LED Headlight

Nov 4, 2015
palm bay
A tad less than a year ago I bought a LED headlight bulb from a vendor at a local H-D dealer event. I was pleased with it but last week it failed. The company listed on my receipt said it wasn't their product so I called the vendor I bought it from. He said he'd replace it once - that the unit I bought had only a 3-year warranty vs a lifetime warranty as described on my receipt. OK I can live with that and am mailing him the failed unit. Hopefully I'll get a new one soon.

Meanwhile I went looking for a replacement just in case. I found the same thing for $39.95 at

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...FRIbgQodEmEAjQ.

Part Number: H4-HLV3-M

UPC: 847781061956

I paid over $122 for the one that died. Stupid me.

A tad less than a year ago I bought a LED headlight bulb from a vendor at a local H-D dealer event. I was pleased with it but last week it failed. The company listed on my receipt said it wasn't their product so I called the vendor I bought it from. He said he'd replace it once - that the unit I bought had only a 3-year warranty vs a lifetime warranty as described on my receipt. OK I can live with that and am mailing him the failed unit. Hopefully I'll get a new one soon.

Meanwhile I went looking for a replacement just in case. I found the same thing for $39.95 at

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...FRIbgQodEmEAjQ.

Part Number: H4-HLV3-M

UPC: 847781061956

I paid over $122 for the one that died. Stupid me.

Update - I sent the failed unit to the seller and got a new one back so I can't complain.

Love to try it from DK, but description says you will get Canbus error code and no way around this yet.
any thoughts?

Hi,Bob. From talking to Kevin and Dwayne back at the shop,the newer bikes w/CANbus require at least 1.2amps of power draw for the headlight circuit or an error code might display. This will not effect the operation or use of our LED bulb in any way but at this time there is no way to disable this. However, while it may happen, the incidences of it doing so have been very,very minimal.

canbus error

Hi,Bob. From talking to Kevin and Dwayne back at the shop,the newer bikes w/CANbus require at least 1.2amps of power draw for the headlight circuit or an error code might display. This will not effect the operation or use of our LED bulb in any way but at this time there is no way to disable this. However, while it may happen, the incidences of it doing so have been very,very minimal.
A resister installed between the wire going to the light to ground will make it draw 1.5 amps.

CANbus Resistor Inquiry

OK, I have a 2015 Freewheeler, (CANbus) that I will be adding a set of Auxiliary lights to this winter. I planned on running all (Aux and Headlight) just off the headlight power feed. So, if I converted all (Headlight and Aux) to DKs LEDs, would that have enough current draw? And, if not, what would be the capacity of the needed resistor?

Springman

OK, I have a 2015 Freewheeler, (CANbus) that I will be adding a set of Auxiliary lights to this winter. I planned on running all (Aux and Headlight) just off the headlight power feed. So, if I converted all (Headlight and Aux) to DKs LEDs, would that have enough current draw? And, if not, what would be the capacity of the needed resistor?

Springman

Advance Auto $15 Sylvania Load Resistor 12 volt 6 ohms.

Bob :D

Advance Auto $15 Sylvania Load Resistor 12 volt 6 ohms.

Bob :D

That is a 72Watt resistor! I think that would be a VERY big resistor and sort of excessive for this application!

Can't we dial it in a bit? What we need is the actual current loads for the LED Headlight and the two Aux LED bulb/assembly. With the knowledge of that total current load we can determine if simply adding the AUX lights will increase the current demand to the levels needed by the CANbus to not error...or, if a ballast resistor is needed the exact one......most likely smaller than a 72 watt resistor - thus more efficient and less heat......

So, can DK Customs give us current loads for their LED units?

Springman

That is a 72Watt resistor! I think that would be a VERY big resistor and sort of excessive for this application!

Can't we dial it in a bit? What we need is the actual current loads for the LED Headlight and the two Aux LED bulb/assembly. With the knowledge of that total current load we can determine if simply adding the AUX lights will increase the current demand to the levels needed by the CANbus to not error...or, if a ballast resistor is needed the exact one......most likely smaller than a 72 watt resistor - thus more efficient and less heat......

So, can DK Customs give us current loads for their LED units?

Springman

Yes it might be a bit excessive .... and the only way to know the proper value is to know the loads required to make the system work properly.

thanks, I' ll order and give it a try.

- - - Updated - - -

i wish ; have you seen the worth of our Canadian dollar lately !

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png