

As Gorilla states, long ago issues for Ford & their Pinto cars with exploding gas tanks in an accident!
What tank are you currently using?

The Previous owner used a black fiberglass Sewage tank. I was wondering why the filter kept clogging. The fuel was eating the resin and distributing it throughout the carbs and engine. I pulled the motor and building a new 1776.

This fiberglass was so low, it was scraping all the time. Talk about a hazard!
n4.JPG

Well I like the look of that tank too. Trying to make it fit without it looking like an afterthougt is the hard part. Not much room on these vdubs. Good luck with it and post them in progress pics.

From the options you listed I think Option D is the best/safest.
Its not in back where it could be hazard if someone hits you from behind and it is not blocking access to your engine.
I think if you mount it in the back you will find it is in the way when you want to work on your engine

On top it is out of the way but it takes up possible storage room.
I think a storage rack on the back of your trike would serve you well but you cant do that if you put the gas tank there

From the options you listed I think Option D is the best/safest.
Its not in back where it could be hazard if someone hits you from behind and it is not blocking access to your engine.
I think if you mount it in the back you will find it is in the way when you want to work on your engine

On top it is out of the way but it takes up possible storage room.
I think a storage rack on the back of your trike would serve you well but you cant do that if you put the gas tank there

As Fowler states, you will run into a storage issue. I had pretty much the exact same issue with storage when I went to put a 11 gallon tank on mine.

As you can see from the picture below, I solved that issue by cutting part of the body and building a small flat bed for the tank as well as storage behind.

IMG_0034.JPG

After putting the bed on, I purchased a storage trunk that was made for a rack on a ATV four wheeler.

I grabbed this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IUMZ92/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked out perfect for my application. The bed that I built is 32" wide by 24" deep.

My longer plans are to build some upright "stakes" that come up about 10 to 12 inches and be able to drape some chrome or silver chain between the uprights. Then if I prefer to remove the storage trunk I can install the stakes and it wouldn't look so bare.

Maybe you could fab something similar and have it work great for the fuel tank and a storage area.

Stinger, I like that idea with a little adjustment
If his back deck is long enough he could mount the tank on it then have a set of "saddle bags" made to fit on the back end and over the sides some.
custom fit to the rear end
I have seen a few like that around.

BUT it would not be cheap to have a custom bag/trunk made like that and I am cheap!

Myself I think I would mount the tank on top and then create a custom fiberglass luggage compartment around the tank.
Fab it up in cardboard or construction paper first then fiberglass it. I have done a lot of projects like that.
You can make it fit what you have
Check out how I did the back of my Trike http://3fowlers.com/ass.html Scroll down a little
After you fiberglass it, you pressure wash the paper off and paint how you want.
You could make it removable with lids and everything

This is still not cheap but cheaper than a custom bag and you can do it a little at a time

The stainless tank came in today. I am adding a new duel tube bumper to the rear of the trike for safety. The tank will be secured on a heavy gauge stainless steal plate. The mounting plate will be secured to the original engine guard and the new rear bumper. More pictures to come as soon as the new bumper gets here early next week.
P2130006.JPGbumper.pngP1170001.JPG

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carl-FLRT

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carl-FLRT
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png