Harley Guardian Bell

Zammy

20500+ Posts
Jan 15, 2015
W. Florida
Or Gremlin bell, lots of names for these. Our daughter and son-in-law just gave us one and for those of you that have one I was wondering where on the trike you've placed it. According to lore it's supposed to be low down on the bike so where do you have yours, need some ideas.

Bell

Same here.......also put one up high (hanging from handlebars) don't want them little buggers jumpin/sneaking up on me......after 40+ years of
riding it's worked purdy darn well!
ThumbUp

View attachment 36284

Just in front of the oil filter. I took this picture when I was relocating the oil filter and adding the oil cooler. Jim

Picture is turned sideways, dang it.

That's also where I stuffed my XIED's on mine. It's a good spot for a bell. Apparently this area has a bell thief. I had one stolen. I truly hope karma gets that jerk.

Something interesting, though. If you select the image and then select view image, it shows correctly.

They only work if someone gifts to to you... Won't work if you buy your own...
How do i know, I bought one the other day i put it on and my Wife was watching me hanging it on the trike in my garage, And as i was backing out of the garage' She distracted me by asking whats that silly thing for?

Backed right over her foot...Lucky it didn't damage the Trike.... Then again maybe they do work....:)

Yup, tiewrapped under the front floorboards... both of them. One from the wife, one from the daughter, both bought in Sturgis during the 75th. Just need to find a Blessing Of The Bikes and I'll be bulletproof! :cool:

Question

When my best friend died, I bought his trike from his family.There saw a bell already on it. I'm going with the feeling that he meant me to have it.

Does that count as a gift from him, or do I need another one?

Yup, old school is they must be freely given, not bought for oneself or even hinted that a bell is wanted.
Usually it was a small bell made of brass (but I have seen cowbells on old choppers) picked up from Grandma's junk drawer, a flea market, rummage sale or Pier One back before they got trendy and stopped selling cheaper imports from India. It took a little effort to find them, which made the gift that much more thoughtful.
There weren't the specifically made bells with angels, winged wheels and such on them along with the cutesy card explaining "The Legend Of The Bell" that changes depending on the marketing & advertising department's theory on what story will sell more bells.
The instructions I got is that they go low and forward to keep the road gremlins away. What they are really about is that when you hear them tinkle or clean them you are reminded of friendship, someone cares and wants you to be safe.
My first bell was given to me when I was 14 by a friend's dad, the first 1%er I knew. Is was a brass sleighbell, and it has been on every bike since. It has lived on the Harley for the past 23 years, and I have been given a bell for the Bonneville, a friend gave us one for the Goldwing trike and I got a bell for Gloria for her new Roadhawk.
I do buy a bell once in a while and put it on my own bike, but not for me.

The new one is a giveaway bell - something neat about removing a used bell off my bike and attaching it on someone else.

It's like it has some good karma built up to transfer to the new ride.

hate to say it but the bikes in the junk yards have bells hanging all over them. if people want to believe in these thing i'm all for it. i've bought and gave away a few because it made me feel good about doing it and every time they look at it or someone askd them about the bell, they can tell them where they got it. even after i'm dead and gone.

hate to say it but the bikes in the junk yards have bells hanging all over them. if people want to believe in these thing i'm all for it. i've bought and gave away a few because it made me feel good about doing it and every time they look at it or someone askd them about the bell, they can tell them where they got it. even after i'm dead and gone.

You got it - the "gremlin" part is just a bit of fun, there isn't anything magical about the bike bells, unless you consider brotherhood, friendship and caring a bit of magic in today's world.

Got a bell from a friend and hung it under the right floorboard. The other day when cleaning my trike after a long run I noticed that the bell was missing but the dong was still hanging there, what are the rules, do I buy a replacement or wait until someone gives me one ?

You got it - the "gremlin" part is just a bit of fun, there isn't anything magical about the bike bells, unless you consider brotherhood, friendship and caring a bit of magic in today's world.

yes ! the world can use more of this . that's why these bells are fun to give as gifts. what else can you give a person who just bought a new bike that would mean as much as this ?

yes ! the world can use more of this . that's why these bells are fun to give as gifts. what else can you give a person who just bought a new bike that would mean as much as this ?

+1! My wife and I always gift a bell to our friends and riding crew whenever they buy a new ride. It might be hokie but it is a fun tradition.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, got a couple of good ideas, I think I'll use the leather thong and a zip tie just for the heck of it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png