Heim Joint broke in the middle of Nashville

Jan 20, 2011
Dexter, MO, USA
I was out on a ride this weekend with a group of good friends chasing waterfalls in Tn. We were in Nashville and I had to stop at a traffic light and when I pushed down on the break I heard a big pop from the front:AGGHH:. Well needless to say I pulled into the first parking lot and checked out what made the sound. I had a good idea because I didn't have any breaks. The heim joint on the down tube broke and when it did it let the brake caliper swing loose and broke the break line. With the help of my friends we took the caliper and bracket off and clamped the line and put some break fluid in bled the breaks and I was on the road. I've made it home and ordered new heim joints and waiting for a return call from Richard at Thoroughbred on where to get a new break line. Hope I'm now out too long!

Trivia questions: How many people does it take to add break fluid to a Stallion? 3

1 to hold the can of break fluid and pour slowly.

2 to hold the flex tube so you can route it to the break fluid reservoir, take two hands.

3 to hold the tube from up top and watch the fluid level.

Sorry to hear, not fun to brake down anywhere.
If you end up getting new down tubes, good luck and I hope
you have better luck than me. I have been asking to have a new
set of tubes built for my beast for 2 years now and all I get
is we don't have the materials to do this project.:mad:

Good luck
Dragon

Ed how many miles on your Stallion. I think we may want to suggest this as a replacement item before the need comes up like you. I just did MJ's and she had 80k on hers. Sounds like you handled the situation well. Good Job let us all know about the brake line part.

Hi Ed
you did not actually brake the tube itself did you, or mounting bracket ?
as far as the brake line, you can go to many places that make lines and
get one made and also in whatever color you want probably while you wait.

good luck
Dragon

Replaced the heim joints and the brake line is going the be here Wednesday. I counld not fine any part store in the area that had the break lines but I got one from Speagler coming and I will post all the info (part numbers of each) as soon as they get here. I'm not sure I'm spelling "Speagler" right but they are the company that made the break line for the Stallion.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carl-FLRT

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carl-FLRT
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png