Rear main seal drip...

Apr 27, 2016
Spokane, WA USA
From above the bottom motor mount between the motor and gearbox. All other drips are fixed, but this issue just persists. The drip pan show overnight accumulation. Is it time to pull the motor and fly wheel? Will I have to disturb the rest of the motor while replacing the seal? I am just a little bummed.

I stepped up to a flame thrower distributor and bosch coil for spark and the new valve covers...

P1190002.JPG
P1190004.JPG
P1190006.JPG

Attachments

• P1190008.JPG
    P1190008.JPG
    686.7 KB · Views: 145
i had a 71 and a 73 Bettle both of them dripped at that spot.. Both engines had over 150 thousand miles with out a problem.. I sold the 71 for the 73 that one had over 160 thousand miles before it was totaled by a red light runner in Manhattan. That said i'm the type of guy who just leaves things alone till it breaks.. Then i'll fix it...:Shrug:

I would pull the engine. Check the flywheel isn't loose. The torque on the nut is well over 200 ft lbs. we've got people here with more experience than me. I'm sure you'll hear from them. Its new build thats my concern.

I you want to stop the leak you gotta take it apart.
The rear seal or a loose flywheel is a common problem.*
If it has been all apart the cam plug can leak.

What is the best main seal/clutch/flywheel to purchase.

While replacing the main seal, I will take a good look and inspect the flywheel. I will look for saturation on the clutch too.

I can't imagine that the clutch has too much oil leakage on it, but I am feeling slight gear slippage at higher revs. I am going to adjust and see if I can get that taken care of.

:cool:

I had a leak like that. I thought it was the "rear" main seal. (front/rear we know what seal we are talking about)
anyway I pulled the engine and found it was the cam plug.

Dave,

That is a very common leak, especially after having an engine sit for a long time.

If you don't have one of these tools:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7036

I would get one man. They are priceless when it comes to removing/installing flywheel and rear hubs.

As for the "best" seal you'll find that most companies sell the red silicon seal. That is probably the best a person is going to find. Don't go to NAPA or any other local parts house as they will most likely sell you the black rubber type and they are not that good of a seal.

Pitting holes in the end of the crank. Re-ringed only after told that it was a full new build. Opened the engine and it is what it is. I do not trust the build up of the 1600.

I am putting in a different motor. 1776 coming soon. More details to come.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png