New Gas Cap Issues?

Mar 15, 2016
Clermont, FL USA
Had the trike almost 2 months. Went to get gas today before our group ride and had a hell of a time getting the gas cap off, and then back on again. Almost like the thread was stripped or something. Hadn't had any problems before. When we got to the dealership to meet everyone, I started asking around. Turns out the service manager tells us it's a known, new problem in the Southeast U.S., and this dealer had to replace maybe 10 gas caps just in the last few weeks (warranty fortunately). Kicker is, the new cap works fine, but there are no guarantees it won't eventually stop working too as it is supposedly the exact same design as the factory installed cap. They are guessing it's some combination of the fuel mixture and weather in this part of the country distorting the plastic threads on the new cap. H-D is aware of the problem and working on it.

Gas cap

I've never heard of that issue - years ago HD used
all metal caps......sounds like maybe anther situation
where darn 'plastic' may not be FINAL ANSWER!
Just My Opinion
:gah:

thanks for the heads up. Any particular years?

Mine, and the one right beside me today with the same problem, are both 2016's. From the other post here with this problem, looks like his is 2015. I didn't ask about what years today. I just assumed it had to be a new problem or they would have had it fixed already. However, I'm also wondering if it is happening to other HD's with similar gas tanks?

I rented a 2016 Tri Glide here in Scottsdale, AZ. I experienced the same problem when I went to filler up before returning. It felt like you were screwing on a cap that wasn't going on straight. I did mention it to the rental guy and he did say that it is a known problem and they have actually replaced like 10 caps on bikes from their dealership. Not sure what a cap cost, but it would sure be a pain to have to keep buying one.

Unrelated but similar--I had an '09 Night Train that they did a recall job on the threads into the tank. Supposed to have similar issues to yours if the job wasn't done. Of course I didn't own the Night Train until '15 and I didn't experience the issue. The dealership just automatically did the recall job.

My 16 is the same way so when it goes in for its first service i will tell them,thanks for the heads up.Having Arthritis in my hands makes it very difficult to remove some times.

my 15 had the same problem. take a file and file down the first part of the cap right before the threads start. one lap around this smooth part of the cap is all it takes. mine is smooth as can be now and has been for a long time. quality control is blind and even if they give you a new cap it may be the same way. junk chinese crap. file it and it's fixed for good.

my 15 had the same problem. take a file and file down the first part of the cap right before the threads start. one lap around this smooth part of the cap is all it takes. mine is smooth as can be now and has been for a long time. quality control is blind and even if they give you a new cap it may be the same way. junk chinese crap. file it and it's fixed for good.

Had a recall for this issue on a 2010 Heritage tank. Dealer had a tap like gadget tool that he screwed into the tank. Took about 30 seconds to do in the HD parking lot. Didn't even empty the fuel.

Still have the bike and still works great today. Same cap and no file.

i'm refering to the touring bikes. completely different tanks. the touring bikes problem is the cap, not the tanks. didn't know the softails were having problems also.

Update today, dealership salesman said it seems to be a problem all over the country with all the HD touring models using that same gas cap from the late 2015's to the 2016's. He said that because of many different things lately like this problem, there seems to be an oncoming push from above at HD for greater quality control and auditing of generic parts made by contractors, and a possible push to move back to more proprietary parts. Cost might go up, but so would quality. Hmmm, that's another debate for another forum. :)

Update today, dealership salesman said it seems to be a problem all over the country with all the HD touring models using that same gas cap from the late 2015's to the 2016's. He said that because of many different things lately like this problem, there seems to be an oncoming push from above at HD for greater quality control and auditing of generic parts made by contractors, and a possible push to move back to more proprietary parts. Cost might go up, but so would quality. Hmmm, that's another debate for another forum. :)

Derailing a bit, but you mentioned inferior parts put on HDs from the factory. My entire horn assembly bracket broke completely in two as I was riding down the road. I just so happened to look down as I was riding, and there it dangled.

I've heard this has also been an issue from 14 and up. They switched vendors around that time. Heard this from Kevin of DK Customs.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png